Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0

displacedaussie
displacedaussie Posts: 356
edited January 2014 in Your road bikes
Does anybody not have one yet? :lol:

I started cycling three years ago when my company bought me a bike on the cycle to work scheme. I weighed 90kg back then (I'm now 72) and plodded to work very slowly during the summer of 2010. I took the winter off, then decided enough was enough and that it was time to get in shape. I started eating better and cycling more, and after a good 2011 I joined a club and took up racing.

I had a bit of unexpected success last year and my cycle to work bike did me pretty well.

allezallez.jpg

However it's aluminium, the 9-speed 105 isn't great, I wanted something nice to ride and I was sick of getting crap from people at my club! After a promotion at work just before Christmas I finally decided I could justify getting myself a new bike.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

It's a 52 (the Allez is a 54). I've only taken it out once so far so I still need to tweak the position, but it felt great.

First race is in a little under 5 weeks and I can't wait to hammer it in anger! :D

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Very Very Nice, Enjoy.

Why did you get crap off people in your club for the Spesh? they sound like tossers.

Well done with the weight loss and getting into racing. Thats a nice bike and it sound like you ve worked hard on all fronts to earn it.
  • Thanks Tim. It was all light hearted stuff about the Allez. I think I've done about 12,000 miles on it and it did cross the line first a few times so I didn't really mind too much. It's now my winter bike and I hope to happily ride it for another few years! :)
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    tim wand wrote:
    Why did you get crap off people in your club for the Spesh? they sound like tossers.

I think they call it "poking fun" or "banter"

I spend to much time on forums so I'm not quite sure what it is though.

Nice bike.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Welcome to the Canyon club :-)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    styxd wrote:
    tim wand wrote:

I think they call it "poking fun" or "banter"

I spend to much time on forums so I'm not quite sure what it is though.

Nice bike.

Usually its the other way round.. the banter starts when you rock up with an expensive new bike!
  • That looks nice. You'll have fun keeping the mat black clean.

Did you not think about getting the stem cap or are you going after market?
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • I bought the cap, but I think it possibly looks better without it. I'm tempted to put it on though but I can't decide. What do you think?

acros02.jpg
  • I have just bought a cap to stop, water dripping of my face and down the fork onto my skewers. Could lead to rust or maybe not, anyway I thought it better to save than change a skewer. :D
  • Thats nice! Can I ask why you went for a 52 over a 54? Ive been looking at either this or the slx version, and it seems a 56 is a more comparible size to a 54 allez?
  • Is the full cap a shiney plastic affair or is it just the photo?

It just seems a bit alien not having a cap on it.

You can get some quite nice titanium custom etched alloy caps.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Do love a new bike. That's looks super nice enjoy.
  • After months of over-excessive research and at least 10 bikes being "shortlisted" I've just placed an order for an Ultimate CF 9.0

I think the pics above were the deciding factor in my thought process. When I saw them it confirmed that I wanted that bike. Great looking and with exactly the spec I'm after.

Just need to sit tight and wait for the postman now..... :wink:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    like it... :)
  • slowandsteady: The cap is plastic but it's not too shiny - that's probably just the camera. I think I'll stick it on when I've confirmed how many spacers I need. Mainly just to stop people trying to throw jelly beans into my forks. :lol:

bobbydazzla: I think it looks even better in person than it does in pictures. :mrgreen:

As far as sizing goes, the 52 matches up almost exactly to the 54cm 2004 Allez. I use a 110mm stem on the Allez but went for a 100 on the Canyon. The reach on the 50/52/54 Ultimate CF frames is basically the same and on the 56 it's only 4mm more, so you could possibly get a fit that "works" on any of those frames depending on your own needs. Based on my own bike fit, the 52 puts the saddle in a good position (setback, seatpost height) and the bars should be in the right spot with just the one 5mm spacer below the stem.

