Lance doping confession - I want an apology from him!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I wasn't faced with my own mortality. I didn't go through the chemo or the surgery, the disfigurement, the hair loss, the nausia, the drugs etc I went through my own personal hell but I have no doubt it's a fraction of what my son, Charlie, went through.
    I completely agree that having cancer will change someone. However I firmly believe what you have gone through is worse. If you're ill there's not really a lot to do apart from staying positive and trying to get better. People used to tell me I was brave for going through it, no I wasnt. The choice is have chemo or die, there's nothing brave about it. But, as you say it's changed me. I don't think it's made me any more motivated, quite the reverse professionally. It made me realise what's important in life and where my priorities lie.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    All rather disappointing. Re the comeback - perhaps he is worried that it was less than 5 years ago.

I agree with RJSterry regarding Lance's personality and cancer. The guy is a win at all costs type. If you read Hincapie's statements this was in place before cancer and he started taking drugs then too. Re being calm - its a huge relief for him, no doubt. I don't think being calm in such circumstances is a trait of cancer survivors only, so its a bit of a stretch to 'credit' his cancer experience for his TV performance, with all due respect.

I can't help but have a horrible grudging respect for him - the sort of bloke that wins wars.
  • BigMat wrote:
    Anyone believe the denial about the comeback years?

I don't believe anything he says, except the bits that confirm what the investigations have already uncovered.

FTFY. [Pedant] Investigations don't prove anything. They gather and collate evidence. [/pedant]

Isn't the time-honoured rubric something like "I found Mr. X to be an unreliable and at times incredible witness. I treat all of his oral evidence with extreme caution, and unless it is corroborated by or consistent with independent third party evidence or documents, I reject it."
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I wasn't faced with my own mortality. I didn't go through the chemo or the surgery, the disfigurement, the hair loss, the nausia, the drugs etc I went through my own personal hell but I have no doubt it's a fraction of what my son, Charlie, went through.
    I completely agree that having cancer will change someone. However I firmly believe what you have gone through is worse. If you're ill there's not really a lot to do apart from staying positive and trying to get better. People used to tell me I was brave for going through it, no I wasnt. The choice is have chemo or die, there's nothing brave about it. But, as you say it's changed me. I don't think it's made me any more motivated, quite the reverse professionally. It made me realise what's important in life and where my priorities lie.

We didn't really have any choice either. What age (if you don't mind me asking) were you when treated? I believe (which is why I've refered to it in what I've written) that getting cancer when you're young is, mentally at least, different. You have your whole life stretching out in front of you, you believe you're invincible, and then, suddenly that all changes. You're faced with your own mortality at an age when you have hardly thought about it. You are likely rendered sterile. Life suddenly looks very very different. Not to mention the pain, misery & suffering of the treatment (a year spent visiting a Teenage Cancer Trust ward taught me a huge amount about how these kids change) that almost none of your peers have experienced. Charlie is profoundly different: utter utter determination, single-minded and hard as nails - it's not difficult to see how, with a few character "flaws" mixed in, you could end up with something not unlike LA.

Cancer in later life is something we've somehow grown to expect. My dad's been diagnosed with cancer recently - it's just nothing like the life-change, world-inverting event that Charlie's cancer is/was. We're better equipped to deal with it. He's actually more at peace with himself. It's still horrendous (I've been unlucky enough to just be surrounded by cancer in the last 3 years) but somehow not the same.

I don't want to derail this with a debate about the effects of cancer in the young. What LA did was very very wrong.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Veronese68 wrote:

We didn't really have any choice either. What age (if you don't mind me asking) were you when treated? I believe (which is why I've refered to it in what I've written) that getting cancer when you're young is, mentally at least, different. You have your whole life stretching out in front of you, you believe you're invincible, and then, suddenly that all changes. You're faced with your own mortality at an age when you have hardly thought about it. You are likely rendered sterile. Life suddenly looks very very different. Not to mention the pain, misery & suffering of the treatment (a year spent visiting a Teenage Cancer Trust ward taught me a huge amount about how these kids change) that almost none of your peers have experienced. Charlie is profoundly different: utter utter determination, single-minded and hard as nails - it's not difficult to see how, with a few character "flaws" mixed in, you could end up with something not unlike LA.

Cancer in later life is something we've somehow grown to expect. My dad's been diagnosed with cancer recently - it's just nothing like the life-change, world-inverting event that Charlie's cancer is/was. We're better equipped to deal with it. He's actually more at peace with himself. It's still horrendous (I've been unlucky enough to just be surrounded by cancer in the last 3 years) but somehow not the same.

I don't want to derail this with a debate about the effects of cancer in the young. What LA did was very very wrong.
    I think we're saying the same thing regarding LA. He wasn't an angel before the cancer and that wasn't the trigger that set him on that road, but going through something like that gives you more strength of character.
    I was 36 when I was diagnosed. I've been around kids in their late teens and people in their 80s whilst I was being treated. The older ones were generally very pragmatic and accepting of their plight. The younger ones were more upsetting for me. I just knew that I had to get through it and tried not to think of any other outcomes. difficult at times I grant you.Probably drifting too far off topic now, sorry.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Suprised DDD hasn't posted yet.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Do you feel like Lance owes you an apology?

I don’t even know how he could phrase it, if he does. “I’m sorry I was kind to you and your dying wife, then leveraged your gratitude and trust into a smokescreen for my cheating and lying.”

http://www.fatcyclist.com/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It made me realise what's important in life and where my priorities lie.

Very much this. I was diagnosed with pheochromocytoma in 2003, which made me very ill. It changed me for the better though.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Veronese68 wrote:

This ^^

My wife died just over a year ago after an eleven year battle with cancer. She wasn't ill for all of that time - she won some battles and lost others. But she was amazingly positive right up to the end. The biggest challenge she faced, she said, was telling our kids (10 and 13 at the time) that she only had weeks to live (while still looking great and after a brilliant active summer of music festivals, walking holidays, a great trip to Paris, etc) - she insisted she was the one to do that. She approached this not as a statement of fact, it was a lengthy conversation about life and what it really means. Through her long battle with cancer, like Veronese, she appreciated what is important in life - and was able to pass on much of her learning to our children. What astonishing strength.

Lance is a cancer survivor - I admire him for that and the way in which he fought back to health (I have read "It's Not About the Bike" too. That also took incredible inner strength.

Lance is also a cheat, a cheat in a sport that I love dearly. The lengths he went to, to maintain his lie went way beyond what is acceptable (if indeed anything is). The only thing he can do to come up in my estimation is to face up to his wrong doing, under oath, and let his formerly admiring public, know the full story - not reveal the (partial) story in some light weight chat on a prime time TV show.

-Spider-
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Lying is bad kids.
  • tailwindhome
    33583417.jpg
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I couldn't watch it, couldn't bring my self to do so. I heard it on LBC, the bit where Oprah asks him a direct question and Lance simply answered "Yes". I was like "Lance, NOOOOOO!!!!!"

A tear filled eye as I listened to the truth I couldn't handle.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Its a shame that stuff like this is basically make believe...it got me into cycling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPXHK7I1iQ
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sewinman wrote:
    Its a shame that stuff like this is basically make believe...it got me into cycling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXPXHK7I1iQ

They were all on "The Juice", so not make believe, level playing field and all that.
    It was so widespread back then, that why is it a surprise. That sort of stuff got me into cycling, and the rise of Robert Millar 5 or 6 years before. Think there is no question he, and virtually all riders then were at it, but I don't feel particularly cheated about it, was still riveting TV and amazing achievements.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • meanredspider
    I'm a bit conflicted by this stuff. If they are all doping (which it's pretty safe to assume they were) there is some aspect of it being a "level playing field". I accept that some people responded better to the drugs than others and that they were all cheating. But a colleague of mine has a natural Hct level at 50 (or even above) - he's a pretty amazing athlete - these guys were getting there by non-natural ways.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    I thought the level playing field/everyone was at it argument had been thoroughly debunked. Surprised that people are still parroting this stuff.

