Respect to Andre Greipel

2»

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Pross wrote:
    and unlike Tyler Mr Transitions, Greipel doesnt spend most of the time on his a%^e on the road

Very rarely crashes for a top sprinter. Is that because he is lucky or because he backs out when it gets a bit rough (or is he a particularly good bike handler)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKWEW-sPa3U&list=PL1F1AAD81BA36C817&index=98

I believe he went on to win this stage in the Tour last year after holding it all together in this crash with Sagan/Farrar
    He did, and came second in another with a reset dislocated shoulder.... Good use of farrar, as a footrest in that clip!
  • Ha! Stomping on Farrar and bringing down Sagan was excellent skillz.

Lets not forget what happened next....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMeMr1pzGcA

"'Easy, Tyler! Whoa!"
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,402
    I fairness to Sagan he does flipping well to stay upright as long as he does there! First the crash (sugar), then Greipel nearly lies on top of him (Sugar), then a bike flies at him (SUGAR!!)....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Which was the race last year when there was a crash in the run in and a bike - inevitably belonging to a Carrot - literally bounced and flipped through the air between the riders?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Still, the Farrar incident resulted in an ace photo:
    le-tour-france-2012-stage-20120705-094712-539.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72 wrote:
    He did, and came second in another with a reset dislocated shoulder.... Good use of farrar, as a footrest in that clip!

Was that Stage 6, to Metz?

peter-sagan-tour-de-france-2012-stage6.jpg
  • yep
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,246
    FFS Greased!

Wha' gwon?, as they say in the part of Lundin what I come from: if ever there was a case of a you-know-what for a you-know-who...!?!
    Still, the Farrar incident resulted in an ace photo:
    le-tour-france-2012-stage-20120705-094712-539.jpg
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I don't think Greipel lacks race craft or that he backs off too easily - possibly compared to Cav but then Cav is exceptional in both aspects - Greipel is certainly no Farrar. I think part of we see as Cav's race craft is actually physical ability to accelerate through gaps when they appear anyway. Greipel takes time to get up to speed so a lead out suits him physically more than mentally - it's not just that Cav sees wheels and gaps better than others he's got the kick to get on them and go through them before the chance has gone.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I don't think Greipel lacks race craft or that he backs off too easily - possibly compared to Cav but then Cav is exceptional in both aspects - Greipel is certainly no Farrar. I think part of we see as Cav's race craft is actually physical ability to accelerate through gaps when they appear anyway. Greipel takes time to get up to speed so a lead out suits him physically more than mentally - it's not just that Cav sees wheels and gaps better than others he's got the kick to get on them and go through them before the chance has gone.
    This.

It's horses for courses.
    Greipel is all about power. Cav is all about the kick (or acceleration).

I think Sagan has a bit of both, but not enough of either to beat Greipel or Cav straight up. Sagan may of course find himself in more finishing situations as a result of his better 'all round' strengths.