Algarve Training Routes

Roubaixsl3
Roubaixsl3 Posts: 48
Can anyone advise on routes for decent training in the Algarve ?. I'll be based in Felisia just along the coast from Albufeira. Ideally want to start from Felisia but don't mind having to drive up to an hour for a better start point. Looking for as much climbing as possible. Would be great if there were digital maps available, similar to Memory Map, to help with plotting new routes and checking the elevation profiles but I can't find anyhting covering Portugal.
Thanks,
Robin

Comments

• Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    There aren't many climbs in Algarve to be honest (the real mountains are up north), but you can find all of the known ones on Strava. The most known climbs are in Monchique which isn't too far from Albufeira, so depending on your form and what type of ride you want, you don't even need to drive (or drive very little). If you want a shorter ride you can drive near Portimão, for example, and it's very straightforward from there.

The main climb is Foia (http://app.strava.com/segments/734864). It's not that steep and it isn't really hard, but the view is pretty good and most people who live in Algarve and are on Strava climbed it at least once, so it's a good starting point. It's also a good climb for just training. Check the rides on the leaderboard of that climb to find people, and check their rides. You might find something you like (plus, those rides are usually "safe").
  • Thanks, I didn't think to check strava.
  • We're heading there in Feb with a guy who owns a house there. I'll ask him and try to recommend some routes. There is a big climb apparently that was re-surfaced for LAs return in the Tour of the Algarve.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    There is a big climb apparently that was re-surfaced for LAs return in the Tour of the Algarve.
    I honestly don't remember a climb being resurfaced for LA, but the "big climb" is unfortunately the one I already posted. It's not to steep but it's still a good climb and should take a good hour to get up there with decent fitness. There's a couple of variants to the same climb and some other long climbs (with low grade as well), but the steep ones are also very short. For example, the usual climb (Alto do Malhão), where Porte took the lead last year, is much steeper, but it's also much shorter.
  • Thanks all. I don't necessarily need to be doing huge climbs. Any long routes around 100 miles taking in a variety of terrain would be great. Just being able to cycle in a decent climate is more than enough return, anyhting else is a bonus. I'd like to get a hold of some decent maps, similar to OS, to enable me to work out some routes. I usually plot my runs on Memory Map over here, to get accurate distances and elevation profiles. Is there a method of doing this with the likes of Strava ?
    Thanks,
    Robin
  • This looks like a reasonable start :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/volta- ... 12/stage-1
  • Riding in the Algarve is really under rated in my opinion.
    I was there over Xmas and new year staying in Lagos.
    Any decent rides in the area will no doubt base around monchique and there are about 10 ways up it.
    The road from portimao straight up to monchique is almost just like a long false flat except a few hard is sections but its good none the less. From monchique to foia is much harder but fairly short. The whole climb goes from the sea to 900 metres. Definitely worth doing.
    Other options are to go to monchique via silves, there is a road from silves to monchique that is stupidly steep (over 20%)
    Or going further west the road from Lagos to marmalete has some really tough sections. The only problem with anywhere west of monchique/portimao is that it is so quiet you can literally ride for 2 hours without seeing a soul! Just some dodgy looking farmhouses with dogs barking and chasing you!
    Further east the rides from albuferia to Sao Bartolomo and around there is pretty good.
    I have some GPS files from my rides. I think my garmin account is the same name as this forum account so you may be able to find them on garmin connect.
    One thing to beware of in Portugal is that the maps and road signage is crap and really odd. You can plan a route by looking at a map and setting yourself waypoints at decent sized towns according to a map but the villages nod even the roads don't exist. Or you will see a sign for a village that seems a fair size and a mile later the road completely disappears to a gravel track and no sign of said village.
    One good thing about monchique is that there is a cluster of wind generators near the top of the climb so its well visible for miles around. Just keep riding towards it and you'll get there!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    gazrichards has covered it pretty well, the big climbs are based around Monchique, the maps are useless, print out your own google satelite maps at least you can then see which roads are tarmac.

Last year's volta stages are here (they haven't announced this year's yet :roll: ...
    http://www.voltaalgarve.com/?page_id=46
    this shows elevation etc

Head north of you to Alte as a good way to get some really nice empty smooth roads, rolling hills. Head east to Salir , (I like this road) . Google Cachapo (two houses and a dog sized village) but great hills all the way to Tavira (on the coast).

I know you have a car, but take a rain (bike goes free!) anywhere across the Algarve and cycle back.

Bikemap
    http://www.bikemap.net/#lat=37.45673690 ... ts_terrain

this gives you elevation/distances and route plans for the Algarve, but if you get lost just give me a call :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    gazrichards has covered it pretty well, the big climbs are based around Monchique, the maps are useless, print out your own google satelite maps at least you can then see which roads are tarmac.

Last year's volta stages are here (they haven't announced this year's yet :roll: ...
    http://www.voltaalgarve.com/?page_id=46
    this shows elevation etc

Head north of you to Alte as a good way to get some really nice empty smooth roads, rolling hills. Head east to Salir , (I like this road) . Google Cachapo (two houses and a dog sized village) but great hills all the way to Tavira (on the coast).

I know you have a car, but take a rain (bike goes free!) anywhere across the Algarve and cycle back.

Bikemap
    http://www.bikemap.net/#lat=37.45673690 ... ts_terrain

this gives you elevation/distances and route plans for the Algarve, but if you get lost just give me a call :D
    Much obliged. I did see that the Volta had been cancelled this tear for financial reasons!!!. I printed off the 4 stages from last year to give me an idea for some routes. I just need my brother to get his finger out now, he's bought an apartment, just waiting for the legal bod's to close the deal. He's been going to Falesia for years for winter training with his running club. I've never been but as soon as he told me about it I was looking at maps to figure out where I could train.
  • Riding in the Algarve is really under rated in my opinion.
    I was there over Xmas and new year staying in Lagos.
    Any decent rides in the area will no doubt base around monchique and there are about 10 ways up it.
    The road from portimao straight up to monchique is almost just like a long false flat except a few hard is sections but its good none the less. From monchique to foia is much harder but fairly short. The whole climb goes from the sea to 900 metres. Definitely worth doing.
    Other options are to go to monchique via silves, there is a road from silves to monchique that is stupidly steep (over 20%)
    Or going further west the road from Lagos to marmalete has some really tough sections. The only problem with anywhere west of monchique/portimao is that it is so quiet you can literally ride for 2 hours without seeing a soul! Just some dodgy looking farmhouses with dogs barking and chasing you!
    Further east the rides from albuferia to Sao Bartolomo and around there is pretty good.
    I have some GPS files from my rides. I think my garmin account is the same name as this forum account so you may be able to find them on garmin connect.
    One thing to beware of in Portugal is that the maps and road signage is crap and really odd. You can plan a route by looking at a map and setting yourself waypoints at decent sized towns according to a map but the villages nod even the roads don't exist. Or you will see a sign for a village that seems a fair size and a mile later the road completely disappears to a gravel track and no sign of said village.
    One good thing about monchique is that there is a cluster of wind generators near the top of the climb so its well visible for miles around. Just keep riding towards it and you'll get there!
    Thanks very much, can't wait to do some decent training in good weather. Been stuck on the trainer since November with the ocassional weekend outing, I need some warmth in my old bones.......
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    This year's Volta ao Algarve is from the 14th to the 17th of Feb they only cancelled one of the stages so there will be four stages this year not five.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike