Power or HR on the trainer?

2»

Comments

• Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Cheers guys, I just wanted to be sure it was normal.

I guess that also confirms my question - do I get the same adaptions or benefits even though my HR is low on the first 3 intervals, I guess that as my HR reaches the correct level on the 4th interval then it would be ok, its just HR lags behind power a lot more indoors but as the power level and hr match (on the last interval) its ok.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Whats the turbo BTW?

It's an Elite Qubo with a wireless display, really nice.
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    do I get the same adaptions or benefits even though my HR is low on the first 3 intervals,

Yes you do
  • Gav888 wrote:
    having spent out on a turbo with power
    Which is?

Not all power measuring turbos are accurate or consistent. Some are (but they are expensive - at or beyond the cost of an on-bike power meter).

Edit - Just saw post above - I have no personal knowledge of the accuracy/consistency of this trainer's power data/resistance.
  • I'm not convinced that the HR & power shown on that graph is correct.

Yes, cardiac drift is normal and to be expected but both the size of the change and the overall shape of the HR line suggest to me that the actual resistance you are experiencing from the trainer is not as reported in that chart.

This does assume the HR is being measured accurately - which is a reasonable assumption as it's generally pretty reliable technology (but of course worth validating).
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I agree with Alex. Having owned an Elite turbo in the past with a power display, I would be highly suspicious of the numbers reported by any Elite turbo.
    More problems but still living....
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    I had a Tacx Flow which claimed to give power in watts. Might as well have used tarot cards. I really think something should be done about the manufacturers of machines which claim to measure power in watts but are just not accurate enough to be fit for use.

Unless you are using a real power meter which you know to be accurate and repeatable you might as well use heart rate. Even then I think you should still always use a heart rate monitor as this will soon start ringing alarm bells if the power meter is starting to give unreliable numbers or goes on the blink.

Outdoors when power can be all over the place due to terrain & conditions it is often easier to use heart rate as a guide - for longer but not short hard intervals.

At least we know that Gav888 has generated enough power to elicit a heart rate as shown in the graph so we can see the sort of effort he was making.