Bib shorts - why?

pkngster
pkngster Posts: 17
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I don't understand these, what is it about them that i am missing.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    They prevent you arse crack from showing.

They hold your stomach in.

They keep the pad in position better.

They avoid the wasit digging in (cos there isn't one)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Bib shorts make absolutely no sense at all unless you are on a bike when they make perfect sense
  • smidsy wrote:
    They prevent you ars* crack from showing.

What he said ^-^
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • smidsy wrote:

So they're for fat blokes, basically?

(runs for cover)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    pkngster wrote:
    I don't understand these, what is it about them that i am missing.

The point. Clearly.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    I got the mick taken out of me so much at work when I began turning up in a pair when I started commuting. The guys thought I should go wrestling. On the bike they are just very very comfortable, and will make perfect sense if you try them! I think non-bib shorts should be banned - nothing worse than seeing a Lycra clad rider with his paunch or crack on show.
  • smidsy wrote:

So they're for fat blokes, basically?

(runs for cover)

How VERY dare you!!

But yep you're right :mrgreen:

Bib shorts or tights sound wrong, look kinda wrong but are spot on when on the bike :D
  • How VERY dare you!!

But yep you're right :mrgreen:

Bib shorts or tights sound wrong, look kinda wrong but are spot on when on the bike :D
    Yes, well. I bought some bib shorts, since everyone raves about them.

Tried them on... as it happened they were too small (only slightly - quiet in the back row, there...), but my OH caught me modelling them.

She actually snorted.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • wavefront
    I purposely avoid the mirrors when I'm getting ready and haven't got a top on. Ridiculous is an understatement!
  • I too was very sceptical and refused to buy any. Then I bit the bullet and bought a pair. You will NEVER go back - so much more comfy. My old non bib shorts just collect dust now. Who cares what they look like, with top on nobody would know.

But yes - my wife laughs each and every time I wear them!
    Triban 3
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    I'm new to cycling so haven't had a summer yet. But each time my daughter see's me in my bib tights she laughs. I'm glad I still bring her amusement.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Really, I dont buy the arguments that I normally see for bibs.

I have never had issues with shorts or trousers where my ars* crack shows - on or off the bike.

They hold your stomach in - mine dont because to get bibs for a tall person you often have to go up in size and end up with a larger waist than you would need if non-bibs.

They keep the pad in position better - never had a problem with this in non-bib shorts - again if you buy tight shorts the right size then they shouldnt (and dont) slide around in my experience.

They avoid the wasit digging in (cos there isn't one) - again I have never had a problem with this in any trousers, shorts, tights or whatever I wear. We dont wear braces and baggy waist trousers in normal life so why does it suddenly become an issue on a bike?

I have ridden many 50+mile days without bibs and never had any of these problems with normal shorts or tights.

However, I bought some bibs out of curiosity and have found another reason to buy them, which I feel is compelling - you cant get the best pads in shorts that dont have bibs. Simple as that really - the manufacturers only make the best shorts/pads with bibs so if you want a pad which is more comfortable on 100mile rides then you have no choice.

I bought some Castelli Free Aero and loved them so much that I bought 2 more pairs. The body paint shorts are even nicer shorts but I just couldnt get on with the thin straps they have for the bibs, and to get a strap long enough for my height meant that the legs were baggy.

Funnily enough, they do seem to make female shorts without bibs based on the better shorts/pads but not really for men.
  • Before you could buy bib shorts of the shelf..........
    We used to take the waist elastic out and use braces to hold them up because that was more comfortable.
    I guess the manufacturers spotted this and started making bib shorts etc.
    I just remember that it was just for comfort and have been wearing bibs ever since!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    apreading wrote:
    They hold your stomach in - mine dont because to get bibs for a tall person you often have to go up in size and end up with a larger waist than you would need if non-bibs.

