I need to take EPO

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
I'll tell you now - it's been my first ride back in 5 weeks and my lungs felt like they were punctured, my legs felt like they were noodles dipped in hot water but my hunger was on par with an angry Lion looking to devour a baby elephant.

I never knew how much my fitness and strength would decrease in that amount of time - it's demoralising. However, despair I will not.

So, has anyone got any steroids? Where is Lance Armstrong when you need him....

On a serious note, what is the best way of regaining the strength and fitness? Would you say focus on building up core with long steady rides? Or incorporate intervals and hills? I feel like a hill would destroy me right now, so am shying away from that for the first week!

Thanks

Comments

• Just gradually build yourself back in with a some long rides. After a few weeks of regular rides you should have some of your base fitness back, depending on where you were to start with, then you can look to build in some interval & hill repeats alternating with your long rides.

As for EPO try the cyclist version - Espresso and lots of it.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Gabbo
    Just gradually build yourself back in with a some long rides. After a few weeks of regular rides you should have some of your base fitness back, depending on where you were to start with, then you can look to build in some interval & hill repeats alternating with your long rides.

I was averaging usually 20-21mph over a 40 mile course as a solo rider. Obviously average speed does not include stopping at traffic lights, etc.

I went out this morning and was struggling to maintain 18-19mph for 10 miles even. I was probably averaging around 17.5mph and avoided the hilly areas. What is happening to me?!!! :cry:
  • Gabbo wrote:
    I was averaging usually 20-21mph over a 40 mile course as a solo rider. Obviously average speed does not include stopping at traffic lights, etc.

:lol: I usually average 70kmh when I'm out on my own. Obviously this does not include all those times I'm not sprinting down a massive hill.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Gabbo wrote:
    Just gradually build yourself back in with a some long rides. After a few weeks of regular rides you should have some of your base fitness back, depending on where you were to start with, then you can look to build in some interval & hill repeats alternating with your long rides.

I went out this morning and was struggling to maintain 18-19mph for 10 miles even. I was probably averaging around 17.5mph and avoided the hilly areas. What is happening to me?!!! :cry:

It's okay Bradley, we all have bad days on the bike
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Any Strava traces to inspire me me over 20 for 40?
  • Gabbo
    JGSI wrote:

I don't actually use strava but would like to know all the fuss about it. Someone mind to explain?

As for that other guy who called me Bradley, I don't consider 20mph fast at all. Look at the 3 lap Richmond challenge and you'll see some guys are averaging 25/26 over 3 laps - wow!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Gabbo wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

I don't actually use strava but would like to know all the fuss about it. Someone mind to explain?

It stops people bullshitting about how fast they are on solo rides of 40 miles
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029

Just some of it is fine. Moderation is important when consuming a drug which, gram for gram, is more acutely toxic than alcohol.
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Not if they use a car...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Gabbo
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:
    JGSI wrote:

Diddums, someone clearly thinks I'm bullshitting. Why is it so hard to believe that someone can average 20mph over 40 miles with the occasional 30 second break at a traffic light? If I was going to bullshit I'd have said 24/25mph, not 20mph!

What is so hard to believe about that anyway? I cycle in an area which consist of very few hills. I think the toughest hills are petersham and sawyers hill in Richmond Park. It's only tough (much tougher) when I cycle around Surrey which see's my average drop by nearly 2mph, sometimes more. Right now I can't cycle to Surrey because like I pointed out, I feel like complete crap fitness and strength wise and struggled to maintain even 18mph over a very short and flat distance today. Not sure why I'd bullshit for, especially about something that I don't even consider a good achievement wise...
  • Gabbo
    TarmacExpert......anti......68kg.....45:53......Mar........TTer........AP296W.NP309W full TT setup
    Eyepea0..............anti......79.99kg........48.30......Aug........Retired ex-1st cat.....Road
    Okgo.................anti.......80.5kg....49.17.....May.......2nd cat.....road
    Petromyzon..........anti......73kg..........49.38......May........2nd Cat......AP321W NP327W
    Martinwilly..........anti......72kg............49.52......April......Tester......Road/fixed
    benjacobs............anti.....69kg............49.52.......May......2nd cat........Road
    BigMat................anti......80kg.......50:24......May........Commuter/4th cat
    ChristianCmk........anti.....61kg.........51.49.....May.......2nd Cat....Road
    CJ.....................anti......82kg........52:07......Aug........Commuter/Sportive
    IP.....................anti......74kg........52:44......Aug........Commuter/Sportive
    leejdavies..........anti......80kg..........52:52......May........Sportive/com
    Mr Ribble.............anti.....88kg..........52:55.......May.........Overweight Professional Eater
    Bigdave1963.........anti.....87kg..........53.52.......May........Sportive/TT
    Furrag................anti......71kg.........54:00......Mar........3rd cat.....275w/292w NP
    Morxy...............anti.......58kg........54:06......Jun........4th cat, Commuter/Sportive
    birdy..................anti......70kg........55:02....May..........triathlon/4th cat - Road bike
    lef.....................anti......67kg........55:27....May..........3rd cat...Road
    J4zzDogg..........anti......82kg........55:36.....June........Commuter
    Hutch 75.............anti......92kg........56.20......Mar........Sportive/leisure
    JZed..................c/w.......95kg........56:31......Mar........SCR
    ShandyH............anti......86kg.........56:41......Jun........SCR/fat triathlete
    funkin.................anti......82kg.........56:52......May........Triathlon....292w/NP308w (road bike, tri bars)
    maryka...............anti......54kg.........56:56......June.......post-baby....218w/226wNP
    MMLazaro............anti.......96kg.........57:04......May.......Commuter(ex-rider)/1996 Pinarello
    Rushie.................anti......75kg........57:05......May........Marmotte/Com
    JimboPlob............anti......69kg........57:07......April......4th cat/Triathlon/Fitness
    djtjw.................anti.......83kg.........57:36.....June.......Road Bike, Kingston Wheelies Weekend Warrior
    SirUlrich............anti.......75kg........57:41......June......Road Bike, (slow) TT'er
    bruceman............anti......87kg.........57.50......May.......Commuter
    Ramekin..............anti.......78kg........58:42......May.........Club des Cingles contender
    Dhope.................anti......75kg........58:45......Mar........SCR
    Islwyn.................anti......87kg.........58:51......Apr........Sportive/Com
    London-Red..........anti......80ish........59:05......Mar........Commuter
    turnstyle.............anti......85kg.........59:30......Mar........Com/Sportive
    Ugo Santalucia......anti......73Kg........59:34.......May.....Wheelbuilder/29 years old road bike-red
    Smirf..................Clock.....82kg........59.46.......June.....Commuter/weekend warrior/etape virgin
    Cavcan................anti......103kg.......59:48......June......Fatty
    Blackpooltower.....anti......83kg........60:00......Jan........Commuter
    Andy Bristow .......Clock....89Kg ......63:59.......May.....Ex 3rd cat. Wannabe CX racer
    mdheaton............anti......87kg........65:10......Apr........Rower
    Caleb..................anti......66kg........65.48......Mar........Tri
    Rick Chasey..........anti......55kg........65.52......May.......SS (42x16)
    Russ...................anti......81kg........66:30......July........Sportive/Com
    JibberJim............anti.....75kg.........66:43.....June......Ex. Club Run Hero (301 AP 313NP)
    marcusjb.............anti......60kg.........67:10......Apr........Slow audaxer!
    velo-city.............clock....77kg.......67:36......July........Tourer / Fitness
    Windmatt ...........anti......81kg........67.50......May..........fitness
    ajh18.................anti......63kg.........68:27......Jun.......Commuter / Fitness
    ilovebigwig..........anti......85kg.........69:40.....May........Commuter/Fitness
    cyclingprop..........clock.....118kg......73:08......Mar........SCR

They're all lying though, right? :-)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Gabbo wrote:

No one said you were lying so stop acting like a 12 year old spoilt brat.

There are fast riders out there, I ride with a guy who can do a 20 at 25mph. Some people have given you suggestions to regain your fitness, but it does seem unreal that in 5 weeks your fitness has dropped so much.
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

There are fast riders out there, I ride with a guy who can do a 20 at 25mph. Some people have given you suggestions to regain your fitness, but it does seem unreal that in 5 weeks your fitness has dropped so much.

:lol:
  • Gabbo
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

Well my fitness was in decline before this 5 week break. Add to that a terrible, terrible diet and walking being my most strenuous form of exercise I can believe that my fitness is able to drop by that much. As for being accused as lying, no, no one did directly accuse me of lying but that what they implied.

I'm just going to get the miles in..
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Joking aside, some of us go slower in the winter. I was averaging 17-18mph on a 2-3 hour ride in the summer - I live in the Mendips. I'm now down to 15-16.5mph. The wind, the mindset, winter bike with heavier tyres are all to blame. Some guys I ride with don't slow at all in the winter. I don't get it myself but they're just made of stronger stuff than me:( I've leaned not to worry though. Wait until the sun comes out and the shorts go back on and you'll be back to normal;-)
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Yes I'm about 15% slower in winter, strange.
  • Heard somewhere cold air is denser then warmer air, maybe this plays a part?
  • Gabbo
    yeachan153 wrote:
    Heard somewhere cold air is denser then warmer air, maybe this plays a part?

Apparently so! I was grateful to have a nice tail wind on my return route this evening!
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Gabbo wrote:
    yeachan153 wrote:
    Heard somewhere cold air is denser then warmer air, maybe this plays a part?

Apparently so! I was grateful to have a nice tail wind on my return route this evening!

I read that also, I struggle when it's below around 5c even more. It is strange as I say as a few guys I know don't slow at all. They are the particularly strong and fast bunch though. Personally I think you need to take the pressure off yourself to perform at certain times of year in order to avoid fatigue later year. Maybe just me though? All I know is I spent a lot of time last winter worrying I'd lost it, then as soon as the weather improved and the summer bike came out I was setting Strava PR's like there's no tomorrow. Hope it's the same this year :D