Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Do any of you guys use enhancers to boost training ?

VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
edited February 2013 in Training, fitness and health
I was wondering if any of you guys take additives to enhance training.
For me, im after anything to assist weight loss and enable longer training, ive not really done any kind of training for 20 years so I dont want to hit a wall and give up before I start.
I am going to a spin class this evening to kick my training off and then see where it takes me.
Living MY dream.
«1

Posts

  • Just ride your bike.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,767
    VTech wrote:
    For me, im after anything to assist weight loss

    diet, maybe?
  • ShutUpLegsShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    VTech wrote:
    ive not really done any kind of training for 20 years so I dont want to hit a wall and give up before I start.

    Do you mean Exercise or specific Training :?:
  • I take one sugar in my tea.....?
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 5,990
    'Enhancers'?

    Like poppers or something?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • StrithStrith Posts: 541
    Raisins mostly. Get em in before WADA ban them.
  • mattshropsmattshrops Posts: 1,134
    NapoleonD wrote:
    'Enhancers'?

    Like poppers or something?

    Strap on Jack?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • VTech wrote:
    I was wondering if any of you guys take additives to enhance training.
    For me, im after anything to assist weight loss and enable longer training, ive not really done any kind of training for 20 years so I dont want to hit a wall and give up before I start.

    a good diet and some gentle exercise.
    I am going to a spin class this evening to kick my training off and then see where it takes me.

    good luck. make it fun, enjoy yourself. make it a habit. start cycling on the road/trails. you'll soon see your fitness increase and your weight drop. there is no need to worry about anything to "assist" you.

    Ric
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    My personal issue has always been sweet food, crisps, sweats etc.
    I travel a lot for work so often eat in restaurants at hotels and do little exercise in general. when in my office I sit on my bum in front of a computer so again, not good for fitness levels.
    Living MY dream.
  • SBezzaSBezza Posts: 2,173
    VTech wrote:
    My personal issue has always been sweet food, crisps, sweats etc.
    I travel a lot for work so often eat in restaurants at hotels and do little exercise in general. when in my office I sit on my bum in front of a computer so again, not good for fitness levels.

    I am not much different to be honest, and you shouldn't use it as an excuse to be honest. You can still train/exercise when away with work (though icy car parks on a turbo are not the most enjoyable experiences), and you can still eat decently in a restaurant if you want to.

    Cut down on the processed foods and eat as healthy a diet as you can, if you do this weight will come off, weight loss is more about what you eat than how much you exercise to be honest, though obviously exercising helps with getting the weight off if the diet is good.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm like you; I sit at a pc most days, and when I'm not doing that I'm sitting in a car / on a plane and then in a hotel and then in a day long meeting etc etc.

    I just ride my bike as often as I can; sometimes that's quite a lot, sometimes it's hardly at all, but whenever I'm out I try to get as good a workout as I can. I was out several times during the recent chilly spell, and rarely use the weather as an excuse not to ride. This week the gale force winds are adding a certain frisson when going down hill!

    The other thing I have to do is watch what I eat all the time. Both in terms of quality and calorific content. At the moment due to gluttony I'm at my post-Christmas fattest, but the house is now devoid of chocolates, mince pies, cheese, christmas cake, shortbread and seasonal booze, so I know if I just stick to my 3 modest meals a day and keep hopping on the bike then the weight will fall off.

    Don't be tempted to look for shortcuts, pills or supplements. Unless you're competing at an Elite level good diet and frequent, occasionally challenging rides should be enough.
  • EPO and roids all the way VTech, welcome to the club.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    d87francis wrote:
    EPO and roids all the way VTech, welcome to the club.

    Ill get online and place my orders now.
    Living MY dream.
  • HerbsmanHerbsman Posts: 2,029
    Sitting at a computer all day is almost perfect for cycling, as it gives your legs a rest. Make sure to use a footstool.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Herbsman wrote:
    Sitting at a computer all day is almost perfect for cycling, as it gives your legs a rest. Make sure to use a footstool.


    You serious ?
    Im sat here now with my feet firmly on the floor, in my office.
    Living MY dream.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I went out last night and battered my legs riding around in a gale, and now here I am sitting at my desk in the recovery phase. Just get up and walk about a bit every 20 minutes or so.
  • HerbsmanHerbsman Posts: 2,029
    VTech wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    Sitting at a computer all day is almost perfect for cycling, as it gives your legs a rest. Make sure to use a footstool.