Try different brands? I'm tall (6-2) and skinny (though long legged so not as tall bodily as my height suggests) and find Prendas large are fine. The lycra is stretchy enough that they still don't seem to end up baggy (though I don't have a waist to hold in!!). In Shutt Medium works. When I was trying Prendas on though, I found that there really didn't seem to be much difference in the fit across at least three sizes (I probably tried S, M and L and all fitted - just L a little better) aside from the bib length.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Try nipping to the pub in a pair and trying to have a wee after a few pints. Needs a bit of practice....
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    The sizing is my main worry being new to bib shorts.
    I'm only a short ars* at 5' 6" and not fat, so I bought a Small pair without trying them on. They give me a camel toe :shock: God knows where my nads go? I can't see myself ever wearing them :(
    But then I imagine some Mediums would hang off my backside :cry:
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Remember they're designed for you sitting on a bike. Put them on, lean over like you're on a bike and then hoik the braces up from the back.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Rolf F wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Try different brands? I'm tall (6-2) and skinny (though long legged so not as tall bodily as my height suggests) and find Prendas large are fine. The lycra is stretchy enough that they still don't seem to end up baggy (though I don't have a waist to hold in!!). In Shutt Medium works. When I was trying Prendas on though, I found that there really didn't seem to be much difference in the fit across at least three sizes (I probably tried S, M and L and all fitted - just L a little better) aside from the bib length.

Dont get me wrong - the ones I have arent baggy, but they are stretchy and so to hold yout stomach in, they would have to be compression tight, which mine arent (and I dont think any make would be for my 6" 2' height) - they are just comfortable.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    wavefront wrote:
    I got the mick taken out of me so much at work when I began turning up in a pair when I started commuting. The guys thought I should go wrestling. On the bike they are just very very comfortable, and will make perfect sense if you try them! I think non-bib shorts should be banned - nothing worse than seeing a Lycra clad rider with his paunch or crack on show.

Errr...

You are wearing a top when cycling aren't you? :shock:

and if you are: you are wearing the top OVER the bibs and not the other way 'round? :shock: :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Okay get the idea, but think i'll just stick to the shorts and tights for now, and get enough hassle of the peope at work for that, let alone he ribbing i would get for them. thanks for your thoughts :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pkngster wrote:
    Okay get the idea, but think i'll just stick to the shorts and tights for now, and get enough hassle of the peope at work for that, let alone he ribbing i would get for them. thanks for your thoughts :D

Please see Kierans post above. How would the people at work know you were wearing bibs? And if they were in a position to know you were wearing bibs, what are you going to be displaying to them when you are wearing non bibbed shorts? :shock:

Still, don't worry about it. Most of us have a pair of hardly used non bib shorts at the bottom of the cycle kit draw that we wore for a short time before we understood. No reason why you shouldn't too! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wavefront
    wavefront wrote:

Errr...

You are wearing a top when cycling aren't you? :shock:

and if you are: you are wearing the top OVER the bibs and not the other way 'round? :shock: :shock:

Luckily I am! I stupidly told them what the contents of a parcel was when some were delivered at work - the curious among them googled Bib shorts and haven't stopped laughing since. I think the way they're photographed doesn't help. I think the rule 'don't even mention the word bib shorts whilst at work' should be added to the rule book!
  • I just wear normal tights, dont see the pint of bibs unless you wanted some extra warmth. mine dont ride down.
    mind you im not fat. also much better when you need a waz
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Send link:

p227_t_fi13_lady_s5_white_41.jpg

Walk away....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Anybody else look like Max Wall in their bib tights? My missus always laughs at me. But I will put up with any amount of laughter rather than have a sore arse!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Lol at people who don't wear bib tights / shorts for fear of people laughing at them. Who gives a f**k.
  • Peeing in bib shorts can be hassle.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,542
    Yep, I prefer not to pee in mine. It tends to make them uncomfortable and smelly I find.
  • mrbobuk
    mrbobuk Posts: 20
    adamangler wrote:
    I just wear normal tights, dont see the pint of bibs unless you wanted some extra warmth. mine dont ride down.
    mind you im not fat. also much better when you need a waz

It's easy to have a wee in bibs. Let me explain sir...

A) It's usually cold when you ride in them (bib tights) and B) The third arm is usually the size of a small chutney bit.

Simply, lift up the jersey/jacket and pull the front of the bib tight down, flick the shrimpy out and let the steaming juices lie dormant and festering on the roadside. Now refit clothing. Easy peesy (sic) - no pun intended.

Bibs every time for me.

Toodle pip.
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades" - Merckx