How to estimate matches?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Hi,

I am just wondering if its possible to firstly work out how many matches you have to burn, then work out how you go about increasing the number of matches and how to making those matches last longer?

Thanks
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    A 'match' is defined by the racing situation isn't it? so, no.

or: make your match big enough and you will only need one!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Weigh one of them, then weigh all of them. Divide the total weight by the weight of one.

Increase the number by buying another matchbox, and make them last longer by keeping them upright once you've struck them.

(sorry - couldn't resisit)
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I only have one match. :(
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Have you tried Microdosing?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Depends how long you want the match to last.

Just as an example(off the top of my head) i suppose if you wanted to be able to go with an attack for ~2mins?? then do it on the turbo. so during say a sweet spot/tempo session, go off hard for 2 mins. Recover for a while and do it again. If you can do it 5 times next time try 6. OR try 2mins 30secs. OR try with less recovery time.OR all of the above. Everyone is different, but we all respond to specific training.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • The concept of matches is somewhat inchoate, but keep in mind one important principle:

recovery from any effort, irrespective of its intensity, is a wholly aerobic process.

IOW the better your aerobic condition, the better your recovery and ability to repeat an effort and with greater frequency.

There are a few ways one can examine a power files to identify where such situations occur (if it's not already obvious to the rider), one would be to use the initial part of the Normalized Power algorithm and plot the 30-sec average power raised to the 4th power. This makes such forays into the "red zone" a little more distinct.

Another would be to plot the estimated maximal accumulated O2 deficit.

There is training with the primary aim of giving you bigger matches to use, and training designed to improve your ability to recharge, strike another match and do so sooner and more frequently.

Then there is training the brain to know how and when to use them.