HS2

2»

Comments

• rjsterry wrote:
    Focus on speed definitely misses the point. Another line improves capacity. People spending less time on trains for the same journey reduces train congestion.

That's the main advantage.

I thought I was for HS2 (although disagree on the London 2 Birmingham route) however is a capacity increase really needed? And this will be in 20 years time!

Where will technology be in 20 years time? (think back to where technology was 20 years ago :shock: )

Will there be the requirement to travel as much?

We're still using locomotives designed in the 1970s, so I reckon in 20 years time, trains won't be fundamentally different

300px-19880827-KingsCross-HST-43079.jpg

According to Wikipedia, they stopped building these in 1982; still see 'em pulling out of Paddington.

I agree trains will not be fundamentally different, but what about computing technology?

Think where the mobile phone or Internet was 20 years ago. With that rate of past development, we have no idea where it will be in 20 years. Will we need to travel as much for work as we do now?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bloody hell, the new route pactically goes through my back garden! Should be handy.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Teleconferencing is happening but demand for rail is increasing.

Rail is a really good way to move lots of people quickly along fixed routes. Planes are inefficient on many measures- time-savings on short-haul flights are often illussiory, even without the hassle factor. With no immediate prospect of increasing traffic speeds (High speed toll-roads allowing 120mph car travel would certainly change the game, though risks would need to be managed carefully) High-Speed rail offers a proven, if pricey, solution to a problem that we arguably should be tackling.

It doesn't seem as though video-conferencing is replacing the need to travel, just changing the demand a little.

Design life for trains is about forty years, I'm told, so even without a lack of investment there would still be a lot of '80s rolling stock around.

Britain isn't Australia, or the USA. Trains are capable of sensible journey times using proven, mature technology. They are safe, reliable and, crucially, perfectly capable of carrying bicycles!

Cheers,
    W.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rail is a really good way to move lots of people quickly along fixed routes. Planes are inefficient on many measures- time-savings on short-haul flights are often illussiory, even without the hassle factor.

High-speed trains might be. The regular ones are pretty crap. I can drive to Glasgow or Edinburgh faster than the train will get me there & 90% of my journey isn't even motorway (2/3 is single carriageway).

And getting to London by train takes an absurd amount of time - 12 hours! I can drive in 9 or fly in 1hr30 (throw in a couple of hours for checking in and transport at the other end - you still get less than 1/3rd the time).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    supersonic wrote:
    Bloody hell, the new route pactically goes through my back garden! Should be handy.
    Only if theres a station close by, or you have a maker hook.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I regularly ride through some of the bits of Bucks that the HS2 is passing through. Regardless of anything else, it's a crying shame that these beautiful areas are going to be desecrated.

I was listening to R5L last night, and they had a transport professor on who basically said that the case doesn't stack up. I mean, who actually benefits, and how (apart from the expenditure on the building of HS2)?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What miffs me is that the route will close down my cycle commute to work until the bridge is built....it will pass about 1mile from my house.

The bigger issue is that for everyone affected up to Birmingham there is no benefit as it won't be worth going the wrong way to Birmingham to start a then faster journey.

What is desperately needed is some relief of the Birmingham to Coventry and onwards corridor which is rammed to capacity, HS2 does help that.

Looking longer term, HS2 will be fast enough to get people out of planes which is good for the environment.

Personally though I think the route to Birmingham should have centred on the current M40/Chiltern line corridor, much in the way the HS1 uses the M20 Corridor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Similar here too - the route takes out a 3 mile stretch of the TPT. Which would have been the way I walked/ride to the station lol.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Dellsinho
    Dellsinho Posts: 100
    The preferred route into Manchester tunnels 40m east of my house. Sadly I don't think I'll still be living there when/if construction begins.

I'm dead excited by HS2, I might try and get on the project at some point in the future.

Definitely not a white elephant, it'll promote economic growth, aid the capacity of the rail network and bring us pretty much up to date with the rest of advanced Europe/world (so long as they don't move onto something else by the time we've built...).

There's no point in patching what we already have. Back in the 50/60's the decision was made to construct brand new motorways instead of patching up the stock we already had for it to then require further investment 10 years later. That investment provided no end of economic benefits to the country - can you imagine what it'd be like now, without? Rail needs to take that jump too.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    i agree. And while i do feel sorry for those who will have their homes affected by the line, you can't stand in the way of progress forever.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!