Many were doping, to different levels, and in different ways. That is not the same thing at all. What LA and others did has rendered most of the results of that period meaningless.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • meanredspider
    rjsterry wrote:
    I thought the level playing field/everyone was at it argument had been thoroughly debunked. Surprised that people are still parroting this stuff.

Many were doping, to different levels, and in different ways. That is not the same thing at all. What LA and others did has rendered most of the results of that period meaningless.

Depends what you mean. It seems they all had access to pretty much the same stuff (EPO, Transfusions, testosterone, Growth Hormone etc) so, in that sense, it was "level". Seems most of them used it too. The only aspect I can see that was different was whether it worked for them or not. As the measure (for EPO & transfusions at least) was the Hct limit of 50, at least that aspect was "level" too (like running the same fuel in your car) - the key difference would then be how well the rest of your body used it (lungs, muscles etc)
  • Sewinman
    Some people have naturally high blood levels though don't they - near 50 naturally. So they can't really do much EPO without going over that level, allowing everyone else to dope up to them. They may have got where they are through having naturally high blood values, and that advantage is removed. Then there is the when and why for of the different products, which would depend on the quality of doctor. Plus it was all done secretly...Lance may have had a superior doping schedule etc.

So many variables - it can't be described as 'level'.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not level. Has the debate not even moved beyond that basic fact yet? Depressing if not. Firstly, not everyone was cheating. So at the very least, those guys have been cheated by Lance and co. You may not have heard of the guys who tried to do it clean, which pretty much sums the whole thing up.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I couldn't watch it, couldn't bring my self to do so. I heard it on LBC, the bit where Oprah asks him a direct question and Lance simply answered "Yes". I was like "Lance, NOOOOOO!!!!!"

You can't handle the truth!!!!!

Jack-Nicholson.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Poor.
  • tailwindhome
    Update: He stated he didn’t dope since 2005. We’ve seen him working with Ferrari after this date but run with this for a minute. Because if the ban is reduced from a lifetime to eight years then 2005 + 8 = 2013. Meaning if Armstrong can assist USADA in their prosecution and convince them he’s been clean since the 2005 then he can race this summer. Big ifs but maybe this sheds light on his agenda?

http://inrng.com/2013/01/questions-afte ... more-12616
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    87941_story__armstrong%20meme%205.JPG
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Update: He stated he didn’t dope since 2005. We’ve seen him working with Ferrari after this date but run with this for a minute. Because if the ban is reduced from a lifetime to eight years then 2005 + 8 = 2013. Meaning if Armstrong can assist USADA in their prosecution and convince them he’s been clean since the 2005 then he can race this summer. Big ifs but maybe this sheds light on his agenda?

http://inrng.com/2013/01/questions-afte ... more-12616
    Also, the statute of limitations in the U.S. is 8 years so while it may still be possible to prosecute for perjury, it will be difficult. At least that's what they were saying on the radio this afternoon.
    Convenient coincidence? I doubt it.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've now watched the first interview and Lance looks very slimy. Even Mrs EKE, who knows nothing about Pro cycling and cares even less, watched about thirty seconds of it and decided that you can't believe or trust a word he says.
    iPete wrote:
    87941_story__armstrong%20meme%205.JPG
    I don't understand this. Is there any controversy over Neil (other than the Moon landing deniers) or is it just that they share a surname?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I'm a bit conflicted by this stuff. If they are all doping (which it's pretty safe to assume they were) there is some aspect of it being a "level playing field". I accept that some people responded better to the drugs than others and that they were all cheating. But a colleague of mine has a natural Hct level at 50 (or even above) - he's a pretty amazing athlete - these guys were getting there by non-natural ways.
    No. Not level (as others have said). Sure, EPO etc. was available to everyone but without being able to afford the right doctors to design the program and monitor it, then it could be ineffective or it could be fatal - as many riders found out (or didn't because they were dead).
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    BBB5kZZCIAAJUlB.jpeg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What's disgusting about Armstrong is not that he doped but how he went about it. The example of Emma O'Reilly is a case in point. If you are going to dope for your own personal wealth and glory, at least have the decency to do it in carefully and in private so you don't suck those who work for you (for a salary, and not a percentage) into your lies. Accusing someone of being an alcoholic and a prostitute and suing them when they are just telling the truth is not really pardonable.