    You serious ?
    Im sat here now with my feet firmly on the floor, in my office.
    Use a footstool as it elevates your feet and, I'm not sure what the science is, but it seems to relieve blood pressure in the legs a bit, and this seems to make my legs feel better than sitting with my feet on the floor.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    In that case im going to start using a stool to prop my feet up :)
    I feel too technical as my abilities are sooooo poor but god loves a triar :)
    Living MY dream.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    VTech wrote:
    In that case im going to start using a stool to prop my feet up :)
    I feel too technical as my abilities are sooooo poor but god loves a triar :)

    What's a triar? Is it a triathlete who's prone to fibbing? Bit like Lance??
  • ShutUpLegsShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Does anyone know of a better supplier of Testosterone patches, the company I use at the moment have raised prices considerably
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    You need ritalin my friend.
    Living MY dream.
  • springtide9springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I bought Echinacea & Ginsing from Healthplan about a year ago.

    Although the tablets make no difference, the very regular supply of junk mail that you get through the post from Healthplan is fantastic for burning on the fire, and the warmth seems to really help with recovery.

    I can't recommend the junk mail from Healthplan enough, and best of all, it's free.
    Simon
  • ShutUpLegsShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    VTech wrote:
    You need ritalin my friend.

    Are you the guy who cannot resist sweet food, crisps, sweats etc or some other wank3r :?:
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Yes, I'm the same w4nker. Looks like I have found my first Internet troll, I feel so important.
    I bet your the kind of guy who would shiat himself if face to face with someone.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    A healthy balanced diet and easing into your cycling gradually is all you really need.

    As long as you fuel well before riding you should be able to go for a 2 hr ride comfortably (once you have built up your riding time).

    Obviously fried foods, takeaway, biscuits, sweets and crisps are bad.

    Fruit, veg, pasta, rice, chicken (not KFC) and fish (tuna, mackerel ect. not Fish and Chips) are all good. :-)

    Also important to hydrate well. Plain water is fine but you can add juice (sugar free obviously) if you like.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    smidsy wrote:
    A healthy balanced diet and easing into your cycling gradually is all you really need.

    As long as you fuel well before riding you should be able to go for a 2 hr ride comfortably (once you have built up your riding time).

    Obviously fried foods, takeaway, biscuits, sweets and crisps are bad.

    Fruit, veg, pasta, rice, chicken (not KFC) and fish (tuna, mackerel ect. not Fish and Chips) are all good. :-)

    Also important to hydrate well. Plain water is fine but you can add juice (sugar free obviously) if you like.

    Diet (sadly) is another issue I've always had. I dont drink much, maybe once a month and never smoke but I have always love sweets, crisps etc. I will try though and get some weight shifted as well as stamina built.
    Living MY dream.
  • I bought Echinacea & Ginsing from Healthplan about a year ago.

    Although the tablets make no difference, the very regular supply of junk mail that you get through the post from Healthplan is fantastic for burning on the fire, and the warmth seems to really help with recovery.

    I can't recommend the junk mail from Healthplan enough, and best of all, it's free.

    Nice. I've found a similar source of free paper - donate to a charity. Once they have your address and have shown a willingness to give (I only did because I lost a bet BTW) then they'll spend your original donation and much more sending you censored .
  • HerbsmanHerbsman Posts: 2,029
    VTech wrote:
    In that case im going to start using a stool to prop my feet up :)
    I feel too technical as my abilities are sooooo poor but god loves a triar :)

    Here look
    Elevate

    The old pro maxim of “never stand when you can sit and never sit when you can lie down”, isn’t especially practical or applicable for those of us who have to fit our cycling around work and family. However spending some time elevating your legs after a long or hard ride can make a significant difference to recovery by promoting lower body blood flow. With a pillow behind your head, place your legs up against a wall and aim to stay there for 5 minutes for every hour ridden. Keep your knees straight but not locked and you’ll get a gentle stretch for your hamstrings too.

    From British Cycling website http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/insigh ... C47X8F%2C1

    you have to be logged in to read the full article.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Cheers, ill have a read later.
    Living MY dream.
  • You can’t buy weight loss and Pro cyclist’s legs that will make you go fast and up hills effortlessly.

    Ride your bike a lot. Eat less cr4p. Ride your bike some more – and up hills as much as possible.

    The weight will drop and you will get better at riding a bike.

    Simple as that.
Sign In or Register to comment.