Bib shorts - why?

2»

Comments

• alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I tried to avoid the lycra look when I started cycling so I tried padded undercrackers and a pair of mtb baggies over them. I soon switched the baggies for a pair of tights but ended up in bibs before very long because I had issues with the waistband in the tights. Now I don't care what people think I look like because I feel so much more comfortable on the bike in bibs.

I'm not sure where my initial lycra issues started but I have been behind riders where the material was started to thin and BAM! can't focus on anything except the wiggly butt-crack and can't get rid of it. Every now and then it pops into my head. It causes sleepless nights and dangerous driving because you never know when BAM!....it strikes again. Oh please...make it BAM!...stop.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    pkngster wrote:
    I don't understand these, what is it about them that i am missing.
    I've been meaning to ask the same question. I've always just worn normal padded Lycra shorts and they have been fine. After reading responses here can't see any benefits for me trying bib shorts.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    pkngster wrote:
    I've been meaning to ask the same question. I've always just worn normal padded Lycra shorts and they have been fine. After reading responses here can't see any benefits for me trying bib shorts.

Carry on as you are then, no-one forces anyone to wear bibshorts (well, other than clubs as they will normally only have bibshorts as part of their kit). I guess it's one of those things that you don't realise something is superior until you try it and after that you wonder how you managed before.
  • ForumNewbie
    Pross wrote:
    pkngster wrote:

Carry on as you are then, no-one forces anyone to wear bibshorts (well, other than clubs as they will normally only have bibshorts as part of their kit). I guess it's one of those things that you don't realise something is superior until you try it and after that you wonder how you managed before.
    Apart from not seeing a good reason for them, I also foresee problems when you need to stop at the side of the road for the call of nature. I'm also wondering if most pros wear bib shorts?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Apart from not seeing a good reason for them, I also foresee problems when you need to stop at the side of the road for the call of nature. I'm also wondering if most pros wear bib shorts?

My old club had several women on our club runs who all wore bibs and all managed a roadside call of nature somehow! And I'm pretty sure all the pros wear bibs, for a bloke it's no more difficult to pee while wearing them than with non bib shorts.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Pros do generally wear bibs. Call of nature isn't exactly difficult. Just ease off one shoulder strap a bit and there is enough stretch to sort things out. It is slightly easier with full length jersey zips but it's not hard either way!

It's as Pross said - if you never try them you'll never miss them and if you do try them you'll wonder why it took you so long. I suspect about 90% of us have, on taking up cycling, looked at bibs and thought 'that's one thing I'm not doing' and then done it :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • i was wary when first cycling about the lycra look, and the p*ss taking it would inspire... but i love the bib shorts, comfy, functional and you can't tell with a top on.

now the only problem i have is other cyclists who all think i'm a tool for riding in team sky colours!! :P
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I would be surprised if any pro wears anything else but bibs.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ar24
    ar24 Posts: 17
    I've just ordered my first pair of bib shorts, can't wait to see what it's like to wear a pair, always been skeptical and jet wore cycling shorts or tights!
  • Keiran, Like yours style! like they say, a picture can say a thousand words.
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    i was totally anti-bibs, then tried a pair. I'll never look back again. Generally warmer all round in the colder weather, especially around the kidneys, and no need to adjust jerseys as they ride up when wearing regular shorts.
  • ForumNewbie
    clubsinger wrote:
    i was wary when first cycling about the lycra look, and the p*ss taking it would inspire... but i love the bib shorts, comfy, functional and you can't tell with a top on.

now the only problem i have is other cyclists who all think i'm a tool for riding in team sky colours!! :P
    I'd probably try bib shorts before Team Sky colours. I like Sky colours but I'd be embarrassed going at my speed in Sky colours as other riders whizzed passed me, thinking "who is he kidding?" :)
  • Those that use bib's, do you still have the padded bum? Being new to this, I still get a sore arse on long rides :D
  • smidsy
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    Those that use bib's, do you still have the padded bum? Being new to this, I still get a sore ars* on long rides :D

Yes.

You can get padded and unpadded but who want's unpadded.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • clubsinger wrote:
    i was wary when first cycling about the lycra look, and the p*ss taking it would inspire... but i love the bib shorts, comfy, functional and you can't tell with a top on.

I'd probably try bib shorts before Team Sky colours. I like Sky colours but I'd be embarrassed going at my speed in Sky colours as other riders whizzed passed me, thinking "who is he kidding?" :)

i play football in an united top.

play ice hockey in a penguins jersey

ppl don't say anything about that... it amazes me that some cyclists look down on you for having a team jersey on.
  • Send link:

p227_t_fi13_lady_s5_white_41.jpg

Walk away....

Wow. Wow.. And wow!

Where can i get me some of those?!?! (the bib shorts I mean!)
  • smidsy
    Assos innit - so get saving.

Actually you could probably get the women cheaper!!! :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    g00se wrote:
    Try nipping to the pub in a pair and trying to have a wee after a few pints. Needs a bit of practice....

Only if you've got a very small trouser snake :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem