Training/Supplements

dony_07
dony_07 Posts: 2
Hi all,

I have rather foolishly agreed to do a 75 mile charity ride in 8 weeks time, and was looking for some advice on how best to use the time I have to avoid embarrassment.

I am beginning from a base level of 0 fitness after a prolonged period out with injury, and have found several difficulties getting back into exercise. I find my recovery period is particularly long, and I am having to take days off at a time to avoid cramping upon rides.
I was hoping someone could give me some advice on supplements that may improve my performance and recovery. Essentially I am looking to improve my overall strength and stamina and also improve recovery time. Could anyone offer any insight?

Your time is much appreciated.

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    You don't need supplements. Try a pint of milk after your ride and maybe give yourself (or get your partner) to give you a massage after training.

Plus of course, if you only have 8 weeks before your ride, you should be realistic and expect it to be very difficult. You're not going to gain massive amounts in 8 weeks regardless of what you eat.

If you want to do well on the ride itself then you might even find greater benefits in things like learning how to draft/ride in a pack, pacing yourself properly for a 5/6 hour effort and figuring out your eating strategy on the day.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    If you're struggling with recovery time(and you only have 8 weeks) maybe you're pushing too hard too soon.

Try dropping your distance down and maybe go more often. This could effectively give you the same training load over the same period. To do 75 miles(slowly) all you need to do is get to ~60 by the end of week 7. So sit down with a pen and work it out.2 x 50 mile rides week 6? 2x 45 mile rides week 5, 2 x 40 wk 4, 2x 35 wk 3, 3x 30 wk 2?
    Thats obviously off the top of my head. do more if you can but not to the point where you compromise your ability to train again. In between the longer rides if you can, you could do short hard efforts, again not so it affects the main rides tho'.
    Obv. in the time scale you've set yourself you ain't gonna be fast. Don't worry about it, concentrate on getting it done.

Edit- just try to eat healthily and well.Try out a few foods on the bike in training. You could try gels if you want or real food both will work.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    The only supplements required for any rider are extra sleep and quality food.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Herbsman wrote:
    The only supplements required for any rider are extra sleep and quality food.

Hi Lance :!: