***WARNING*** UK Bike Store

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited January 2013 in MTB general
A warning to people who use this store. I purchased a headset bearing and booked next day (saturday) delivery, a service they provided at a cost of £7. Today is Tuesday and and the item finaly turned up.
I had sold my bike and it was shipped away on monday with no new bearing thanks to the delays. All fair enough with the snow you say but when i phoned the shop i spoke to Dave Kirk the sales manager, well at least thats who he said he was, he had to pause and think of his sir name. I asked for my money to be refunded as they sold me a service and did not provide it. Dave refused point blank to refund my money that they happily took. I informed him i would be taking other routes to get the money, im not fussed about the amount, its the fact companies like theirs see fit to take hard working peoples money and could not care less. AVOID THEIR STORE

My money was paid to UK Bike Store, i have a legally binding contract with them to fulfill their duties of sale and the service they sold me, which they have not done. They are trying to pass blame to the courrier (ROYAL MAIL) although my contract is with UK Bike Store and not Royal Mail.

Im fed up with companies thinking its fine to do what they want to consumers once they have their money. It may only be £7 odds but i work 6 days a week, i work hard, thats an hours wage they have taken. I work hard for everything i have, tiny little house, partner, 2 kids and my car, this isnt intended to sound like a sob story, its just fact. I dont scrounge money, what money i have left is precious and im sick of companies ripping people off.

I know people will have mixed reviews about me posting this but i see no other alternative so im open to advice

regards
scott

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if i wanted something for a certain date i would have gone to my LBS.

I would never trust a Saturday delivery.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    If UKBikeStore got the bearings to the depot in time for Saturday delivery, then its surely RM's fault, not theirs. When was it posted/dispatched and what time did you purchase it at?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    UKBS should however reimburse the seller. It is then up to UKBS to reclaim their monies.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,155
    I suppose if they offered to send it via Royal Mail's special delivery service and they posted it in time then you will have to take it up with Royal Mail (i.e. they said they'd use that particular service rather than offering guaranteed delivery themselves).

Can't you just return it under the distance selling regulations? I guess you don't need it now you've sold the bike.
  • Aye bike is shipped out, buyer is happy that ive kept him up to date with the delay. It was more the attitude and defiance of the sales manager, as mentioned for all it is you would pay the money back to the customer and appologise, not try to shift blame and refuse point blank to pay.

Im just going to stick to my guns and do what i can to get them to pay, just to make a point they should look after customers.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Obviously you're a bit angry with them, you've got a little OTT with it all, but they should have at least given you the £7 back for postage. Definitely frustrating but I don't know what advice you are expecting though - you know it's with UKBS you need to deal with. If they don't refund it after more moaning then small claims. But for the hassle it's probably easier to work an hour at work and chalk it up that are just knobs.
  • I usually never pay for shipping, if I have to pay I get the 5 day super saver
  • Love these type of threads...

If i wanted something guaranteed, I would have been out on the Saturday and bought direct from a LBS.
    You can't blame an online shop for Royal Fail not making a delivery!

CRC are worst for this, their standard unpaid delivery is quicker than paid for next day delivery.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    He still has rights though, and is entitled to the money back for the reasons he states - the service paid for was not provided.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd have ordered what I needed a bit earlier, or got it delivered to work, or gone to my LBS.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Love these type of threads...

If i wanted something guaranteed, I would have been out on the Saturday and bought direct from a LBS.
    You can't blame an online shop for Royal Fail not making a delivery!

CRC are worst for this, their standard unpaid delivery is quicker than paid for next day delivery.

But it was a guaranteed service, the item to be delivered on that day - http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/busin ... y-next-day

You're not guaranteed that your LBS will have the part you need either.
  • You are quite right to be be not happy but possibly a bit pee'd off with the seller right now?

You do have the unconditional right under the DSR (Distance Selling Regulations) to cancel you contract with them within 7 days and are entitled to a full refund of of the service & delivery i.e. the selling & postage.

However the DSR also confirms that if the sellers clearly state they are not liable for the cost of returning them (which their website says they will not be - under their returns section http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/pages/cms/ ... tions.html ) they will not have to pay this.

Have attached a guide issued to business's covering the DSR also - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/busine ... oft913.pdf

So in a nutshell you can have your money back including the postage under the DSR if you want but you will be responsible for the cost of posting them back. Or not and keep the item as the DSR doest not cover a delay in postage

Or you can make a claim from Royal Mail & if by Next day you mean Special Delivery you can claim up to, wait for it this will make it partly better the princely sum of £5 - http://www.royalmail.com/customer-servi ... on-delayed
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • On balance, I've had several items from UK bike store in the past which have all been excellent value and delivered promptly (free of charge).