I'm 174cm and if I'd gone for the 54 there would have been ~ 20mm less of seatpost showing (and it's already pretty low - I have very short legs!), the saddle would have been slightly further forward in relation to the seat tube (angles are different), and I would have been 5mm too high at the front (11mm extra "stack") unless I found a different angle stem.

The key things to measure if you already have a bike you're comfortable on are your saddle setback (from the BB), your saddle height (from the BB), distance from saddle to bars (ie. reach) and saddle to bar drop. If you have them, you can look at the Canyon geometry, do a few trig calculations and work out what frame would fit you the best.
  • I'm 185cm and have an inseam of 85 cm, my current bike is an Allez 58.

The Canyon system recommended a 56, but after emailing my dimensions and Allez geometry to Canyon they rang and said that I should go for a 58.

A 1 cm inseam increase made the online system move up from 56 to 58. So I was right at the limit of the 56 frame size and they felt the 58 was a better option.
  • If you go by the Stack and Reach figures:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/alleze5osbbframeset#geometry
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3085#tab-reiter2

58cm Allez = 402 x 606
    56 Canyon = 391 x 568
    58 Canyon = 394 x 578

So the 58 is definitely closer to what you have now. I think that's the one I'd have gone for too if I was your height. :)

The 60 might have fit too, although the seat tube is 50mm longer than on the 58cm Allez.
  • Yeah, I compared the stack and reach figures after the system suggested a 56.

I was concerned the size difference between the 58 Allez and the 56 Canyon would be too much, so that's why I emailed Canyon to ask their advice.

They've been really good so far and gave me a call almost immediately after I emailed them. Also helped that the guy who rang had similar dimensions to me and he rode a 58.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    I'm 185cm and have an inseam of 85 cm, my current bike is an Allez 58.

The Canyon system recommended a 56, but after emailing my dimensions and Allez geometry to Canyon they rang and said that I should go for a 58.

A 1 cm inseam increase made the online system move up from 56 to 58. So I was right at the limit of the 56 frame size and they felt the 58 was a better option.

I am 184cm, with relatively short legs, and have a 58. This puts the contact points bang on for me BUT looks a bit odd as the seatpost is short. Could have got away with a 56 and a longer stem and it would arguably have looked less 'old school' but ultimatelly the contact points are right with a stem length that suits the geometry
    P1260628.jpg
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • I know you mentioned you have short legs relative to your height but am interested to know what your inseam measurement is ?
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    I know you mentioned you have short legs relative to your height but am interested to know what your inseam measurement is ?

Yeah me too.

I have an ultimate cf slx on order and after inputting my measurements into their pps system it recommended a small. H 177cm - inseam 82cm. I was a little concerned about it as an inseam of 83 pushed it up to a size medium. Anyway, after contacting Canyon about my measurements they then suggested that I go for a medium (56) which I have done. Seems strange and makes their pps system a bit of a joke in my book. Just hope I've done the right thing even though there is only 1cm between small and medium. :?
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • I know you mentioned you have short legs relative to your height but am interested to know what your inseam measurement is ?

Although I think you were talking to the other guy who is about your height, for completeness:

Me: 174cm
    Inseam: 79cm

Saddle height (from BB to middle of saddle [which is about 15cm back on the Romin]): 708mm
    Saddle setback: 55mm
    Saddle-to-bar drop: 55mm
    Saddle-tip-to-hoods: 590mm

I have stupid hamstrings that hardly stretch at all, but a very bendy back.
  • Coach H
    I know you mentioned you have short legs relative to your height but am interested to know what your inseam measurement is ?

Although I think you were talking to the other guy who is about your height, for completeness:

Me: 174cm
    Inseam: 79cm

Saddle height (from BB to middle of saddle [which is about 15cm back on the Romin]): 708mm
    Saddle setback: 55mm
    Saddle-to-bar drop: 55mm
    Saddle-tip-to-hoods: 590mm

I have stupid hamstrings that hardly stretch at all, but a very bendy back.

