Uneven leg strength (length?)

styxd
styxd Posts: 3,234
I'm sure this is a problem that affects plenty of cyclists, I know its affected me for ages but I've never thought about it to much.

When cycling hard (Im more of a pedal masher than a spinner) I notice that my right leg tends to "feel the burn" whereas my left leg always seems fine. If I sit and spin away, the problem is less apparent.

Now, what would be the cause of this? I guess a leg length discrepancy - but which leg? I guess my right leg is shorter than my left and the saddle height is set in terms of my right leg, hence it can work hard, whilst my left leg flaps about?

If I concetrate, I feel I can use both legs about equally, but this probably involves pedalling in an unnatural style (dropping my left heel more)

Anyone else experience this? What were your solutions? Shims? Or is this a completely normal phenomenon?

Comments

• I have a leg lenght discrepancy - my right is some inch or so shorter and I use Spedplay pedals and a couple of their shims which sort it out. Its relativley easy to measure if someone measures from your greater trochanter (GT) to your lateral malleolus (LM)on each leg - I say relatively easy as the difficult bit is correctly identifying those points on both legs to make a fair comparison. The GT is the bony bit on the outside of your leg at the hip and your LM is the bony bit of your ankle that sticks out furthest on the outside of your ankle. There are guides as to how to do it online.

I am a Physio so we measured each other when training but I noticed it cycling as a pain on my right sit bone and front of left knee = saddle too high for my right and too low for my left.

Also bear in ming everyone has one leg stronger than the other so that could be that at the more ectreme force demand (grinding a big gear) you feel the difference but when spinning you don't. My left leg is way way stronger than my right and I really have to make myself balance them when pushing hard but don't really notice it when cruising or spinning along.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    styxd wrote:
    I guess a leg length discrepancy - but which leg?
    It could be both...
  • styxd
    Tom Dean wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    It could be both...

:D
  • styxd wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    It could be both...

:D

Very dangerous if both are the shorter one - when I was training we were told it could only be cured by regular kicks up the butt.
  • styxd
    I have a leg lenght discrepancy - my right is some inch or so shorter and I use Spedplay pedals and a couple of their shims which sort it out. Its relativley easy to measure if someone measures from your greater trochanter (GT) to your lateral malleolus (LM)on each leg - I say relatively easy as the difficult bit is correctly identifying those points on both legs to make a fair comparison. The GT is the bony bit on the outside of your leg at the hip and your LM is the bony bit of your ankle that sticks out furthest on the outside of your ankle. There are guides as to how to do it online.

I am a Physio so we measured each other when training but I noticed it cycling as a pain on my right sit bone and front of left knee = saddle too high for my right and too low for my left.

Also bear in ming everyone has one leg stronger than the other so that could be that at the more ectreme force demand (grinding a big gear) you feel the difference but when spinning you don't. My left leg is way way stronger than my right and I really have to make myself balance them when pushing hard but don't really notice it when cruising or spinning along.

Thanks for the reply.

In terms of leg length measurement, I guess its not just the overall length that counts, but whether its your upper or lower leg that has the discrepancy?

Also, if I really concentrate on my pedalling, I can pedal "evenly" with both legs.

Could it possibly be due to having a naturally dominant right side? FWIW, I cant throw with my left hand, write with my left hand, kick a football with my left foot, ride with my left foot forward etc. I think I have a very dominant right side.
  • styxd wrote:
    In terms of leg length measurement, I guess its not just the overall length that counts, but whether its your upper or lower leg that has the discrepancy?

Also, if I really concentrate on my pedalling, I can pedal "evenly" with both legs.

Could it possibly be due to having a naturally dominant right side? FWIW, I cant throw with my left hand, write with my left hand, kick a football with my left foot, ride with my left foot forward etc. I think I have a very dominant right side.
    Suggest getting a quality bike fit.

Having a dominant side is no impediment to performance. But get a quality bike fit.

Asymmetry is normal. Some of us are just more normal than others. But get a quality bike fit.
  • styxd
    styxd wrote:

Suggest getting a quality bike fit.

Having a dominant side is no impediment to performance. But get a quality bike fit.

Asymmetry is normal. Some of us are just more normal than others. But get a quality bike fit.

Thanks for the advice. I feel fairly comfortable on my bike and haven't sustained any injuries. But you're right, a bike fit may well correct this "uneven" feeling, something thats difficult to do by yourself.

I think I might try some single leg drills though :wink:

But really, I think I'll spend my time forcing my left leg to work harder, if I'm not getting anywhere with it then a bike fit sounds like a good option.

Who would you recommend in the North West?
  • styxd wrote:
    I only know one bike fitter in North Sydney, but I fear you might be referring to the UK, in which case, NFI, although one of our UK coaches is a cycling biomechanics expert (his PhD), I don't think he's in the NW.
  • styxd wrote:
    I only know one bike fitter in North Sydney, but I fear you might be referring to the UK, in which case, NFI, although one of our UK coaches is a cycling biomechanics expert (his PhD), I don't think he's in the NW.

Xavier is in the Midlands.
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • styxd
    styxd wrote:

A flight to Sydney would be lovely, but after a quick look, I think a drive down the M6 to see Paul Hewitt will be money better spent.

I might take a couple of videos on the turbo trainer tonight to see if theres any obvious differences with the "action" of each leg.
  • mwf28
    mwf28 Posts: 37
    Just buy a longer or shorter crank for the side affected!!
  • Has anyone any idea if shims are available for Look Keo ?

thanks
    Gavin
  • styxd
    I bought some shims last night, 3 bolt fitting, JEJames cycles.
  • styxd wrote:
    I bought some shims last night, 3 bolt fitting, JEJames cycles.

Are they for Look Keo ?

Thanks
    Gav
  • styxd
    Gav,

They're for 3 bolt cleats, so they'll fit Look fine I presume.
  • Ok Cheers.
    I will be over Rotherham way soon so I am going to pick a pair up an try them.

Gav
  • styxd
    Dont waste your time. they're out of stock, I was refunded earlier today.