stupid question prepared for stupid answers

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
i am new to cycling and got my first bike last week a bianchi monocoque 928,i have never ridden a bike on the roads and the stupid question i was wanting to know is everyone goes on about average speeds, i was wondering as a new rider what my average speed would be roughly when i first start, i know it all depends on me, im 39 80kgs and would class myself as fit if i was going at a steady pace roughly how fast would that be, i see peolpe go on about 16-20 mph how far would i be behind that, i know i am going to get loads of stupid answers but any would help, where i go would be quite flat ground with the odd mild hill included cheers

Comments

• Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    I think the precise answer to this question is 14.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Before we can answer we need some pictures of your new bike. You cant say you have bought a new Bianchi and not show it off. ;)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Aim to do the first mile at about 25mph, and see how long you can maintain it
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    my computers say my average is ROAD 13mph over 2900 miles, MTB 11mph over 2600 miles
  • My new bike
  • your average speed should be all over the place - most people have routes that they know like the proverbial back of hands so know where to put the hammer down and where to take it easy so their avs are likely to be more consistent, part of the fun of starting out is going to new places and getting used to new routes- so just take the time to enjoy the bike and get used to it and let the averages take care of themselves - if you're enjoying, thats all that matters. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    ^that.Now keep calm and carry on.

Now if you`d only asked how to increase your average speed...
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • tetley10
    Nice bike. You buy it to match your red place mats? OR did the wife choose it for you?? :)
  • cant believe nobody has mentioned the super pedals i have on the new ones are waiting to be put on lol
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    thought it may have been a commuter thing......
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Tssk. The bottle clashes somewhat, therefore your average will never match a pro.

Aim for 17.6 - 19.4 for a sense of contentment, with peaks of 40+ and troughs of no lower than 6 on any hill covered with tarmac of some description.
  • cant believe nobody has mentioned the super pedals i have on the new ones are waiting to be put on lol

We didn't want to make you feel bad mate!

As others have said it will depend on your route really & how fit you actually are. Could be between 14mhp & 20mph, but could just as easily be a lot lower. Best thing to do is short of buying a bike computer just ride the same route a few times to get used to the bike & your new pedals and see what time it takes you and how much this improves over time.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    I wouldn't worry about average speed as long as you are enjoying the bike! Unless you want to race just enjoy the ride :)
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Here we go again - the only sensible answer is that your average speed would have been higher if the Bianchi had been in celeste! :wink:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Set your computer to kilometres, you will go faster :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    average speed is pretty irrelevant as other have said once you know your routes etc you can get really good speeds there but on routes you dont know it will be much less. just get out and cycle for now get lots of miles in find some nasty climbs to challenge yourself and then get doing some sportives. i would say worrying about speed will come more after your first season.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • tetley10
    Make sure you ride downhill a lot. That should help you crank it up a bit. You'll have you're pals claiming you're on the juice though.
    You'll never be able to ride fast on them half wheels in that picture.
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    I started out in October and while not overweight (6 foot - 80 kilos) I was extremely unfit having done no CV work for years. I live in a hilly-ish area and my averages so far have been ranging between 10-14. Take from that what you will 8)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Advice advocating not worrying too much about average speed is very sound however I don't expect many people heed this. If you have an ounce of competitiveness in you then you will want to be the best you can be and yesterday. Of course there are so many variables like road surface , wind, terrain profile, tyres, bike fit, time of the day, other weather conditions.

I would advise that you find a way of logging your rides on Strava or equivalent so you can assess your improvement over time. Coming from a similar position to you at 40ish and c80kg, I can tell you that last year I average 15.4mph over c1800 miles. I think this is a fair reflection of my ability but as a figure on its own its pretty irrelevant. I ride in Bedfordshire mostly and its undulating. I did a weekend in Norfolk with a group and averaged 19mph over 200 miles. So you will see that its very varied. Sometimes I get back having struggled for 30 miles and only managed 15mph, other times I fly along and do 18mph on a similar course!

Strava is a good motivator and benchmark as you can see your improvement over time in separate segments. It makes you work harder each ride and initially I think you will improve fast but the best way to improve is probably riding with better riders. Try to enjoy it and use your data as motivation to train more.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    My new bike
    This is like a little teasing photo...

Would be good to see the whole bike next time! :wink:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    i am new to cycling and got my first bike last week a bianchi monocoque 928,i have never ridden a bike on the roads and the stupid question i was wanting to know is everyone goes on about average speeds, i was wondering as a new rider what my average speed would be roughly when i first start, i know it all depends on me, im 39 80kgs and would class myself as fit if i was going at a steady pace roughly how fast would that be, i see peolpe go on about 16-20 mph how far would i be behind that, i know i am going to get loads of stupid answers but any would help, where i go would be quite flat ground with the odd mild hill included cheers
    It's impossibe to know, it depends on a lot of things. Strength will get you speed, fitness will maintain it. The route you choose will also affect it.

Don't worry about it for now, you'll find out what you can do on your first ride. Log it and then as you ride more and more, you will see your speeds naturally creeping upwards. Set up a Strava account which will let you see some good detail about your rides. All you need is an android/Apple smartphone with GPS, or a cycle computer with GPS logging.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    forget average speed - sort that water bottles clashing colours out - this should be your prime concern!

As for average speed - really mine can differ by 8mph depending on how I feel on a given day - honestly I was really concerned about average speed when I started out - now I couldn't give a damn - I just focus on getting fitter and faster in myself
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    Hello!

When I started (about 2yrs-ish ago) my average was around 11mph which by all accounts isn't fast. I seem to have lept to 13mph this year (so far) so what ever your average is I'd just build on that. Also, going out with guys who seem to average 15-16mph is supposed to be a really good way of getting your milage up a bit quicker, just don't take it personal when they drop you.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • tetley10
    Muffintop wrote:
    Hello!

When I started (about 2yrs-ish ago) my average was around 11mph which by all accounts isn't fast. I seem to have lept to 13mph this year (so far) so what ever your average is I'd just build on that. Also, going out with guys who seem to average 15-16mph is supposed to be a really good way of getting your milage up a bit quicker, just don't take it personal when they drop you.

Mx

2mph jump in average speed in a year. Sounds suspicious to me. Have you been to Madrid recently Lance ?? :lol:
  • Calpol
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:
    Hello!

Mx

2mph jump in average speed in a year. Sounds suspicious to me. Have you been to Madrid recently Lance ?? :lol:
    I thinks thats a little churlish. Going from 11 to 13 can be easily explained. I think the gains above 16mph are probably harder to achieve.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Calpol wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:
    Hello!

Mx

I thinks thats a little churlish. Going from 11 to 13 can be easily explained. I think the gains above 16mph are probably harder to achieve.
    Come on....anyone can see that Tetleys comment was said tongue in cheek!!!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Calpol
    TheFD wrote:
    Calpol wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:
    Hello!

Mx

Quite right - I was being a knob - ignore me!! Obviously had my sense of humour knocked out by work today :)
  • tetley10
    Calpol wrote:
    TheFD wrote:
    Calpol wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Muffintop wrote:
    Hello!

Mx

Quite right - I was being a knob - ignore me!! Obviously had my sense of humour knocked out by work today :)

Don't think I'll ever pat again now :D
  • tetley10
    Post again (sorry)
  • tetley10
    Farked that up didn't I !