Equal rights for decent kit?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2013 in Road general
There seems to be a bit of a theme on this site (and therefor amongst riders I guess) linking having decent kit with being a fast/good rider.

Should we have to have I.D. cards (like Corgi registered gas installers) gained through fast sportive times, without which people can only buy budget bikes and clothing?

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Is this about golf?
  • Anonymous
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Is this about golf?

I have always avoided golf and fishing as felt they would take up far too much time and money!
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    Carbonator wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Is this about golf?

I have always avoided golf and fishing as felt they would take up far too much time and money!

Whats wrong with golf.... I love it. Fishing on the other hand, well can't think of anything more boring. And before I'm slated this is only my op..... :roll:

But to answer your point, no I don't think so.... I'm no elite rider but like to have a nice bike and good quality kit. But isn't this the same through life. Your either someone that likes nice stuff and is happy when you have it or you simply don't mind what you have and sometimes a cheaper item will do the job. Totally agree but often than not the cheap stuff usually drops to bits, or doesn't fit right, or washes rubbish..... So although it does the job it doesn't do it as well as it could but then you get what you pay for.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Carbonator wrote:
    Should we have to have I.D. cards (like Corgi registered gas installers) gained through fast sportive times, without which people can only buy budget bikes and clothing?

Sportive times? A glorified club run?

Sorry, but unless you're racing at Cat 1 or above then you should have your Zipps confiscated and your Cervelo crushed.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Carbonator wrote:

Sportive times? A glorified club run?

Sorry, but unless you're racing at Cat 1 or above then you should have your Zipps confiscated and your Cervelo crushed.

You have just crushed the 'dreams' of some triathletes as well!
  • Maybe there needs to be something to measure power output in the shop. Not enough watts, no kit.
  • meesterbond
    JGSI wrote:
    You have just crushed the 'dreams' of some triathletes as well!

You say that like it's a bad thing...
  • Isn't being overtaken by people wearing Altura jerseys, on cheap and/or scrappy old bikes punishment enough? ;)
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Photography is my other main pass time - there are similar arguments on Photography fora :)

A good taste test, or, can you shoot in manual? Before allowing people to buy the best gear.

What is generally concluded though, is that the 'all the gear, no idea' shooters pay for the R&D that provides the rest of us with nice kit :D
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Maybe there needs to be something to measure power output in the shop. Not enough watts, no kit.

This :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Maybe there needs to be something to measure power output in the shop. Not enough watts, no kit.

Naaah, all bike shops should just be at the top of a long 20% plus hill with no pedestrian or motor access. If you can get into the shop, you've qualified.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    How do you not have pedestrian access whist retaining cycle access?
  • rolf_f
    Me-109 wrote:

Snipers. I've thought this all through.
  • Some people need to get a life.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:

And how does this stop internet purchases?
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:

And how does this stop internet purchases?

You have to submit a Strava log. See, all covered!

Actually, the snipers aren't necessary. No pedestrian would ever walk on a marked cycle path.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    You have to submit a Strava log. See, all covered!

Actually, the snipers aren't necessary. No pedestrian would ever walk on a marked cycle path.

Yeah, because Strava can't be faked. I don't think you have thought about this at all.
  • This is just stupid! If a company can sell you something then they will. They are there to make a profit and if that means selling a fast bike to a fat bastad then who are they to care? They are selling bikes and clothing to people who ride bikes, not guns and glue to kids. No offense but I cant see your idea catching on mate.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I don't think he was serious.
  • Anonymous
    Strith wrote:
    I don't think he was serious.

I wasn't :wink:
    It was nothing to do with shops selling stuff to anyone either.
  • In many walks of life there are brand snobs.
    I play golf. I have some nice clubs and play often (not particularly well) and thoroughly enjoy the game.
    There are guys who turn up at the club with matching everything, retina searing coloured clothing, trolley etc, etc. They then go out and hack their way round the golf course.
    These guys don't bother me in the slightest. As long as they are enjoying their game and don't hold me up I don't care.
    However, like many golf clubs there are people who look down their noses and refer to them as "All the gear, no idea." These same golf snobs sneer at the high handicap golfers. People just setting out in the game with basic kit and non named subdued clothing perfectly adequate for golfing.

From what I have seen, the same type of people are also involved in cycling, tennis, whatever the sport there will be elitist snobs who feel they are better than Mr Average who just enjoys getting on with their chosen activity, regardless of how expensive or cheap their gear is.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Carbonator wrote:
    There seems to be a bit of a theme on this site (and therefor amongst riders I guess) linking having decent kit with being a fast/good rider.
    There are people on this site who regularly boast about how much they have spent on kit and appear to measure their self worth on that basis.

Fortunately, I think they are very much in the minority.
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    I'm not allowed Rapha gear until I get up Swain's Lane.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I object on the grounds that if I can not ride like a pro I at least want to look like a pro.

Besides at the speed I go I should get paid more than a pro because people have much...much longer to read the advertising.

See, the world's all wrong. :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • if that means selling a fast bike to a fat bastad then who are they to care?

Agreed, and more importantly who are we to care... at least said fat B is getting some exercise, even if he does need the inspiration gained from having decent kit 8)

(And yes, I'm sure the OP wasn't being serious... or were they...?)
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • I have come back to road cycling after a long lay off mountain biking and golfing!!!!!

And some of the posters are right....the snobbery in golf is wicked!!! Laughable really...I have always loved gadgets/tinkering, but luckily my golf game always seemed to get better too, but some people really do equate expensive gear, membership of certain clubs as instant expert status...and sadly I have seen this upon my return to road biking...people "eying" my kit...bike/clothing/shoes..whatever...like I'm some sort of magazine model!
    I always like my stuff to look good, and strive to have what's best in terms of sensible affordability vs madness, but really...can anyone REALLLLLLLLY justify over £150 for a pair of Rapha bibs because they are soooo much better?
    I could be convinced...but only by parting with said money, and it's not going to happen...the chancellor (read wife) ensures the bike budget remains within the governments austerity plan!!!!
  • Jeez, people need to lighten up a bit.

Who actually really cares what other riders wear or how expensive/inexpensive it is. The main thing is, they are out on their bike, enjoying themselves. How can anyone ever criticise anyone for doing so.

There will always be people in all sports who like buying nice kit, so what?! Waht does it matter if they are not as quick as you, life is not a competition & there are no tags on clothes which say

"Only available to people we think deserve this garment".

Honestly, the levels of snobbery around here are off the scale.
  • Please god noooooo! Not another bike snob topic!!!!
  • meesterbond
    Please god noooooo! Not another bike snob topic!!!!

It's all ok... this one's ironic!

Don't you think
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Come on.. its fun to see the snobs get all sniffy.

Personally I like the idea of the shop at the top of a hill with no pedestrian or car access - I would replace the snipers with trained tigers though. So much more elegant.

p.s. I was scalped yesterday by everyone but the highlight was a bloke in shiny blue lycra leggings and a donkey jacket who had cut up a mineral water bottle and sellotaped it to his bike as a mudguard. I wasn't even Evian or something posh... ASDA own! The shame.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.