Heart Rate Monitor - Do I need One?

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
Having just got my first Turbo a week or so ago, I'm currently just using cadence on my Garmin 800. I have often wondered what `extra` I would achieve using a heart rate monitor. I can quite easily leave a puddle on the floor after an hour on the turbo ( without a fan but in the cold garage ). Will I find any benefit?
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Need? no

Benifit from having one? possibly
  • Yes or no depends what you want to do with it.

Can be a useful & relatively cheap training tool & once you have your zones set out there are lots of training books, programmes, videos on Youtube out there to help you.

However there are just as many that options out there that are not HRM based.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I am just really wanting to get fitter and maybe faster / better climber. I'm not intending racing but you never know! I'm finding myself inbetween the two Sunday club rides in terms of speed/ability so was wondering what to do to bridge the gap to the faster group. Have tried and failed at the Chainy with them several months ago so haven't had the bottle to try to ride a good distance with them. The other club ride is more a social one and I find that even though we might do 80miles its a long day because of the pit stops they have for a natter. Not that I mind that, I just would prefer one stop, not 2 or 3.
    So if anyone can help me out with ideas on how to improve with or without the HRM then please do so.
    Thanks.

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Personally, I would say try one out. Last year I trained on feel - if you can call it that - and could never really keep up with some of my group when the distance or the speed dragged out. This year, I've followed one of the British Cycling training plans which uses an HRM and it's quite eye-opening as to how structured zonal training can be (compared to just 'getting miles in your legs'). Especially the work around 'threshold'.

Now, it might be that I'm just cr4p at training without a thorough plan - but it certainly seems to have helped, especially as most if it has had to have been on a static bike.
  • Personally, I would say yes but also add cadence as training plans using HRM will also use cadence ranges. I agree with the previous post that how beneficial structured zonal training especially 'threshold' is comparing to just 'getting miles in your legs'. Currently I am working on 'raising VO2 maximum and cardiac output' so the training plan says, been doing it for just over 2 weeks now and I am seeing imrovements in my climbing.

I also use the HRM and cadence to measure my effort and whether I am improving, experts will say heart rate is not a real measure of effort and that is true but I cannot afford a 'power meter'. Just wish the pedals with power meters built in would be cheaper.

I still also 'just get out and ride' too. I would recommend everyone to try a structured plan and would bet they would see improvement.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Didn't your Garmin come with a HRM?
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    What turbo do you have? A speed/cadence sensor might be more useful from a training perspective as you can use various programmes (Golden Cheetah for free, TrainerRoad for $10/month) and the turbo's power/speed curve to take your speed on the turbo and translate it into power. If you're doing structured training on the turbo, power is a more accurate way to measure improvement than HR or overall cadence.

That said, I do use a HR monitor and like having it as a secondary measure of what I'm doing -- combined with power and perceived effort, HR tells me things like if I'm tired, fresh, ill, etc.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    maryka wrote:
    What turbo do you have? A speed/cadence sensor might be more useful from a training perspective as you can use various programmes (Golden Cheetah for free, TrainerRoad for $10/month) and the turbo's power/speed curve to take your speed on the turbo and translate it into power. If you're doing structured training on the turbo, power is a more accurate way to measure improvement than HR or overall cadence.

That said, I do use a HR monitor and like having it as a secondary measure of what I'm doing -- combined with power and perceived effort, HR tells me things like if I'm tired, fresh, ill, etc.

Not saying these methods are a bad idea, but don't expect the numbers to be real or transferable from one machine to another even an identical model or onto the road.
  • Turbo is the new Tacx Blue Motion. And when I bought my Garmin 800 back in April last year I couldn't afford the HRM/Cadence. I have only just recently got the Cadence sensor. Had my first go at a Sufferfest vid last night ( Angels ). Found it quite tough but I'm beginning to realise the effort you need to put in, or have to put in, is very subjective. Have to admit that I was struggling on the hill section at level 5 resistance so lowered it to level 4 ( but leaving my gearing the same - big front cog and 7 or 8 on the cassette ). It might be me but I find it harder to pedal at 80rpm than at maybe 95 or over 100.
    Maybe the better Turbo's that link to a PC control the rider's effort better?

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    You need to structure the effort involved in the session (and training in general) to suit your physiology and to improve the various aspects of your fitness you are targeting. You will improve by "suffering" but it can be a bit scatter-gun and you may over-train and need more recovery.

The ideal way is to monitor power but that's expensive - either power-meters on the bike - or within the trainer - next best thing is the HRM (which is also helped with a cadence sensor) as that's a decent indicator of power without having to sell small children or other close relatives. And with either power or heart rate monitoring, you need to first assess either your power training zones, or your heart rate training zones.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I think a HRM has really added structure and benefit to training - not been using one for long (6 months) but it seems to make a large difference in improving training (obviously after reading up on using the HRM for training) - plus it gives you something to look at on the turbo :)
  • maryka
    Turbo is the new Tacx Blue Motion. And when I bought my Garmin 800 back in April last year I couldn't afford the HRM/Cadence. I have only just recently got the Cadence sensor. Had my first go at a Sufferfest vid last night ( Angels ). Found it quite tough but I'm beginning to realise the effort you need to put in, or have to put in, is very subjective. Have to admit that I was struggling on the hill section at level 5 resistance so lowered it to level 4 ( but leaving my gearing the same - big front cog and 7 or 8 on the cassette ). It might be me but I find it harder to pedal at 80rpm than at maybe 95 or over 100.
    Maybe the better Turbo's that link to a PC control the rider's effort better?

Join TrainerRoad for a month, do their threshold test (you specify your turbo from their list, they produce the power curve to give you real numbers) and then use those zones from the test for your training. If you always use the turbo the same way (same tire, same pressure, same turns of the knob when cranking the unit to the tire) then it can be a consistent measurement. Make a note of what speeds you produce in each training zone, then either train to those speeds or keep paying for TrainerRoad (or use something else like SportTracks or Golden Cheetah) to see the numbers live. Use Sufferfest or whatever you like, either way you need to get a feel for what each of those zones feels like in terms of effort and intensity. It takes time but remember, while you're figuring it out, it's all good training. And it's a worthwhile cause if you're keen to do structured work on the turbo -- with measurable results.
  • Thanks for the software sites. TrainerRoad needs me to have an ANT+ USB stick. Don't have one but just had a quick look and some are advertised as ANT+ and others just ANT - are they different? Need to borrow a laptop too!

• maryka
    Thanks for the software sites. TrainerRoad needs me to have an ANT+ USB stick. Don't have one but just had a quick look and some are advertised as ANT+ and others just ANT - are they different? Need to borrow a laptop too!
    Ah yes, forgot about the Ant+ stick. Has to be Ant+ I believe, not just Ant.

Tacx appears to be less forthcoming with their power curves than other manufacturers, however since Trainer Road supports your model I have to assume the numbers are out there somewhere. If you can get a hold of them, you don't need the Ant+ stick (unless you want "live" power), you can just make a spreadsheet based on the curve which will give you the various equivalent speeds to watts.