Lance doping confession - I want an apology from him!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Lance how could you!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21024288

I got banned from this website because of him. I want an apology. Bottomline, I accept that he cheated but I'd be lying if I said that deep down there wasn't a part of me who still wants to believe that he never did and that he could have fought and proven his innocence.

I'll never buy Trek - not sure why, its my protest and I'll do it the way I see fit.

Lastly, I still don't know what good this will achieve, sure one man has been made the face of the thing. However, doping was an institutionalised practice in cycling. Apart from vilify Lance for his involvement what has cycling as a sport, what has the UCI done to distance itself or demonstrate that going forward it will take a zero tollerance stance. What has it done to show that as an organised sport it has changed. Sure, individual teams have taken action, sponsors have quit and some riders have retired but you would expect the Governing body of cycling to have lead the charge and established how the cycling landscape post Lance has changed and is different to before. We've had a deafening silence.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Why not try doing what Armstrong is doing and admitting things?

You were not banned from this website because of Lance, you were banned because of your behaviour.

:?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Don't worry about it - your naivety is endearing!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No confession has been made yet, this is just rumour from so called insiders.....

So, I'll wait until the interview. See what he actually says and if he does confess, what he does actually confess to....He may only confess to cortisone and a few amphetamines.....

The guys has everything to lose, although I am sure he would not be doing this if he was not protected from jail and bankruptcy.

What I don't want to see is David Walsh writing a 'Told you so' article. I hope that he is man enough to write about something forward thinking and evoking a spirit of moving forward to tackle the drugs in sport problems.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    spen666 wrote:

You were not banned from this website because of Lance, you were banned because of your behaviour.

+1
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    spen666 wrote:
    QFT
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gtvlusso wrote:
    No confession has been made yet, this is just rumour from so called insiders.....

So, I'll wait until the interview. See what he actually says and if he does confess, what he does actually confess to....He may only confess to cortisone and a few amphetamines.....

True enough. However, now that he has lost the titles etc, it fits in with his personality to fess up. If there is one thing he is good at it is fighting and sitting back and claiming innocence in the current circumstance doesn't achieve anything. If he owns up, he can start fighting the system and still claim it wasn't his fault.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    Rolf F wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

True enough. However, now that he has lost the titles etc, it fits in with his personality to fess up. If there is one thing he is good at it is fighting and sitting back and claiming innocence in the current circumstance doesn't achieve anything. If he owns up, he can start fighting the system and still claim it wasn't his fault.
    That makes sense actually.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    IMHO - I think he will land it on the UCI's ignorance. I.e. the Hematocrit level bullsh*t idea.....if it is below 50, you are not a doper, yeah, right!

And I think the UCI would like to wrap this around Armstrong and dangle it from his neck....let him take the fall and deflect their own failings.

I see it as a failure of the UCI's governance and a failure of a few individuals morality. The UCI went for the money that a US poster boy bought into cycling. A few individuals bent a lackluster rule, but broke expected ethical behaviours of people in their profession and ruined the public perception of a fine sport.

It's all about money, ignorance and morality.....The UCI are as complicit in Lance's story and fall from grace as they are with Tyler, George, Floyd and everyone else. We just focus on these guys as they are the headline act, we only know a few names from the UCI.

Does not excuse doping in anyway and I applaud Tyler, Floyd, George and the whole group of people that have openly admitted to doping and cleansed there souls.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    The issue to my mind isn't a confession (which will be weasel-like) if there is one, but how he actually makes amends. And by that, I don't mind to fans who feel hurt, but instead I mean to the people who hounded out of their jobs, whose lives he ruined, and to those organisations he sued. He did the lot for millions of dollars, which no doubt is hidden offshore.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    davmaggs wrote:
    The issue to my mind isn't a confession (which will be weasel-like) if there is one, but how he actually makes amends. And by that, I don't mind to fans who feel hurt, but instead I mean to the people who hounded out of their jobs, whose lives he ruined, and to those organisations he sued. He did the lot for millions of dollars, which no doubt is hidden offshore.

Well said that man.

Sadly in the world of hero worship and the cult of celebrity everyone will say well done for confessing now we'll forget it all ever happened
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    From the 25th August:-
    daviesee wrote:
    Monty has raised a good point.
    Where have the UCI been for the past 24 hours?
    Conveniently ducking their heads in the sand.
    If they don't publicly support the USADA, either UCI or USADA will be discredited, you would think.

Their continued silence is making the UCI look fairly complicit right about now.
    Cycling needs a strong UCI, and it needs it now. Heads should roll.

For Lance to come out of this with any credibility, he would need to right an awful lot of wrongs he has done to people in the past. I can't see it happening. He dug the hole too deep.
    A white wash PR stunt on Thursday night/Friday morning is all I expect.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Talking to the wife about the Oprah show, and to be fair to paraphrase the great philosophers Slayer - I don't want to hear it, he's full of sh1t.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    daviesee wrote:
    From the 25th August:-
    daviesee wrote:
    Monty has raised a good point.
    Where have the UCI been for the past 24 hours?
    Conveniently ducking their heads in the sand.
    If they don't publicly support the USADA, either UCI or USADA will be discredited, you would think.

Their continued silence is making the UCI look fairly complicit right about now.
    Cycling needs a strong UCI, and it needs it now. Heads should roll.

Did you miss the bit were they ratified the USADA decision, wiped Armstrong from the record books, and set up the comission to investigate themselves.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    spen666 wrote:

This

You were being a c0ck.

Still don't have the balls to discuss these things in Pro Race then?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD

You were being a c0ck.

I have posted in pro race from time to time. A few agreed with my cavendish assessment.

Oh and:

You were being a c0ck.
    Your. Mum.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You were being a c0ck.

I have posted in pro race from time to time. A few agreed with my cavendish assessment.

Oh and:

You were being a c0ck.
    Your. Mum.

Aye yer Ma!

LOL
  • gtvlusso
    http://news.sky.com/story/1038106/lance ... -satisfied

So, not quite a tell all then? Intrigued
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i bought some park tools tyre levers on sunday as the other option was bontrager. Twice the price but not bontrager felt like a deal to me
  • daviesee
    Did you miss the bit were they ratified the USADA decision, wiped Armstrong from the record books, and set up the comission to investigate themselves.
    Yes. I did miss that bit. :oops: I hold my hands up to an error and hope that they will do the same.
    I am more concerned about what they are doing about current racing and the future than simply Lance bashing.
    Their findings into their behaviour may be interesting. May. #cynic.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Anyone know if this interview is going to be shown on t'tellybox over here?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tailwindhome
    Agent57 wrote:

Sky 501 - Discovery Channel ( I know!) Friday 2am

also on Oprah Winfrey's website
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Cool, thanks. And yes, the channel is rather ironic. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Agent57 wrote:

I thought Discovery was 520 (or am I a HD junkie?)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    Agent57 wrote:

I thought Discovery was 520 (or am I a HD junkie?)

apologies - 520

preceded by the awesome sounding "Die Hard 4.0: The True Story"
  • tailwindhome
    edited January 2013
    Lance Armstrong confessed to Oprah Winfrey that he started using performance-enhancing drugs to gain an edge in cycling in the mid-1990s, before he was diagnosed with cancer, a person familiar with the interview told USA TODAY Sports.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cy ... f8616466=1

So much for DDDs cancer drugs theory!
  • daviesee
    Agent57 wrote:
    Cool, thanks. And yes, the channel is rather ironic. :D
    I had the same thought. Commence conspiracy theories...... :wink:
  • paolo73
    paolo73 Posts: 27
    LA was essentially selected by the powers-that-be to reinvent the sport's image after the Festina affair. a rider untainted by '98 and with the cancer story and the white teeth to boot, they told him to go out and win and not worry how he did it because he would be protected, which he was.... and everyone got rich off the lie, which at the time was an unbridled success.
    There were lots of hands in this mess, and it'll be interesting to see who he drags down with him, there are some surprises in store for sure.
    The most interesting thing for me is the truth behind the Cofidis doctors "failing to spot" the elevated levels of testosterone which suggested he had cancer. Did they miss it? Or did they mistake it for signs of doping that they expected to find and cover it up? Either way it could be that doping almost cost him his life, which makes his subsequent reckless behaviour even more baffling.......
  • I don't know how long the program is, but he needs to spend at least a couple of hours just apologising to the people who he has bullied, cheated, defrauded and basically f*cked over in the course of his career. Then we can get to the confessions.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pfft. Bullies apologising. Who here has a) been bullied and if so b) cared if they apologised or not?

What's done is done.

I'm just looking forward to the inevitable youtube video that splices every denial he made on TV in amongst his confession

I'll also enjoy mocking a few die hard fans I know who are still holding out.

That's about it.

Ok. Maybe I am curious to see if he can Houdini out of blanket public disapproval.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm quite curious as to what the "interview" actually involved:
    At the end of it... we both were pretty exhausted. And I would say I was satisfied

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21024288
    Misguided Idealist