Mallorca Climbs

KentPuncheur
KentPuncheur Posts: 246
Hi all,

Looking for some guidance. I'm heading to Mallorca in March and am currently planning courses for my week. I'm travelling with non-cyclist friends so I'm going to be heading out on my lonesome.

I am trying to gauge my ability to climb the long draggy ascents (almost alpine like) Mallorca has to offer. I am used to short steep stuff coming from the south east, 1-2km >12% such as Toys Hill etc, but I am pretty much untested on longer climbs and a lesser average gradient.

I've done a number of sportives in the past 12 months (21) so have a pretty good engine and I've been receiving coaching over the winter to prep for some road racing later this year, mainly high intensity turbo sessions targetting my top end speed and fitness, so I'd say I'm in pretty good shape.

I think most of the climbs look pretty do-able for me, such as the Col de Sa Batailla, but has anyone here ridden the Col de l'Honor up to Orient orthe Sa Calobra descent and ascent? Can you give me some inidication of how you found it and what prep (specific if any) you did before tackling these climbs. As I'm out on my own I don't want to be caught out on a mountainside not being able to continue a climb.

Any advice offered would be well received!

Cheers all...
2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.

Comments

• Sa Calobra is one of the best bits of road I've ever seen - its just ridiculous. I didn't even notice what my legs were doing - was too busy taking it all in. Make sure you take a few notes for the cake stop at the bottom though - its pricey!
    Generally though, climbing is just climbing - just keep it below threshold and you'll be fine.

oh - and check out the outdoor velodrome in Sineu if you get the chance.
  • Sa Calobra is brilliant, but you have to do a fair bit of riding and climbing just to get to the general area, and then you have to descend it before you can climb it, as it goes right down to the sea. The beach down there is pretty nice too.

Here's a vid of me doing it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7770IvaoA&sns=em
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    I've just signed up for the Max Hurzeler 167 on 27th April.

http://en.mallorca312.com/route/bicycle ... r-167.html

Got 90 days to get fit enough to enjoy it !!!
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    If you are doing Sa Calobra get one of the bike shops to drive you there and ride back to where you are staying.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    I went to Mallorca last April, first time on long climbs like that and was a bit nervous about it. Have to say it really wan't a big deal! Almost started to enjoy them. As someone else said, just settle into a slightly sub-threshold pace and you'll be comfy. Up it a bit and you'll feel it! Sa Calobra is awesome, took and hour bottom to top but was harder going down - my mate nearly got squished by a coach on a narrow bit :shock:
    We were staying in Alcudia and rode there and back - was a long day but there's places to stop and eat and drink
    Wish I was going again this year :(
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • There's nothing in Mallorca that you won't be able to ride. I did most of the big climbs on a cheap hybrid covered in luggage, with no training.

Would love to head back on a road bike. The ride out from Pollenca to Cap de Formentor and back is pretty stunning, and a nice short sub 50km to start and get your climbing legs warmed up.
  • Johncp wrote:
    my mate nearly got squished by a coach on a narrow bit :shock:

Me too. Just at the point where you go through a mini gorge, and the coach just fits through. I had to squeeze myself through the gap too, as there was no way I was stopping in time.......
    Johncp wrote:
    I was going again this year :(

Me too. :cry: