What turbo sessions ?

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
New to cycling from a running background.
fell of the bike and broke my elbow few weeks ago and are now in possession of a turbo trainer.
I am non competitive at the moment but may do a sportive 60 ish miles in mid summer,also may do a fell race or two.
At the moment i am running 4 x 1 hour runs and 2 x 1 hour on turbo . I was commuting and week end cycling around 150 - 180 per week before the accident.
My goal is to keep a good level of fitness until I can fully commit to the bike again .
What sessions can be recommended for an hour on the turbo that keep the boredom at bay ?
I dont have a HRM and go on feel mainly using the small ring and working thru the gears with a level 3 resistance on my turbo (Massi precision) i am using my giant tcx 2 with the cross tyre on so I reckon this will up the resistance ?
I am trying to avoid turning a big gear with having knee problems from running.
At present i am doing a threshold session out of Cycling weekly and tonight i will try an old running session 5 x 5 mins 1 min rest.
Any advise on how to spice things up would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Hour of power. Look it up.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman
    Or have a look through this thread. Use speed as a proxy for power. Make sure tyre pressure and roller clamp tension are the same on each session.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Herbsman wrote:
    Or have a look through this thread. Use speed as a proxy for power. Make sure tyre pressure and roller clamp tension are the same on each session.

Is there any evidence that people who do a lot of turbo training go any faster than people who don't bother?

As well as making sure tyre pressure and clamp tension is the same for each session you must also ensure air pressure and temperature and humidity are the same, and clothing are the same, the turbo is warmed up to the same extent, the fan is at exactly the same angle of attack and yaw to ensure identical cooling, your position is the same, the wheels are the same (I got consistently better results with 30 mm deep rim Campagnolo G3 rear than Mavic Open Pro), the door to the shed / garage is locked to stop her indoors walking in and asking stupid question when you are into the last 3 minutes of a possible new 20 minute record, you are watching exactly the same big fight video, (consistently better results watching Sonny Liston than Mike Tyson), the front wheel is resting on the same thickness yellow pages, etc etc, in fact you must control all variables other than what sort of pedals or shoes, they make no difference.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Herbsman wrote:

Is there any evidence that people who do a lot of turbo training go any faster than people who don't bother?

As well as making sure tyre pressure and clamp tension is the same for each session you must also ensure air pressure and temperature and humidity are the same, and clothing are the same, the turbo is warmed up to the same extent, the fan is at exactly the same angle of attack and yaw to ensure identical cooling, your position is the same, the wheels are the same (I got consistently better results with 30 mm deep rim Campagnolo G3 rear than Mavic Open Pro), the door to the shed / garage is locked to stop her indoors walking in and asking stupid question when you are into the last 3 minutes of a possible new 20 minute record, you are watching exactly the same big fight video, (consistently better results watching Sonny Liston than Mike Tyson), the front wheel is resting on the same thickness yellow pages, etc etc, in fact you must control all variables other than what sort of pedals or shoes, they make no difference.

And always make sure to talk b@llocks. oh almost forgot to mention HEART RATE AGAIN
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Is there any evidence that people who do a lot of turbo training go any faster than people who don't bother?
    There is considerable evidence that people who do a lot of training go considerably faster than people who don't bother. The turbo in your question is a red herring.
  • Trev The Rev
    There is considerable evidence that people who do a lot of training go considerably faster than people who don't bother. The turbo in your question is a red herring.

Seriously, does training on a turbo transfer well to the road?
  • Trev The Rev
    mattshrops wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

And always make sure to talk b@llocks. oh almost forgot to mention HEART RATE AGAIN

It is a fact that a Campagnolo 2007 G3 Scirocco rear wheel saves power just to spin over 32 spoke Mavic Open Pro. This is because there are fewer spokes the rims are a bit deeper. I can get 30 watts over 20 minutes if I get the clamp tension set at optimum compared to too tight. You really must get the variables nailed down if you want to track improvement accurately.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Herbsman wrote:

Is there any evidence that people who do a lot of turbo training go any faster than people who don't bother?.