And still he doesn't get it. After an entire career built on doped success, he still thinks all it will take is a quick, half arsed apology and he should be allowed to compete again. He's learned nothing at all.

Incidentally, he'll have started well before the cancer - in the very pro Armstrong "Lance Armstrong - the worlds greatest champion" by John Wilcockson, it seems pretty obvious that 1994-95 was the turn over point.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    I'm a bit conflicted by this stuff. If they are all doping (which it's pretty safe to assume they were) there is some aspect of it being a "level playing field". I accept that some people responded better to the drugs than others and that they were all cheating. But a colleague of mine has a natural Hct level at 50 (or even above) - he's a pretty amazing athlete - these guys were getting there by non-natural ways.
    No. Not level (as others have said). Sure, EPO etc. was available to everyone but without being able to afford the right doctors to design the program and monitor it, then it could be ineffective or it could be fatal - as many riders found out (or didn't because they were dead).

I only half accept this argument. Only half, because it's true of absolutely every aspect of competitive sport - I can't think of a sport where having more and better resources available to you isn't an advantage. And, let's not forget, it's not as if LA started from a privileged background - far from it. He needed to succeed first.

I do think that this whole saga is laced with a huge amount of hypocrisy and envy: cheats and liars that didn't cheat and lie quite as well. Again, I'm not trying to defend LA, I'm just not feeling particularly sorry for most of the other people caught up in this. The Sunday Times for instance - let's just remember who owns that paper and what other papers in the Murdoch group have done. Tyler Hamilton (as an example of a fellow rider) cheated, got caught, denied it, fought to discredit the tests, then finally came clean - he deserves our sympathy why? I feel a little, I guess, for Emma O'Reilly - though I know very little about the circumstances. It just seems that cycling was corrupt and knew it was corrupt and she must have displayed some naivety not to have realised that being so close to the athletes.

And, @Rolf F - I didn't see LA as expecting to be able to compete again after his O.W.N admission. He may believe that's the beginning of the path - and maybe he's right. I do believe some sort of Truth Commission is needed, though, because so much of the "sport" was implicated by all of this. My own opinion is that it's probably fairer to assume that everybody knew what was going on, so widespread does it seem to have been.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023

I only half accept this argument. Only half, because it's true of absolutely every aspect of competitive sport - I can't think of a sport where having more and better resources available to you isn't an advantage. And, let's not forget, it's not as if LA started from a privileged background - far from it. He needed to succeed first.

I do think that this whole saga is laced with a huge amount of hypocrisy and envy: cheats and liars that didn't cheat and lie quite as well. Again, I'm not trying to defend LA, I'm just not feeling particularly sorry for most of the other people caught up in this. The Sunday Times for instance - let's just remember who owns that paper and what other papers in the Murdoch group have done. Tyler Hamilton (as an example of a fellow rider) cheated, got caught, denied it, fought to discredit the tests, then finally came clean - he deserves our sympathy why? I feel a little, I guess, for Emma O'Reilly - though I know very little about the circumstances. It just seems that cycling was corrupt and knew it was corrupt and she must have displayed some naivety not to have realised that being so close to the athletes.

And, @Rolf F - I didn't see LA as expecting to be able to compete again after his O.W.N admission. He may believe that's the beginning of the path - and maybe he's right. I do believe some sort of Truth Commission is needed, though, because so much of the "sport" was implicated by all of this. My own opinion is that it's probably fairer to assume that everybody knew what was going on, so widespread does it seem to have been.
    Very well put.