Sherwen and Liggett F E C K O F F please

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,583
edited January 2013 in Pro race
Considering the airselicking these two have given Lance over the past 15 years, the brazen defence that Ligget was giving him only weeks ago and the fact that they are still commercially linked to him I am flabbergasted that Aussie & US TV are still using them as their main commentators... Let's hope ITV4 see sense and drop them, if not because of their love for Lance but because they keep calling race incidents and tactics incorrectly.

Comments

• Didn't Liggett say that he was contracted for a couple more years yet. Don't think they will be going anywhere soon.
  • yeah, though any contract should have some sort of early termination clause, even if the other party has to stomp up compensation.

it would take either a shoot load of viewers complaining and threatening to stop watching or advertisers pulling out because they're bad for business (again, viewers complaining, or companies doing market research/soundings).
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    Liggett definately said that he would have to retire if LA was proved a cheat.

Not fashionable I know, and time to hang up their microphones, but I still have an affection for them. Mostly for the bloopers in the last few years, but (like many others) they were my introduction to the tour in the early channel 4 days.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Don't disagree with you Alan but the not so cryptic expletive in the thread title is a bit in your face. It's bordering on black knee length socks mate :wink:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Alan A wrote:
    better? ;-)

Absolutely, and a Father Ted twist is always good when we are telling someone (i.e. Liggett)who is as old as Father Jack with the intelligence of Father Dougal to Fcuk Off.

Could be an own goal for us though, I love ITV Tour coverage for the Sherwen and Liggettisms!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    but (like many others) they were my introduction to the tour in the early channel 4 days.
    Ah yes, the Mister "Right on the Line" commentator.

Question :- who commentated on cycling in the ITV Dickie Davis, "World of Sport" saturday afternoon shows. :?:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    agree. Phil and Paul should leave the commentary positions they have. They got too close. They should stop.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    God yes. I was shouting at the screen within seconds of the pre-TDU crit starting. They completely missed the attack for a good 30 seconds blathering on about god knows what. Looks like I'll be streaming Eurosport TDF commentary with the TV on mute again this year...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Deejay, twas Phil Liggett. Including maximum looking-into-the-camera-lens-wearing-a-pale-blue-sports-jacket cheese effect. I seem to remember.............look it up on youtube.

I loved them both in the mid-eighties. Since about 1992 though........meh. Since 2001.......arrrrghghghg! Since 2005....I shout at the telly constantly, muppets. Wonder what they'll substitute for constant mentions of Lance and USPS in their commentary now?
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    While I'm inclined to agree, I do love them. Sherwan seemed pretty shattered regarding LA's 'confession'.

I cannot stand Hugh Porter.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    "I can’t [retire] because of contracts that have been signed that will not let me walk away. If I had no contracts signed I’d be ready to give up the sport now. I’ll be 70 years old next year and there are still things I want to do with my life. I can’t walk away because of contracts I’ve signed until 2016. I do find it depressing at times.”

I find it depressing too Phil.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/despite ... -supporter
  • typekitty wrote:
    While I'm inclined to agree, I do love them. Sherwan seemed pretty shattered regarding LA's 'confession'.

I cannot stand Hugh Porter.
    True dat.

Their commentary has declined in latter years, but always enjoyed them compared with say HP.
    My youngsters learnt some new choice words I uttered (shouted actually) during the Porter Olympic commentary.

So who are the alternatives - who can step into their boots?
    Cav was surprisingly entertaining during the Olympics - might he pick up the Sherwin support role eventually after hanging up his boots?
    Can I upgrade???
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    http://road.cc/content/news/74348-phil- ... d-jealousy

Goldmine? Sherwen owns a gold mine?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Nick Fitt wrote:

Yes, he often digs deep into his mineshaft of metal ore.
  • typekitty
    meggiedude wrote:
    So who are the alternatives - who can step into their boots?
    Cav was surprisingly entertaining during the Olympics - might he pick up the Sherwin support role eventually after hanging up his boots?

Gary Imlach is hilarious. I'll never forget (yet not accurately remember) his dry quip about Voekler using the remaining material from Hushovd's yellow jersey to make curtains, after he started leading the race.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    typekitty wrote:

Do you have a link? Not seen any comment from Paul...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    typekitty wrote:

This is all I've seen from Sherwen.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/lance-armstrongs-mentor-paul-sherwen-has-forgiven-the-flawed-texan/story-fngr0c3c-1226556998599

Almost made me cry :roll:
  • typekitty
    ddraver wrote:
    typekitty wrote:

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/vi ... -interview
  • ddraver
    thanks Kitty! Interesting...
    - @ddraver
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    It's a wonder Mike Tomolaris never said to Sherwen you still have some brown stuff on the end of your nose. - How the hell can ITV employ these 2 jokers (still on Lance's payroll eh)...At least we have a choice now on Eurosport or Online rather than the chuckle brothers.
  • ddraver
    Can you name another TV company selling an english commentary feed?
    - @ddraver
  • typekitty
    ddraver wrote:
    Can you name another TV company selling an english commentary feed?

They are the voice of Australian TdF coverage. The Aussie guys who otherwise do it are no where near as good (and way too ocker).
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    At least eurosport show most races that are covered on UK tv.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • If Sherwen says 'Edvard Bosel Hagen' one more time...
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    It's better than Liggetts " Boysen Haaaagan"

I know some people struggle with Sean Kelly's accent and his continual use of the word 'kalkalaysion' but at least his comments have some relevance. I was thrilled when I tripped over the TdU yesterday on Sky HD...less so when I heard Laurel and Hardy commenting.

Roll on Eurosport and Dave Harmon
  • I was watching some highlights of last year's tour on You Tube today and the 2 phrases that wind me up from Sherwen and Ligget are "a very select group" and " he's a former mountain biker".

They seem to have this huge love of pointing out ex-mountain bikers - if they are so good how come the peleton isn't full of ex-mountain bikers?
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Just finished watching highlights on RAI where at least the original sound is muted and Italian commentary from Andrea de Luca and Davide Cassani sounds interesting. Don't really understand what they are saying (except for riders names) but much better than listenig to Liggett/Sherwen and I've even learned the Italian word for Welsh (Gallese if anyone's interested) :)
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Wardster00 wrote:
    I was watching some highlights of last year's tour on You Tube today and the 2 phrases that wind me up from Sherwen and Ligget are "a very select group" and " he's a former mountain biker".

They seem to have this huge love of pointing out ex-mountain bikers - if they are so good how come the peloton isn't full of ex-mountain bikers?
    Much the same with that Idiot Harmon on Eurosport.
    He was one in the very mountainous county of Essex and went on a chain gang through Epping Forest to Harlow he once boasted.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    He really is Alan Partridge