Low cadences less efficient

Comments

• sturmey wrote:
    after that. i learnt to train properly :)

The truthful answer he should have given is that he gave up competitive cycling 'cos he was cr*p and turned to coaching instead.

apart from it being completely irrelevant, after racing in Mcr area i went to live down south, and raced there. i've raced every year from 1984 until 2 years ago. (and have moved again).
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    sturmey wrote:
    after that. i learnt to train properly :)

The truthful answer he should have given is that he gave up competitive cycling 'cos he was cr*p and turned to coaching instead.

apart from it being completely irrelevant, after racing in Mcr area i went to live down south, and raced there. i've raced every year from 1984 until 2 years ago. (and have moved again).

Hardly irrelevant is it?- the fact that you massively exaggerate your abilities as an athlete past and present on these forums and elsewhere and have done so several times. You were never a Cat 1 rider or anywhere near that level. You may indeed have been able to fool a large mass of the cycling public in an attempt to boost your credibility as a coach but don't think you can fool us all. Some of us are not as stupid as you like to think.
  • ?

no idea who you are. to clarify, was a 2nd and at that time (when i was a 2nd cat) in the final race of the season i needed 1 point to move up to 1st cat. was in a break (which had 5 or 6 riders in - cant quite recall) and could have finished anywhere in the break (for the 1 point) to become a 1st cat. with about 200 m to go, was 'sprinting' for the finish and whoever's wheel i was on crashed and to avoid decking it i went on the wrong side of the road. i was then DQed from the race (unfairly i felt) for crossing the white line. So, technically, you're correct i never actually made it to 1st cat, but would have if i hadn't been Dqed in that race.

I'm sorry that you feel i was "crap" as an athlete, which i would better describe as average. I certainly wasn't a good athlete and have never described myself as 'good'. You're correct that at times i wasn't good at racing in Mcr, but as i said i've raced/lived elsewhere.

Not that i need to explain, but for clarity, i lived in Mcr until '94 (i think) and started racing in '84. Those initial years (specifically up to '91) were characterised by me being not very good at cycling - but this was due to a severe illness that i had and taking an awfully long time to recover from (FYI, Still's Disease - i'd been in hospital for 13 mths in 1981, and had been told i would never walk again, and had to have several operation up to 90 or 91). Recovery (actually, i believe one goes into remission) was an extraordinarily long process. By the time i was at university (95 onwards) i had recovered sufficiently such that my VO2max was between 65 - 69 mL/kg/min (depending on fitness), which is one 'requirement' of being a 2nd or 1st cat rider (e.g., data exists to show that pro tour riders need a minimum VO2max of ~75 mL/kg/min).

I'd never said i've been a good athlete (although i'd like to see you try racing from '84 onwards with a similar set of illnesses) and i'm not entirely sure how useful points measuring is, as a way to determine athletic ability (e.g. you could ride lots of races and score minimal points in every race and through sheer volume move up that way).

I've raced every year since '84 until 2 years ago. I may even race this year (if i get time to train properly). I've a PB of 22:48 (or 46 can't quite recall) on a bog standard road bike (no aero anything) on a single carriageway course (one of the Chelford courses) which matches up with my measured VO2max.

I don't believe that i use my 'credibility as an athlete' to boost my "credibility as a coach". I would say that my experience as a coach and my qualifications do that just fine. Some of the riders i coach are in a completely different level to me (e.g. world champion, paralympic champions), i presume they chose me for my coaching/sports science ability rather than my "athletic ability".

anyway, mr/ms anonymous who are you?
  • A top level athlete very rarely makes a good coach and there are many very good coaches who have never been top level athletes
  • ManxShred wrote:
    A top level athlete very rarely makes a good coach and there are many very good coaches who have never been top level athletes
    That's true, my brothers in law are superb surfers, but they can't teach me for s^%t.!
  • specifically, i would describe myself as average at cycling (as seen above). Interestingly, i have seen people suggest that high level athletes don't make good coaches, and that some people with little (sporting) experience make good coaches (and vice versa for both).

not that any of this has anything to do with low cadences being less efficient!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ManxShred wrote:
    A top level athlete very rarely makes a good coach and there are many very good coaches who have never been top level athletes

