Hydration before during and after workout?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
When it comes to hydrating on my rides I tend not to, when I cycle into work I usually do 45 mins each way and I don't take it easy, I never hydrate on these journeys, even on longer rides of 2-3 hours I don't, I know it's important to hydrate and I am trying to be better at it, my question is when do I hydrate and how much should I hydrate and should I use lucazade or sports drinks?

Comments

• Water only or electrolytes too if it's warm or you're not drinking much.
    The amount you drink depends on the temperature and the intensity. Just drink when you need to.
    If you really don't drink much then make a conscious effort too.

If you really drink that little I'm surprised you don't so signs of dehydration - headaches.

If your piss is light yellow/clear it's all good. If it's dark, drink more.
  • When do you "hydrate"? FFS, the word is "drink".
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    How much do you weigh?
  • 145lbs
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Have you considered drinking some water occasionally? When thirsty, for example?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Drink by 'feel' may be :?:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Herbsman wrote:
    Have you considered drinking some water occasionally? When thirsty, for example?

Don't be silly.. its all about formulas

Very complicated ones... ideally derived using a regression with a sample of a few thousand cyclists... I'm sure Trev will pop out from under his bridge with some sort of academic paper in a few mins.
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Drink by 'feel' may be :?:

Drinking by 'feel' isn't pro. Its all about getting an SRM drink meter to measure the flow.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    When it comes to hydrating on my rides I tend not to, when I cycle into work I usually do 45 mins each way and I don't take it easy, I never hydrate on these journeys, even on longer rides of 2-3 hours I don't, I know it's important to hydrate and I am trying to be better at it, my question is when do I hydrate and how much should I hydrate and should I use lucazade or sports drinks?

Read Tim Noakes Waterlogged.
  • Herbsman
    Drink power = bottle resistance x water flow squared
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    before it depends on whether you bother 'hydrating' off the bike, you could estimate 'hydrating' by 2 or 3 litres of WATER per day before you consider exercise.

during exercise it depends on your weight/level of fitness/effort/ hills/headwind/the ambient temperature, some say 750ml per hour (disclaimer; I live somewhere hot) after all it's only a commute, so perhaps stop off for a skinny latte.

after go for a pee and check *Dulux colour chart and 'drink' accordingly :D

*other paints are available
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    team47b wrote:
    before it depends on whether you bother 'hydrating' off the bike, you could estimate 'hydrating' by 2 or 3 litres of WATER per day before you consider exercise.

during exercise it depends on your weight/level of fitness/effort/ hills/headwind/the ambient temperature, some say 750ml per hour (disclaimer; I live somewhere hot) after all it's only a commute, so perhaps stop off for a skinny latte.

Mammals have existed for 160 millions of years, how come suddenly man needs to check the colour of his urine to decide how much to drink? Drink when thirsty.
  • Herbsman
    Checking the colour of urine is bullshit... it can be made darker even in a perfectly hydrated person by drinking coffee or eating certain foods
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    team47b wrote:

Mammals have existed for 160 millions of years, how come suddenly man needs to check the colour of his urine to decide how much to drink? Drink when thirsty.

:D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    All I know is that if my pee is any shade of yellow then I haven't been eating beetroot.