You ve a point there, after not bothering to ride during bad weather, darkness or just plain laziness - i ve found my fitness drops dramatically with several 60 to 120mins tempo and threshold sessions on the trainer, where as if i sit in front the telly with a good red and some cheese - no drop in performance at all, in fact as i ve gained weight, ive also increased my HR at rest, which can only be good.
  • Trev The Rev
    mamba80 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:

Is there any evidence that people who do a lot of turbo training go any faster than people who don't bother?.

You ve a point there, after not bothering to ride during bad weather, darkness or just plain laziness - i ve found my fitness drops dramatically with several 60 to 120mins tempo and threshold sessions on the trainer, where as if i sit in front the telly with a good red and some cheese - no drop in performance at all, in fact as i ve gained weight, ive also increased my HR at rest, which can only be good.

You are mistaking freshness for fitness.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368

Yes. There are numerous people I ride with that almost only trained on the turbo. They are both very quick riders. In one of thems case he went from average to very good via the turbo over winter. How could it not help? You're pedalling a bike and working your cv system, it does h e differences but its pretty obvious that its transferable.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I can't see a benefit but I'm happy to keep an open mind :wink:
  • Herbsman
    Must Trev hi-jack every thread and steer it towards his own desperate need for attention?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    He's like a spoilt brat, giggling in the corner after pressing the submit button
  • Trev The Rev
    okgo wrote:

Yes. There are numerous people I ride with that almost only trained on the turbo. They are both very quick riders. In one of thems case he went from average to very good via the turbo over winter. How could it not help? You're pedalling a bike and working your cv system, it does h e differences but its pretty obvious that its transferable.

It is a long season, people that train really hard all winter often have loads of data to prove their FTP has improved but fail to set a PB on a real road all year. They go fast in the winter but come the time it really matters they have lost whatever form they think they might have gained by causing themselves pain through winter. They then race frequently and fail to improve again until they get on the turbo the following winter. Meanwhile, people who take it easy through winter hit the new season fresh and ready and improve through spring and peak for important events.

People who train hard on turbos spend half winter suffering from viruses anyway. They work their bollocks off for a few weeks then spend as much time sneezing and wheezing doing nothing, then they start trying to set 20 minute power records or some record on some internet site, only to get another virus.
  • Seriously, does training on a turbo transfer well to the road?
    Done properly, yes.
  • People who train hard on turbos spend half winter suffering from viruses anyway. They work their **** off for a few weeks then spend as much time sneezing and wheezing doing nothing, then they start trying to set 20 minute power records or some record on some internet site, only to get another virus.
    People get ill for many reasons, but doing hard work on a turbo is rarely the cause.

Normally it's because they come into contact with other sick people, or have inadequate personal hygiene to avoid picking up the bugs (simple things like hand washing before eating are very effective at reducing illness).
  • Trev The Rev
    People who train hard on turbos spend half winter suffering from viruses anyway. They work their **** off for a few weeks then spend as much time sneezing and wheezing doing nothing, then they start trying to set 20 minute power records or some record on some internet site, only to get another virus.
    People get ill for many reasons, but doing hard work on a turbo is rarely the cause.

Normally it's because they come into contact with other sick people, or have inadequate personal hygiene to avoid picking up the bugs (simple things like hand washing before eating are very effective at reducing illness).

Very hard training can lower the immune system, so overdoing it in winter when there are so many viruses about can prove costly. Training in fresh air is more healthy than training in an enclosed space where you are breathing in vast amounts of well used dirty air. Hard work on a turbo may not often be the cause but it can be a contributory factor.

The worst place to train is in a gym surrounded by virus ridden humans where you are constantly touching the equipment they have just used and breathing in their breath. Training in an area where children have been in the last 48 hours is almost certainly going to expose you to life threatening disease. Keep any training area clear of these beasts. Also avoid teachers who come into contact with children on a daily basis.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    okgo wrote:

It is a long season, people that train really hard all winter often have loads of data to prove their FTP has improved but fail to set a PB on a real road all year. They go fast in the winter but come the time it really matters they have lost whatever form they think they might have gained by causing themselves pain through winter. They then race frequently and fail to improve again until they get on the turbo the following winter. Meanwhile, people who take it easy through winter hit the new season fresh and ready and improve through spring and peak for important events.

