The Non-Boardman-CX owners thread.

124»

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Cheers - that looks good (can't actually access the youTube content from work but I will do so once I'm home)
    Any recommendations on pads as I'd like to have a set available anyway.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    andyrr wrote:
    Cheers - that looks good (can't actually access the youTube content from work but I will do so once I'm home)
    Any recommendations on pads as I'd like to have a set available anyway.

Superstars pads are as good as anyone and typically half the price with lightning delivery. If you don't see BB7 listed, Avid Juicy are the same thing (seemingly)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andyrr
    These are Tekro Lyras not Avids (tho' I may go to BB7s if at some point the original calipers are deemed not up to scratch.)
    Can't see a Superstar option - ok scratch that - looking at the Superstar Pad Identifier list it seems they go for the same pads as the IOX, the T2
    But, a set of 4 pads = £18 whislt I can get a BB7 setup for the front for < £50 ... decisions ..
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What cables do you use for the BB5/7's?

I assume that any brake cable for raod STI's will do?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    rubertoe wrote:
    What cables do you use for the BB5/7's?

I assume that any brake cable for raod STI's will do?

Yup
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andyrr
    Well, I'd checked the pads on the front (noisy) caliper and they looked ok, still fair bit of material left as I would hope after only around 3 weeks use !
    I had also started getting a sort of Clunk feeling/noise occasionally on first applying the front brake - not every time and kind of similar to a worn/loose headset or worn wheel bearing but definately felt like there was some movement on the pad/rotor.
    Scouted around for organic pads and ordered a set of Clarks ones from CRC, that along with a new chain for spares.

Pads did not come with the little metal spring but the old ones popped out nice and easy with the spring and 2 minutes later, with the retaining pin getting a little bit of Coppaslip, the new pads were in.
    Seem fine, noise again back to as the original pads were when new,like a noisy hiss of metal-metal contact.
    Old pads were reasonably scored so I'll see how these new ones fare - were only £4.99 at CRC
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Looking at a raleigh rx 2.0

http://www.rei.com/product/848613/ralei ... -bike-2013

Limited to range of bikes from raleigh. Basically raleigh, diamondback or trek.

Finding difficult to find reviews online. Any ideas?
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • andyrr
    The Raleigh looks decent spec - don't think I've seen any reviews myself of that, also just had a look for opinions on the Trek - the Crossrip ? - as that's one of your options (?) and see nothing much too. Not sure why, I saw one in store and although very understated grey paint the spec looked ok.
  • stu-bim
    Thanks
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • andyrr
    The Jamis is still running well - hoping to get the front CX tyre off soon and fit something that rolls a bit better, probably a 25 or 28mm Conti of some form that I've sitting around - just waiting for the risk of snow to totally disappear as we've had another dollop of the stuff today.
    Issues : brakes still a bit noisy, front has non-original organic replacement pads, rear still on the factory ones. Stops fine but getting some clicking noises just from the wheel rotating and occasionally noisy when braking, nothing major though.
    Annoying that at the headtube at one side a clear paint-protection patch was fitted but the other, RHS, has none and a cable has rubbed through the paint.

Checked the BB for play today and noticed that it has already developed sufficient to feel by trying to wobble the crank-ends.
    So, around 5 weeks or so, maybe 5 - 600 miles and the BB is worn - claim for a replacement ? If I need to do this myself (and I'll do it in the future) I'm not sure of the correct tool as I've always run Shimano BBs to now - this is an FSA Tempo crankset with FSA BB : this ?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fsa ... l-ec006180
  • rubertoe
    andyrr wrote:
    The Jamis is still running well - hoping to get the front CX tyre off soon and fit something that rolls a bit better, probably a 25 or 28mm Conti of some form that I've sitting around - just waiting for the risk of snow to totally disappear as we've had another dollop of the stuff today.
    Issues : brakes still a bit noisy, front has non-original organic replacement pads, rear still on the factory ones. Stops fine but getting some clicking noises just from the wheel rotating and occasionally noisy when braking, nothing major though.
    Annoying that at the headtube at one side a clear paint-protection patch was fitted but the other, RHS, has none and a cable has rubbed through the paint.

Checked the BB for play today and noticed that it has already developed sufficient to feel by trying to wobble the crank-ends.
    So, around 5 weeks or so, maybe 5 - 600 miles and the BB is worn - claim for a replacement ? If I need to do this myself (and I'll do it in the future) I'm not sure of the correct tool as I've always run Shimano BBs to now - this is an FSA Tempo crankset with FSA BB : this ?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fsa ... l-ec006180

What BB is it? ie - what does it say on it? If its a Mega-Exo BB use a Hollowtech II tool
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• andyrr
    I've not removed it - I only just noticed the play and firstly I think I'll ask Evans about this re warranty and secondly all that the Evans spec lists it as is an FSA sealed BB.
    Handily, checking the Jamis website chucks an error when clicking on any of their bikes so I can't check to see if they actually list a specific model of BB.
  • andyrr
    The FSA BBs - I've always had Shimano BBs in the past and generally get years, not months out of these.
    a) Are the FSA ones like this crap ?
    b) Tools to remove replace : std crank remover with FSA-specific tool just for the BB ?
    c) Do the FSA Tempo cranks require an FSA BB or could I fit a Shinano one - I've had a look on the FSA website but don't see details of the Tempo listed ?
    d) Is there a relatively cheap but longer lasting BB than the one that will be fitted to my bike ?

Ok, I've had a search around and it appears to be a std square taper fitting so once the old one is out I'd be better off with a UN55, costs around £18
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim wrote:
    Looking at a raleigh rx 2.0

http://www.rei.com/product/848613/ralei ... -bike-2013

Limited to range of bikes from raleigh. Basically raleigh, diamondback or trek.

Finding difficult to find reviews online. Any ideas?

Bike finally turned up. Will get out tomorrow morning for first ride. It has nobbley tyres on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vittoria-Cross-XG-Pro-Tyre/dp/B003LDIVAY

Was wondering if there is any rush to get them changed to slicks or see how they go. Will only be using for commuting, around 20 mile RT.

Based on board gatorskins seem to be really good but cannot get gatorskins locally so wondering whether to stay with current or go slicks and get gatorskins in a few months. Or am I just over thinking it?
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    stu-bim wrote:
    Bike finally turned up. Will get out tomorrow morning for first ride. It has nobbley tyres on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vittoria-Cross-XG-Pro-Tyre/dp/B003LDIVAY

Was wondering if there is any rush to get them changed to slicks or see how they go. Will only be using for commuting, around 20 mile RT.

Based on board gatorskins seem to be really good but cannot get gatorskins locally so wondering whether to stay with current or go slicks and get gatorskins in a few months. Or am I just over thinking it?

The XG Pro is a pretty good Cross clincher; pump them up hard for road riding (as opposed to off road - I race with these at 30psi). They'll be ok on the road, but bit of a waste tbh, and you'll probably wear them out quite fast. I'd keep them for off-road, and get slicks for commuting.

Plenty of road tyre reviews on this forum, but the general opinion (and mine) of Gatorskins is that they won't puncture very often, but don't expect a lot of grip in the wet. Conti 4 Seasons are a good option for year-round commuting.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    I had gatorskins on my Kona Jake and hadn't found grip to be a problem in the wet. Braking with cantis was rather more of an issue. Riding home on my lovely new Kinesis with BB7 discs I managed to lock up twice. Amazing how quickly I found the limits of grip with some decent brakes.
    As a disc brake CX bike I must say I'm very pleased with the Kinesis. It's very light and feels lively to ride. I was going to put a rack and guards on it, but I can't bring myself to do it yet.
  • stu-bim
    I guess I was not over thinking it, came off this morning, ar$e over tit. No damage to the bike as I was stopping as it happened, so only pride and a sore elbow and knee.

Going to call LBS for some recommendations, the roads here are a bit funny here when it rains, special tarmac that is tougher for the hot sun but slick as hell when wet, and it was pelting down also. Front wheel had slipped three times before I went.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Considering buying a Genesis Croix de Fer frameset and building it up for long rides over the summer where some luggage is required, such as London-Edinburgh-London*. I would be using mostly components from my Dolan, so I think all I would need to buy is the frameset, the wheels, and some BB7's.

Am I correct or are there some extras I haven't thought of?

Any guidance on a decent disc wheelset for under £200?

*The other option is to stick with the Dolan and just go as minimalist as possible, which is quite appealing too.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rubertoe
    You dont need anything else other than Wheels and Disc Brakes and rotor's

There arent a great deal of wheels out there for 700cc with disc hubs so your looking at a build.

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    rubertoe wrote:

There arent a great deal of wheels out there for 700cc with disc hubs so your looking at a build.
    There are a few.

Make sure you get the rear dropout spacing right. Road bikes are generally 130mm and MTBs 135mm; CX bikes come in both flavours.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    TGOTB wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

There are a few.

Make sure you get the rear dropout spacing right. Road bikes are generally 130mm and MTBs 135mm; CX bikes come in both flavours.

They are certainly becoming more redily available - generally disguised as 29ers :wink:

• stu-bim
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTg4GZXQjXw&feature=youtu.be

Slippery Barbados roads. Falling starts from around 16:45. I guess it is not just me who has trouble in the rain.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • veronese68
    I got my wheels built by Ugo Santalucia and they are very nice. Novatec hubs and Open Pro rims, they work out a bit more expensive than your £200, but they are lovely. The hubs have to be ordered from China and take about 3 weeks to arrive. Worth sending him a PM as he's only in Richmond.
    I had a go on the Croix de Fer and it's a really nice ride, Ugo has one and uses the same wheels as I recall.
    I believe a lot of the 29er wheels tend to be a bit heavier and have rims that are a bit wide for some road rubber.
  • pangolin
    Cheers guys, have messaged Ugo. Veronese, what made you choose the Kinesis over the Genesis in the end? Would you make the same decision if it was just the frameset you were buying?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    pangolin wrote:
    Cheers guys, have messaged Ugo. Veronese, what made you choose the Kinesis over the Genesis in the end? Would you make the same decision if it was just the frameset you were buying?

If I remember it was just the frameset he bought.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    That would explain why he got wheels made...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    pangolin wrote:
    It just felt a bit more special. I did get the frameset only as I wanted BB7s so built my own up, careful shopping means it was cheaper then a built up bike. You're more than welcome to pop round and have a play. Let me know and I'll pm you my details.
  • pangolin
    Thanks for the offer, the extra £100 is probably too far over budget though so don't want to ride it and find I really like it!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    I completely understand that. Should I mention I got frameset and brakes using ride to work? Is that an option for you?
  • pangolin
    Not really. Work do a C2W scheme, but you have to use halfords, and you have to pay it off over 3 years. Then keep it for another 3 years after that before its 'yours'.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono