Respect to Andre Greipel

VanessaViralVerse
VanessaViralVerse Posts: 36
edited January 2013 in Pro race
For a few years now the Tour Down Under has become Greipel's play pen - and I'm lovin it!
Last night I stayed up late and did a little video tribute to him called "Big Respect to the Gorilla" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIUDtzbn8FE
I hope you'll have a look!

Cheers
Vanessa

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_m7ae9ttXm01qamgt9o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_m75qbfX2Dn1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    What continues to surprise me about Greipel is how his muscle seems to have lessened over the years. Still a monster but it seems less to me. Maybe due to trying to make himself a potential winner in a greater variety of races.

tdu10st02-win.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Respect his talent, just cant take to him
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    What continues to surprise me about Greipel is how his muscle seems to have lessened over the years. Still a monster but it seems less to me. Maybe due to trying to make himself a potential winner in a greater variety of races.

tdu10st02-win.jpg

Yeah, he's carrying way too much upper body muscle mass for a roadie in that photo. I think that was the year he got dropped going up that relatively minor hill (could be wrong, my memory for sporting trivia is terrible!). I gained a lot more respect for him last year as he was finally able to get over some lumpier terrain and compete in far more finishes. Thighs are still massive though!
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    He's always going to be in Cav's shadow.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    twotyred wrote:

Perhaps, but not as completely as Cav would like.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    tumblr_m7ae9ttXm01qamgt9o1_500.jpg

Why's he wearing GB kit?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • twotyred wrote:

True. Cav can no longer just dismiss Greipel with the SSR monicker
  • twotyred wrote:

Last year I would say Cav didn't have to worry about Greipel, but this year things are different. The Gorilla has slimmed down, his train is amazing - Henderson is a brilliant lead-out man and Cav is with a new team with an untested train. If ever there was a year for Greipel to beat Cav, this is it. Should make for great viewing. Let the games begin!!!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    twotyred wrote:

Last year I would say Cav didn't have to worry about Greipel, but this year things are different. The Gorilla has slimmed down, his train is amazing - Henderson is a brilliant lead-out man and Cav is with a new team with an untested train. If ever there was a year for Greipel to beat Cav, this is it. Should make for great viewing. Let the games begin!!!

I agree in general with these comments. Greipel does look sharp and may well be closing the gap on Cav. However, I still don't think he has Cav's ability to adapt where sprint trains are shot to pieces. Cav got his first win of the season by switching trains to Lampre when Chav(?) was toasted. I've never really seen Greipel do that and so although I think he is physically awesome I'm not convinced he has all of the necessary sprint craft.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    agree to a point, when led out correctly he has the best top end of all of the sprinters, however, tactically he can occasionally be a bit naieve. its strange to compare him with Cav. seems as Cav only puts out 1500w and Greipel nearly 2 kw over the same distance, that the Gorilla is a little inefficient? mind you no one gets right over the front of the bike like Cav. either way i think come the flat stages of the tour these 2 will be far ahead of the others.
  • TMR
    philbar72 wrote:
    agree to a point, when led out correctly he has the best top end of all of the sprinters, however, tactically he can occasionally be a bit naieve. its strange to compare him with Cav. seems as Cav only puts out 1500w and Greipel nearly 2 kw over the same distance, that the Gorilla is a little inefficient? mind you no one gets right over the front of the bike like Cav. either way i think come the flat stages of the tour these 2 will be far ahead of the others.

Greipel is massive compared to Cav, it's just wind resistance. Yes, Greipel kicks out more watts, but it doesn't benefit him. Even if he lost more weight he's still going to be taller, so he'll never be able to get aero enough. IMHO of course.
  • Wot Mad Rapper says.

Also back to Greipel and train - Henderson's made all the difference. Greipel doesnt like the rough and tumble and is easy to rough up onto the barriers...apparently.

Cav...well, if one good thing came out of the Tour re Cav, its that no one can still try and say that he cant do the biz without a train.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Can't ever imagine Greipel doing what Cav did on last year's Tour stage when he mugged Roche and LL Sanchez...
  • TMR
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Can't ever imagine Greipel doing what Cav did on last year's Tour stage when he mugged Roche and LL Sanchez...

One of my favourite of his victories. The overhead shot shows just how fast he was going, insane! ;)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Sorry but no respect at all for Greipel as he came in demanding respect without doing anything at all to earn it. A lot of talk, not a lot of action. It took Cav's dominance in the HTC team to teach him to shut up and let his legs do the talking.

I'm in agreement with the "lack of racecraft" comments above. He's good in a one off with a lead out and if Cav's not quite on song. In any other circumstances he's just a big, Teutonic Tyler Farrar!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    he's just a big, Teutonic Tyler Farrar!

Woah, dude, that's incredibly harsh! He does at least win races!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    ddraver wrote:
    he's just a big, Teutonic Tyler Farrar!

Woah, dude, that's incredibly harsh! He does at least win races!

^ 100% this. Farrar sucks.
  • frenchfighter
    Greipel is a heavyweight sprinter. You would be obtuse to say otherwise.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • and unlike Tyler Mr Transitions, Greipel doesnt spend most of the time on his a%^e on the road
  • frenchfighter
    phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg-600x400.jpg
    9520_131727383484_683993484_2457962.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Greipel got over mt St Clair in Sete and won the stage last year. Cav came in some time off the peloton - so depends
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    and unlike Tyler Mr Transitions, Greipel doesnt spend most of the time on his a%^e on the road

Very rarely crashes for a top sprinter. Is that because he is lucky or because he backs out when it gets a bit rough (or is he a particularly good bike handler)?
  • Greipel got over mt St Clair in Sete and won the stage last year. Cav came in some time off the peloton - so depends

To be fair he had at least 3 Lotto guys with him to pull him over that climb, whereas Sky left Cav to be Billy-no-mates

To be fair he had at least 3 Lotto guys with him to pull him over that climb, whereas Sky left Cav to be Billy-no-mates

Pulling isn't really effective going uphill, as the resistance is mainly gravity rather than air. As a sprinter, your team mates are more useful controlling the pace of the bunch or keeping you within yourself with their pace.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

I was on the climb - it went over as a long long group but Cav was off the back whereas Griepel was tucked in at the end of the main group. His boys started working in echelons once it was obvious Cav wasn't there - after the descent. I don't think they had to pull him back to the peloton iirc Cav had Eisel but there was no chance with cross winds
  • Pross wrote:
    and unlike Tyler Mr Transitions, Greipel doesnt spend most of the time on his a%^e on the road

Very rarely crashes for a top sprinter. Is that because he is lucky or because he backs out when it gets a bit rough (or is he a particularly good bike handler)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKWEW-sPa3U&list=PL1F1AAD81BA36C817&index=98

I believe he went on to win this stage in the Tour last year after holding it all together in this crash with Sagan/Farrar
  • He does look to be flying, but then it always seems the case at TDU, time will tell how close he is to cav. As for him not crashing that much, I wonder how much of it is just down to him being that much bigger other riders are less likely to try muscle him out the way
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I remember hearing that on that tour stage Cavendish had a problem before the climb and had spent a while chasing back on, only getting there just before the climb.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago