Smuggling white powders across international borders

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
Has anyone got any advice for taking maltodextrin and whey protein on a training camp? I have bought some from Myprotein.com and put them in their plastic tubs, but I'm a bit worried that unlabelled white plastic tubs full of powder will look suspicious if my luggage gets searched by Customs officials.
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Present them at customs, preferably with the packaging.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I've just stuck stuff in my hold luggage and not had any problems. If they see something they dont like they'll call you, I once had a battery drill in my hold luggage in germany (work) and they just called me to check my case as it looked a bit dodgy on the xray scanner.
    Just check in nice and early, so if you do have any issues, you have time to spare and won't miss your flight.
  • Herbsman wrote:
    Has anyone got any advice for taking maltodextrin and whey protein on a training camp? I have bought some from Myprotein.com and put them in their plastic tubs, but I'm a bit worried that unlabelled white plastic tubs full of powder will look suspicious if my luggage gets searched by Customs officials.

Put a weeks supply in a balloon and smuggle it anally. You can't be too careful.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yeh I usually just fill my water bottles with the powder, i figure if they want they cant test and tell its nothing interesting.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Reply No.3 looks the best suggestion, but I'd wait for Trev to supply some scientific study notes to ignore
  • Herbsman
    danowat wrote:
    So can I just go to customs with it for them to inspect before I check my baggage in? I can take the receipt and the packaging for the maltodextrin as it's only a small bag, but with the protein being less dense than the maltodextrin it 's about three times the size. Only planning on taking 100g of protein with me and luggage weight is limited so taking the entire 1kg bag will be a bit inconvenient...
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Take it as hold luggage. If they stop you they stop you, you explain what it is, let them taste it (or whatever) and then you're free to go. ALternatively you could buy what you need at the training camp - if you're going to a popular cycling venue they'll be bars and powders to choose from... ?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Herbsman wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    So can I just go to customs with it for them to inspect before I check my baggage in? I can take the receipt and the packaging for the maltodextrin as it's only a small bag, but with the protein being less dense than the maltodextrin it 's about three times the size. Only planning on taking 100g of protein with me and luggage weight is limited so taking the entire 1kg bag will be a bit inconvenient...

Just put it in your bag that you check in..it wont be detected by the baggage x-ray as anything dodgy, they are pretty sophisticated machines and are only really llooking for explosives..
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    For all the worries, is it not easier to just pay the premium and buy some over there? If you only need a few hundred g it's hardly going to be a massive expense.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Hide it in your cocaine. With a bit of luck they won’t spot it, especially if it’s the same colour
  • ShutUpLegs
    Herbsman wrote:
    Has anyone got any advice for taking maltodextrin

Is that the stuff that makes your earlobes grow longer and your dick shrivel?
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    100g of protein? Why not just eat some extra chicken at dinner time? 100g is bugger all really. If you were wanting to take a kilo fair enough, but I wouldn't go through the trouble for 100g
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Just stick it in the lining of your suit-case, that way you won't lose it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    put it in with some fresh coffee so the cycling sniffer hound can't smell it, unless your training camp is in Columbia
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Buy some chocolate flavour powder. It will most likely be brown and thus clearly not cocaine
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Not recommended to take with you on traing camps to Bali.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Herbsman
    MattMTB wrote:
    100g of protein? Why not just eat some extra chicken at dinner time? 100g is bugger all really. If you were wanting to take a kilo fair enough, but I wouldn't go through the trouble for 100g
    Can't guarantee food will be available soon after a ride. Will be riding 5 out of 7 days. 20g in a recovery drink straight after each ride = 100g. May end up doing 2 rides some days, so will actually take 200 just in case
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Dissolve it it water then when you get there boil the water until it evaporates and you are left with just the powder. Alternatively hide it in the frame of your bike.

Seriously, just put it in your luggage and label the tubs with what it is, you might get stopped and asked what it is but it's unlikely. They'll have ways of checking substances if they are suspicious.
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    Condom wraps and swallow, easily done
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • ShutUpLegs
    ArdyOCD wrote:
    Condom wraps and swallow, easily done

Groundhog Day