I do agree that they should have refunded you postage though if they guaranteed a service they didn't provide, even if that service was being provided through a 3rd party and common sense would have told you it was going to be sketchy because of the weather.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    i see no other alternative so im open to advice

Put your grievance in writing to them, politely but firmly. If they still don't refund, consider taking them to court. You can do it online and will cost you £25, although you should be able to claim that back if you win.

May seem excessive for a £7 charge, but if you feel strongly enough about the principle...
  • cheers for the replys guys, i probably went about my post the wrong way but you know, we can all act a muppet at times lol, Dan thanks for the link fella :)
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    If you paid by credit card then you can recover from them as they are jointly and severally responsible for the contract. They will, however dispute that this is covered by law on the basis that it is less than £500 - I cant remember the amt but is > £7. You will have to document comms with the supplier including letters and then claim back the £7 from the CC company after you have made reasonable demands from the supplier. You are well within your rights to reclaim the service element.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I had literally the exact same issue (right down to the fact it was headset) with the same store. I just wrote them an email and got it all refunded (I sent it back).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    This has gone exactly the same way as the STW thread.

Clicky

OP I'm not sure what you're looking to achieve here frankly!
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Two threads on two forums, this guy is serious!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Op needs to understand that a guaranteed next day service is nothing of the sort. You can't guarantee that something will arrive the next day because stuff happens. What it is a guarantee that they will use a system that will generally deliver the following day but might not - and if it doesn't, they should be quick to refund.

It's just a guarantee that the shop will do the best it can given that there are factors beyond their control.

It's like one of the chain hotels that guarantees in its adverts that you'll have a good nights sleep. I've stayed in one of their hotels that had paper thin walls. If my neighbours had been noisy, I wouldn't have had a good nights sleep irrespective of what their guarantee says. The guarantee can only realistically mean a refund if they fail to deliver - it isn't what they say but in practical terms it's what it means.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, ask for come compensation for failure to deliver and they can get something back from Royal Fail.....you as recipient can't as you din't pay (directly) for the service.

You could return under the DSR and sue for the remainder on the basis they failed to comply with the contract you had with them (to deliver next day)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    njee20 wrote:
    OP I'm not sure what you're looking to achieve here frankly!

Opinions? I dont see any problem with posting on two forums. In real life would he only be allowed to tell one person?
  • cheers for the replys guys, i probably went about my post the wrong way but you know, we can all act a muppet at times lol, Dan thanks for the link fella :)

It's alright mate - I think most balanced people, me included, tend to feel hard done by & the toys go out of the pram more often than not. At least now after a little while you have a clear picture on your options and a way of recouping you cash.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    supersonic wrote:
    He still has rights though, and is entitled to the money back for the reasons he states - the service paid for was not provided.

This. +1 potato.

Any other waffle about best endeavors is irrelevent unless it was specifically mentioned in the T&C's.

The are ways in which you can guarantee a next day delivery, but they are usually prohibitively expensive. In this case the shop made a guarantee and then chose a delivery service that could not match in. Their problem not the OP's.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I had a quick look at the site, and don't actually see any guaranteed delivery. There is an option for Saturday delivery, which when you order gives you an "Expected" delivery date.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    UK Bikestore are also advertising,and have been since December,2013 Marzocchi 55 CR forks on "estimated delivery tomorrow".There are none in the country.I know this as bought and paid for some direct from Italy last September and cancelled the order when told(again) they've been put back to late February.Windwave (UK importer and supplier to UKBikestore) can't get them so why advertise not only for sale but also as delivery tomorrow when the product isn't even manufactured yet :roll:
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    Two threads on two forums, this guy is serious!

At least 3:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... did=144002

This is great publicity for UKBS, They are one of my LBS and a good bunch of guys.

OP try speaking to them again in a different tone to all the post you have been putting all over the internet and I’m sure they will refund you or send you some brake pads or something.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    ibbo68 wrote:
    UK Bikestore are also advertising,and have been since December,2013 Marzocchi 55 CR forks on "estimated delivery tomorrow".There are none in the country.I know this as bought and paid for some direct from Italy last September and cancelled the order when told(again) they've been put back to late February.Windwave (UK importer and supplier to UKBikestore) can't get them so why advertise not only for sale but also as delivery tomorrow when the product isn't even manufactured yet :roll:
    Dave Hinde got an ASA adjudication against him for this very thing; advertising items he didn't have. That was in a magazine though, but the same rules should apply.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    It's not Royal Mail's fault because the shop obviously didn't send it on friday which the buyer paid for £7 for them to do so it was delived on Saturday by special delivery
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    LJ. wrote:
    It's not Royal Mail's fault because the shop obviously didn't send it on friday which the buyer paid for £7 for them to do so it was delived on Saturday by special delivery

But they don't guarantee despatch time either, so it's no one's fault.