I think it was me that was originally asked, see below

Me: 184cm
    Inseam: Don't know, but you are better off with the next dimension
    Saddle height (from BB to middle of saddle [which is about 15cm back on the Romin]): 725mm
    Saddle setback: 60mm
    Saddle-to-bar drop: 30mm
    Saddle-tip-to-Centre of bars: 540mm

If I had gone for the 56 I would have had 20mm more seat post showing but an extra 10mm drop (managable) but more importantly I would have had to have gone for a 120mm stem where the design stem length is 100mm. Whilst it is very 'pro' to have a longer stem than the geo would call for I beleve it is better to use the reccomended length for the frame to ensure the handling characteristics are as designed.

That said I spend HOURS pondering the sizing and regularly look at the bike trying to emagine what difference a smaller size would have actually made :roll: .
  • Gents,

I had to make the same decision. I am 183 with a 79 inside leg. Recommended a 56 frame although I wish I had a 54 frame now. The frame would be stiffer and lighter and a bit more seat post and stem would have made for a good looking and after setup. It is all relevant, the pros have loads of seat post and stem with twitchy steering for direct steering down mountains. However my bigger frame has made it smoother. I comes down to which came first the chicken or the egg.
  • Coach H
    Gents,

I had to make the same decision. I am 183 with a 79 inside leg. Recommended a 56 frame although I wish I had a 54 frame now. The frame would be stiffer and lighter and a bit more seat post and stem would have made for a good looking and after setup. It is all relevant, the pros have loads of seat post and stem with twitchy steering for direct steering down mountains. However my bigger frame has made it smoother. I comes down to which came first the chicken or the egg.

Not sure I agree with this bit. Pro's use a long stem to get the contact points right for the small frames they chose for stiffness. The long stem GENERALLY has more of a dampening effect on steering than the decrease in wheelbase and tightening of angles has on twichiness thus making the bike more stable (a positive traight whilst riding in a howling 200 strong poloton)

Sorry to the OP if this is taking over from a discussion about his fine looking bike, which is why this thread was started.
  • Coach H - based on a bike fit I had recently my setup on the Allez is:

BB to mid saddle: 787mm
    Setback: 83mm
    Saddle to bar drop: 74mm
    Saddle tip to centre: 570mm

So after comparing with your measurements my saddle post would be roughly 60mm higher versus the pic you posted ?
  • Coach H
    Coach H - based on a bike fit I had recently my setup on the Allez is:

So after comparing with your measurements my saddle post would be roughly 60mm higher versus the pic you posted ?

Thats how it looks.

I cannot quite get my head around your dimensions though as although you are only 10mm taller than me it looks like you have substantially longer legs torso and arms :?

Taking your set op completely on face value though IMHO I would go for a 58. A 56 will give you too much saddle to bar drop.
  • Coach H wrote:
    Coach H - based on a bike fit I had recently my setup on the Allez is:

Thats how it looks.

I cannot quite get my head around your dimensions though as although you are only 10mm taller than me it looks like you have substantially longer legs torso and arms :?

Taking your set op completely on face value though IMHO I would go for a 58. A 56 will give you too much saddle to bar drop.

Pretty sure my dimensions are relatively normal - tall and slim with proportionally long arms and legs.

Am thinking I did the right thing going for a 58. Now just got to go through the impatient torture waiting for the postie to deliver it...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    These bikes have great lines...
  • Quick question for the other Canyon owners.

Just taken delivery of mine and have set it up. Was relatively straightforward to do but the gears are all over the place, running through the cassette is clunky and there's loads of noise from the drivetrain. I couldn't ride it as it is.

In general have you had to fettle with the gears after delivery ? My mechanical skills are limited to the basics e.g. turning the barrel adjuster, so I don't want to start fiddling and do more harm than good....
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Had mine about a week, found the indexing v good. Only thing I noticed was that you need to make sure when moving to the big ring on the front that the lever is pushed all the way over, otherwise there can be chain rub, but other than that perfect.