computer for turbo

gratziani
gratziani Posts: 46
Hello to the forum ,

Thought i would jump in and ask for advice on a computer that would be ideal with a cycleops fluid 2 TT (just bought), have searched the forum and read thru about turbos , but am at loss which ones would be ideal for the back wheel and wireless

Has to be training on a turbo for me as ruptured me achilles 20th December and waiting for the ok to start exercising again from me doc at home , not sure when will be able to hit the road this year :(

thanks for your advice

Comments

• dal105
    dal105 Posts: 31
    I have a Garmin ANT+ speed/cadence sensor
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Speed-Ca ... 514&sr=8-1

and a Garmin ANT+ USB stick
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-USB-ANT- ... 622&sr=1-1

And use the Trainer Road software on my laptop
    http://www.trainerroad.com

It's excellent, and gives you targeted workouts based on a virtual power vs speed calculation for your turbo trainer.

3654186546_76b76e8851.jpg
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

For my two penneth worth - If you are confined to training on the turbo for an extended period, have you considered using TrainerRoad? This requires you to be able to set up a computer screen in front of you though. The software has a monthly fee that works out at about £6.50/month. You would then be able to train using what TrainerRoad call Virtual Power. Have a look for the TrainerRoad thread if this is of interest to you.

In terms of a cycling computer to work with this - the computer part itself isn't necessary. You need a few bits of ANT+ compatible kit though -
    1) A speed/cadence sensor such as the Garmin GSC-10
    2) A USB ANT+ dongle for your PC
    3) An ANT+ heart rate monitor (optional but useful/interesting)
    You can get all these bits from Amazon, have a look on there.

Alternatively, you can buy the whole lot as a bundle with a Garmin 500 computer (comes with all the sensors except the dongle) but this may be overkill if you have no immediate plans to go outdoors. I guess you could add the standalone Garmin 500 head unit at a later date though.

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    lol, beaten to it!
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • Thanks for your replies both

I will definitely be hitting the roads when i am able to , so would it be better for the long run to get the Garmin 500 then would be covered for indoor and outdoor in one go ?

What would i need with this , sorry for the newbie questions regarding tech as not my strongest suit ,

Thanks
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    The 500 would be fine for both indoor and outdoor provided you get the cadence sensor as well.

They'll work together when outdoors and, for indoors, you'll need an ANT+ USB dongle to plug in to the laptop/PC to get it to work with TrainerRoad (if that's what you want it to do).

If you just want to run on the turbo with speed/cadence as your guide, you won't need the ANT+ dongle.
  • Ok thanks for your help

off now to read the trainer road thread , when i get a spare 5 minutes