People who train hard on turbos spend half winter suffering from viruses anyway. They work their **** off for a few weeks then spend as much time sneezing and wheezing doing nothing, then they start trying to set 20 minute power records or some record on some internet site, only to get another virus.

You obv know some dumbass people. OR your brain works like the daily mail. These "people" who do these stupid things are probably immigrants and were responsible for killing lady di, oh and dont forget 18 feet of snow is on the way.
    BTW i used to go to the toilet by feel but now i need my powermeter to tell me when to sh@t.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • People who train hard on turbos spend half winter suffering from viruses anyway. They work their **** off for a few weeks then spend as much time sneezing and wheezing doing nothing, then they start trying to set 20 minute power records or some record on some internet site, only to get another virus.

Very hard training can lower the immune system, so overdoing it in winter when there are so many viruses about can prove costly. Training in fresh air is more healthy than training in an enclosed space where you are breathing in vast amounts of well used dirty air. Hard work on a turbo may not often be the cause but it can be a contributory factor.

The worst place to train is in a gym surrounded by virus ridden humans where you are constantly touching the equipment they have just used and breathing in their breath. Training in an area where children have been in the last 48 hours is almost certainly going to expose you to life threatening disease. Keep any training area clear of these beasts. Also avoid teachers who come into contact with children on a daily basis.

At the risk of poking the retard, why do you have to train "very hard" on the turbo? Why can't you just train with an appropriate amount of hardness - "semi" hardness if you will.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i like TTR s posts - they r thought provoking and lead to discussion - would be a sad world if we all just towed the line and went yes-siri at everything we r supposed to do.

Repeated hard interval training, whether out on the road or on a turbo is linked to surpressed immune response, isnt it?
    IME Semi hardness has an increased risk of poor performance and dented pride - or i ve read :)
  • Nothing a well placed thumb can't remedy
  • Well,thanks for that !!
    Anyhow great link from herbsman as for the rest of it , way over my head.
    thanks again
    ILG
  • Trev The Rev
    mattshrops wrote:

You obv know some dumbass people. OR your brain works like the daily mail. These "people" who do these stupid things are probably immigrants and were responsible for killing lady di, oh and dont forget 18 feet of snow is on the way.
    BTW i used to go to the toilet by feel but now i need my powermeter to tell me when to sh@t.

My family are immigrants, we came over in 1066. I read the Times, The Telegraph, Shooting Times and Horse & Hound, so I find your comments offensive. The only people I know who read the Mail are new money types who had to buy their own Purdey, can't control their dogs and don't own a horse.
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Training in an area where children have been in the last 48 hours is almost certainly going to expose you to life threatening disease. Keep any training area clear of these beasts. Also avoid teachers who come into contact with children on a daily basis.

Wife = teacher.
    Kids = yes, 2 of the "beasts", aged 3 and 4.
    Bad habit = finishing off the kids' yoghurts/rice puddings/etc with their own spoons... :roll:

What chance do I have then... :lol:!? A minor miracle that I get through each year with just 2 or 3 colds!
  • Trev The Rev
    dgstewart wrote:
    Training in an area where children have been in the last 48 hours is almost certainly going to expose you to life threatening disease. Keep any training area clear of these beasts. Also avoid teachers who come into contact with children on a daily basis.

Wife = teacher.
    Kids = yes, 2 of the "beasts", aged 3 and 4.
    Bad habit = finishing off the kids' yoghurts/rice puddings/etc with their own spoons... :roll:

What chance do I have then... :lol:!? A minor miracle that I get through each year with just 2 or 3 colds!

Children should be deprived of puddings, if you must give them yoghurt it should be full fat with no added sugar or flavourings. A world War 2 diet is best for children, if you must give them pudding get the cook to make a proper suet pudding. I take it you will send them off to a proper school soon. In the mean time get the nanny to make them eat everything off the plate so you don't get tempted to eat their left overs.