stupid question prepared for stupid answers

2»

Comments

• nochekmate wrote:
    Here we go again - the only sensible answer is that your average speed would have been higher if the Bianchi had been in celeste! :wink:

Surely, as with cars, red ones go faster?

Lovely bike, Skinnydog. Sort out your cuffs and collars though - they need to match.

Regarding average speed, get yourself on Strava, then you'll realise that the only important thing is your position on the leader board for each and every segment you ride. In climbing the tables, you'll find your average speed goes up naturally as a very welcome by product.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    nochekmate wrote:
    Here we go again - the only sensible answer is that your average speed would have been higher if the Bianchi had been in celeste! :wink:

Not at all. It is well known that red paint molecules are bigger than other colour paint molecules and hence the finish of red paint is rougher, creating more drag. That is why red, as well as grey, is used as an undercoat with others colours on top. The top coat smooths everything off and improve drag (compared red and gray).

Send the bianchi back to the factory to have the paint job finished and your average will go up.
  • Join a club. That will take your average speed up or down depending on whether you go out with cake run group or the want to train for the next 100mile audax group.

If I do the chain gang, 40 miles with three cat5 hills, then I get to 18mph average. I am a 46 year old slim reasonably fit short arse. That effort is at the very edge of my capability and precludes any thought of going out the next day. So the normal club rum is about 13 mph over 50mph and the faster one is a about 15mph which is hard and has some serious climbs in it. The racers are on a different planet and a lot younger.

Anyway this is what the ride leads tell me on our forum. Personally I have no idea, sometimes I want a serious workout, other times I like to trundle around the lanes searching out pubs to return to one day.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Navrig wrote:
    nochekmate wrote:

Not at all. It is well known that red paint molecules are bigger than other colour paint molecules and hence the finish of red paint is rougher, creating more drag. That is why red, as well as grey, is used as an undercoat with others colours on top. The top coat smooths everything off and improve drag (compared red and gray).

Send the bianchi back to the factory to have the paint job finished and your average will go up.

Everyone knows white bikes are the fastest. Look at Bond's Lotus in the Spy Who Loved me. That was white and out ran a helicopter. :P
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Calpol wrote:
    TheFD wrote:
    Calpol wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:
    Hello!

When I started (about 2yrs-ish ago) my average was around 11mph which by all accounts isn't fast. I seem to have lept to 13mph this year (so far) so what ever your average is I'd just build on that. Also, going out with guys who seem to average 15-16mph is supposed to be a really good way of getting your milage up a bit quicker, just don't take it personal when they drop you.

Mx

2mph jump in average speed in a year. Sounds suspicious to me. Have you been to Madrid recently Lance ?? :lol:
    I thinks thats a little churlish. Going from 11 to 13 can be easily explained. I think the gains above 16mph are probably harder to achieve.
    Come on....anyone can see that Tetleys comment was said tongue in cheek!!!!
    Quite right - I was being a knob - ignore me!! Obviously had my sense of humour knocked out by work today :)

Don't think I'll ever post again now :D[/quote]

I never did nothin'. You're all fat ugly jelous people (except Calpol who should get my tattoo) and should be prepaired to be glared at at every opportunity (and especially when anyone mentions your name).

In 5 years time when I'm finished dominating the TDF, I'll tell youse you were all right (but deserving of my wrath cos' you're all sh!t on my shoe, and I'd've won regardless), I'm sorry (not really) and ask nicely if you'll let me play again (who needs you feckers anyway).

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com