+1 - not sure what all the fuss is about.
  • sturmey
    ?

no idea who you are. to clarify, was a 2nd and at that time (when i was a 2nd cat) in the final race of the season i needed 1 point to move up to 1st cat. was in a break (which had 5 or 6 riders in - cant quite recall) and could have finished anywhere in the break (for the 1 point) to become a 1st cat. with about 200 m to go, was 'sprinting' for the finish and whoever's wheel i was on crashed and to avoid decking it i went on the wrong side of the road. i was then DQed from the race (unfairly i felt) for crossing the white line. So, technically, you're correct i never actually made it to 1st cat, but would have if i hadn't been Dqed in that race.

:lol:

So how does the above admission that you never made it into Cat 1 fit in with the following rather nonchalantly made claim you made recently on another forum :

<<< i've survived lots of 1st cat races and finished in the first 15 (and believe me it's nothing to do with sprinting at the end, because at a peak power of 842 W for 5-secs most dead people can sprint faster than me!). have finished reasonably well up in elite/1/2 races as well.>>>

link here: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/473954/p ... st_4038555

Didn't take me long to find that one. Do you want me to carry on looking for more?

Don't forget what they say about being a convincing liar- you have to have a good memory!
  • i have survived lots of 1st cat races (obviously lots is a relative term). but yes, i've done e/1/2/3, e/1/2 and 1/2 races. as well as 2/3, 3/4 and junior races. note that as far as i can recall i've never ridden a juvenile road race. i've also ridden some masters/vets races (maybe something like 2/3/V). and yes, i've finished in the first 15. potentially, there's other combinations i've ridden in various categories as well.

or do you not understand how races are run? that they mix categories together? what's your point? and instead of the pointless ad hom anon attacks, why don't you "man" up (whatever gender you may be) and say who you are. Only cowards hide anonymously. (if you dont want to reveal publicly who you are just PM me).
  • sturmey wrote:
    ?

So how does the above admission that you never made it into Cat 1 fit in with the following rather nonchalantly made claim you made recently on another forum :

<<< i've survived lots of 1st cat races and finished in the first 15 (and believe me it's nothing to do with sprinting at the end, because at a peak power of 842 W for 5-secs most dead people can sprint faster than me!). have finished reasonably well up in elite/1/2 races as well.>>>

link here: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/473954/p ... st_4038555

Didn't take me long to find that one. Do you want me to carry on looking for more?

Don't forget what they say about being a convincing liar- you have to have a good memory!

Because you don't have to be a first cat to enter a first cat race. Nor indeed an elite race.

Care to humiliate yourself further?
  • sturmey
    You humiliate YOURSELF by swallowing this guy's utter bullcr*p and ,by the sound of things,his other bodily fluids in your strange sycophantic loyalty.
    Let's just refresh,shall we- HE NEVER WAS a 1st Cat RIDER AS HE NOW ADMITS,BUT HAS CLAIMED TO BE MANY TIMES OVER.THERE IS NO AMBIGUITY HERE INVOLVING MIXED CATEGORY RACING WHATSOEVER.
    He is vainly trying to dig himself out of a hole he made for himself by grossly misrepresenting his true ability in order to gain respect for his profile as a coach.
  • Let's have some actual evidence that he's claimed he's a 1st cat then.
  • sturmey
    Let's have some actual evidence that he's claimed he's a 1st cat then.

Er, in this thread. I'll quote him again from page 1 for the benefit of simpletons like yourself:

<<< you need to be riding steady state to measure efficiency, so, for one, even at my very fittest i would not have been able to ride steady state at 366 W. And that was when i was a 1st and 2nd cat roadie.>>>
  • sturmey wrote:
    Let's have some actual evidence that he's claimed he's a 1st cat then.

