GARMIN 500 heart rate monitor

spadve71
spadve71 Posts: 353
Need some help with my GARMIN 500 heart rate monitor as it has stopped working.I have no reading on the main screen but when i go in to the index there is a heart symbol at the top.I have also changed the battery but this does not solve anything.I am working away from home at the moment so have no instructions with me so any info would be welcomed as i work off heart rate zones in the gym.thanks in advance Dave

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    There's a PDF version of the manual here, if that helps at all.
  • spadve71
    lc1981 wrote:
    There's a PDF version of the manual here, if that helps at all.
    Lc1981 thanks for the help as you just saved my bacon.cheers again :D:D:D
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I have the same problem. Google suggests it's the strap which is at fault. Did you get yours working?
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    patchy wrote:
    I have the same problem. Google suggests it's the strap which is at fault. Did you get yours working?
    Mine broke within a year. I had the premium version. Tried everything to get it to work but no joy. Some people said shorting the battery contacts would reset it, but it made no difference. I ended up buying a Motorola strap it to replace it, and It has been absolutely fine. If you're looking for a lower cost alternative then Decathlon have an ANT+ HR strap for £24.99
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Assuming you have re-paired the device after changing the battery
  • spadve71
    patchy wrote:
    Patchy i got mine to work by cleaning the strap.Sweat and dirt most have built up on the receivers,gave them a clean with a damp rag and it now works fine.Hope this helps :D:D:D
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Garmin garbage

I'm a fan on the garmin stuff when it works its super but lifespan is very poor, My GSC10 lasted 10 months, the spoke magnets disapear after a few months (cracked plastic)

the HR strap was working great but 16 months in mine is dead as well, changing the battery is a pain in the arse - those screws are super tight and you need a phillips #000 to get them out

good link on the replacement strap does it pair OK ??
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    The Garmin rigid HR sensor seems much more reliable than the soft strap one.