Er, in this thread. I'll quote him again from page 1 for the benefit of simpletons like yourself:

<<< you need to be riding steady state to measure efficiency, so, for one, even at my very fittest i would not have been able to ride steady state at 366 W. And that was when i was a 1st and 2nd cat roadie.>>>

My God. If he lies about this, then all the "science" he's so fond of must be false as well. THE EARTH IS FLAT
  • sturmey
    Perhaps more enlightened people reading this and contemplating paying for coaching might view this particular guy's unpalatable LIES a little less sympathetically than you do.He didn't need to lie about his ability,it shouldn't matter as a coach how cr*p you were as a cyclist, as he himself pointed out.
    But lie he did and that was his choice.This lack of honesty and integrity does his reputation as a coach no good whatsoever.
  • imposter2.0
    sturmey wrote:
    Perhaps more enlightened people reading this and contemplating paying for coaching might view this particular guy's unpalatable LIES a little less sympathetically than you do.He didn't need to lie about his ability,it shouldn't matter as a coach how cr*p you were as a cyclist, as he himself pointed out.
    But lie he did and that was his choice.This lack of honesty and integrity does his reputation as a coach no good whatsoever.

Did Ric run over your pet dog when you were younger, or something..?
  • sturmey wrote:

Meh. TBH, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant "doing 1st cat races" rather than deliberately attempting to deceive anyone about his bike racing palmares. But hey, going mental on the internet is a perfectly valid alternative and don't let anyone tell you it isn't.
  • sturmey wrote:

had a bad day have we?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    WTF is going on in this place these days....

It used to be you could come here and discuss cycling. I've said it before (and it keeps getting deleted) but with no active moderation this place is sinking to the lowest common denominator. Sad really :(
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    sturmey wrote:
    This lack of honesty and integrity...
    The irony of making these personal attacks from behind a pseudonym :roll:

I don't think we need stronger moderation. We can recognise a cunt when we see one.
  • sturmey
    sturmey wrote:

had a bad day have we?

Funny how you've got nothing of any value left to say in defence of your mate now he's been outed. Then again, I'm sure you knew the score all along.
    Would also be interested to see proof that he ever got anywhere near a 22.48 on a Cheshire 10 course as he claims. Not that we're ever going to see any such proof.
  • sturmey wrote:
    sturmey wrote:

had a bad day have we?

Funny how you've got nothing of any value left to say in defence of your mate now he's been outed. Then again, I'm sure you knew the score all along.
    Would also be interested to see proof that he ever got anywhere near a 22.48 on a Cheshire 10 course as he claims. Not that we're ever going to see any such proof.
    Nothing left of value to say? I have plenty of value to say, just not to idiots like you.

My "mate" as you call him has been a personal and professional colleague for many years and is a man who has demonstrated the utmost integrity and professionalism, which is heck of a lot more than one can say about your behaviour. He's also a super coach, and I can personally vouch for that.

Now how about crawling back under that rock you were hiding under.
  • sturmey
    I have plenty of value to say, just not to idiots like you.

Who's the idiot?
    That would be YOU my friend for eulogising someone and their supposed integrity when they have been proven to be a liar and a bullsh*tter on open forums - done with the intent to deceive and impress people into throwing money in their direction.
    Couldn't give a cr*p what you think of him personally. That's irrelevant.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    sturmey wrote:
    Guess what sturmey, no-one gives a crap what YOU think of him personally. That's irrelevant.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    All very interesting, but are lower cadences less efficient?
  • sturmey
    Tom Dean wrote:
    sturmey wrote:
    Guess what sturmey, no-one gives a crap what YOU think of him personally. That's irrelevant.

think you might find the guy himself gives a cr*p.

And obviously you do too or you wouldn't be posting your weary comments.
  • ncr
    ncr Posts: 98
    GiantMike wrote:

How about your car, are lower revs more or less efficient ?
  • imposter2.0
    sturmey wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    sturmey wrote:

think you might find the guy himself gives a cr*p.

And obviously you do too or you wouldn't be posting your weary comments.

Apart from feeling slightly uneasy about all this - a bit like the feeling you get when you watch an old drunk ranting in the street - I don't understand where this has all come from. Apparently, you've been on here since 2008 and Ric has been a member for well over a year, so why is this all kicking off now? Or did Ric turn you down for coaching or something?
  • ncr wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Ah, but that will depend on whether it's a Wiggo (diesel) or Contador (petrol).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    ncr wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Ah, but that will depend on whether it's a Wiggo (diesel) or Contador (petrol).

It's a blue Audi.