The Non-Boardman-CX owners thread.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    That is pretty good.

Just a quick question before I speak to the CFO.

Are these compatible with Shimano? (Avid are made by SRAM IIRC)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    the current TRP hybrid doesn't interest me - the new one will interest those who don't want to make the full leap
    Interesting - why don't you like them? Personally I think it is a good idea, particularly as it solves the packaging issues of cable discs and making the best of a disc solution.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Roastie wrote:
    the current TRP hybrid doesn't interest me - the new one will interest those who don't want to make the full leap
    Interesting - why don't you like them? Personally I think it is a good idea, particularly as it solves the packaging issues of cable discs and making the best of a disc solution.

Just because it's a half-way house and, as such, a compromise (and a pretty expensive one) (I'm talking about the TRP Parabox). The fluid-filled calipers are a nice idea but, if there's a part of the system I like least it's the cables. Hopefully, Shimano or Formula will bring out their hydraulic STI shifter this year. That's the step I'm waiting for.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hmmm... I'm confused about needing rotors now, and I could swear mine are only 140mm. I guess the mounting points for the calipers define how big the rotors can be.

<edit> tell a lie: front 160mm, rear 140mm

Now where does that leave me?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    Hmmm... I'm confused about needing rotors now, and I could swear mine are only 140mm. I guess the mounting points for the calipers define how big the rotors can be.

<edit> tell a lie: front 160mm, rear 140mm

Now where does that leave me?

Are you OK now? Just get 160 rotors for the front and 140 for the rear..... :?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Well - do I actually *need* new rotors or just the BB7 brakes themselves...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider

Just the brakes I believe - I think (99% certain) that the rotors are identical. Easy to check by looking at the compatibility of Avid rotors alone.
  • rubertoe

Just the brakes I believe - I think (99% certain) that the rotors are identical. Easy to check by looking at the compatibility of Avid rotors alone.

Having centre locks rotors, I think I will only need the Calipers. But if they wanna chuck in some rotors I can bung them on the spare disc wheels I have lying around and stick on some CX tyres for a bit of rougher stuff.

Other question re Shimano/ Avid compatbility still to be answered?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    rubertoe wrote:
    Other question re Shimano/ Avid compatbility still to be answered?
    I'm sure it's not an issue. Many of the bikes I'm looking at have Shimano gears and shifters with Avid BB5s or 7s.
  • meanredspider
    Well I've used BB7 Roads with 105 & Ultegra STIs

I've also used BB5 & BB7 with SRAM Apex
  • rubertoe
    Well I've used BB7 Roads with 105 & Ultegra STIs

I've also used BB5 & BB7 with SRAM Apex

105s it is then.

• Picked this up at the weekend, need to source some cheap wheels & a campag rear mech then it should be good to go! Just in time for the grim weather out, will be handy for my commute as was slipping a bit in places today. Really impressed with how light the frame is (compared to my Steel Reynolds Equilibrium frame).

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12898546&p=18072028&hilit=crosslight#p18072028

Any recommendations on cheap (campag) wheels or if you spot any on the classifieds please give me a shout!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Roastie
    Roastie wrote:

Just because it's a half-way house and, as such, a compromise (and a pretty expensive one) (I'm talking about the TRP Parabox). The fluid-filled calipers are a nice idea but, if there's a part of the system I like least it's the cables. Hopefully, Shimano or Formula will bring out their hydraulic STI shifter this year. That's the step I'm waiting for.
    Ah, ok. I'm in two minds about the Parabox, in some ways it seems like a perfect solution, but it does have a Heath Robinson aspect too. I'd like to try them out sometime. But I quite like the "hybrid" caliper. A full hydraulic system would be ace, but I suspect the brifters will be very pricey (in the early days at least, until 105/Ultegra level kit is available).

Btw, I had these "hybrid" calipers in mind: TRP HY/RD
  • meanredspider
    Roastie wrote:

Yes - that's the "new" one I referred to. It's a good idea I think but I'd really like to get rid of the cables.

I suspect (hope) that the first brifters will be Di2 (the Formula ones are) as it makes shifting very simple and totally separate from braking. It would be nice to have a cable-free bike. Maintenance would mostly be limited to giving it a wash once in a while
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ok,

What is the best deal anyone has seen on mechanical BB7's? preferably with rotors.

fibica do them for £59 a set, complete with rotors.
  • rubertoe
    Ouija wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ok,

What is the best deal anyone has seen on mechanical BB7's? preferably with rotors.

That is even Cheaper, anyone ever used Fibica?

• veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ok,

I've never used them. I just had a quick look and that is for a set of mountain bike BB7s. What's the difference? Is it to do with the amount of cable pull?
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've never used them. I just had a quick look and that is for a set of mountain bike BB7s. What's the difference? Is it to do with the amount of cable pull?

Yup - the gubbins related to the actuating mechanism is different (seemingly - different part numbers/descriptions on SRAM site)

Funnily enough, I didn't know this when I ordered the one for my Boardman and, frankly, I have no idea if it was "Road" or not. What I do know is that it worked fine. Actually, thinking about it, I still have the box at home (the old BB5 is in there) so I can check.
  • Roastie
    Roastie wrote:

Yes - that's the "new" one I referred to. It's a good idea I think but I'd really like to get rid of the cables.

I suspect (hope) that the first brifters will be Di2 (the Formula ones are) as it makes shifting very simple and totally separate from braking. It would be nice to have a cable-free bike. Maintenance would mostly be limited to giving it a wash once in a while
    I hear you. But I suspect it will be a while until Di2 trickles down to the price point I consider to be reasonable. :(
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Ok,

Yeah. I just used them before christmas for the BB7's (destroyed one of the road ones on my hybrid, but my levers can be switched to V-brake cable pull), took about two weeks for delivery. Also bought some forks off them last year (Epicons) with a similar delivery time and quite good communication too.

I'm sure if you wait long enough they might get some road versions in. Though you can use the MTB version with canti levers. You just need to set the clamping pad closer to the rotor (so it has less distance to travel before making contact). Some people even claim this gives better modulation than the road specific versions (couldn't say myself).
  • veronese68
    Ouija wrote:
    Though you can use the MTB version with canti levers. You just need to set the clamping pad closer to the rotor (so it has less distance to travel before making contact). Some people even claim this gives better modulation than the road specific versions (couldn't say myself).
    I was thinking that would be the case. If MRS does have the MTB version that would make them even more fiddly to set up and he's the one that claims it's easy. So MRS is a magician or a witch and we should burn him. That or years of working on Alfas has made him into the genius fettler he has now become.
  • meanredspider
    I definitely don't have the MTB version on the Volagi. But what you say about 25 years + of Alfa ownership is true - and probably confirms me as a witch too :wink: Match anyone?
  • veronese68
    I definitely don't have the MTB version on the Volagi. But what you say about 25 years + of Alfa ownership is true - and probably confirms me as a witch too :wink: Match anyone?
    Sorry should have said I wonder if you did have the MTB version.
    I'm just grumpy about the Alfa as I had to sell the 156. Stupidly I sold it to a customer and he keeps raving about what a great car it is.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Sorry should have said I wonder if you did have the MTB version.
    I'm just grumpy about the Alfa as I had to sell the 156. Stupidly I sold it to a customer and he keeps raving about what a great car it is.

The BB7 ended up on the Boardman - it worked great and I suspect (as I didn't know there was a difference at the time) that it's the MTB version.

D'oh - that can't be great having your face rubbed in it. If it's any consolation, my 156 2.4 JTD Wagon used to know precisely when bonus time was - my bonus went straight from my employer to the local Alfa dealer for repairs each year :roll: I have a MiTo now (as well as the Giulia Coupe obviously) and I don't like it too much
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    pangolin wrote:
    I really want to get a new Genesis Croix de Fer. Anyone here own one?
    Me..
    :D
    Since December

Really smooth, not sure whether it is the frame or the 35m tyres. They feel pretty grippy in the mud too.
  • veronese68
    jimmypippa wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    Me..
    Since December

Really smooth, not sure whether it is the frame or the 35m tyres. They feel pretty grippy in the mud too.
    I love that picture you posted of it the other day. Does it feel at all heavy?
  • rubertoe
    I'm taking the stealth approach for my next commuter CX, Gonna go for a PX Kaffenback I think and assemble it from scratch. Got a 105 BB in the box at home and have my eye on a couple of 105 Shifters on the flea bay. I'll get all the parts and then the frame and surprise the EPO that way...

In the mean time i will have to get rid of the Carerra.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Veronese68 wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    Me..
    Since December

Oooh, where is this picture?

<edit> found it, very nice!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    Me..
    Since December

A neighbour and fellow Strava-ist has a CdF. He thinks it's heavy. On a road bike he's at least as quick as me (more so up hills - he's a fair bit lighter) yet, at this time of year when he's on his CdF with Marathon Winters and I'm on my Cube Reaction Race MTB with Ice Spiker Pros, I'm putting in times for pretty much exactly the same commute around 2mph faster. I think you can offset some of that by the relative weights (a 14kg bike for me won't be as relatively heavy as a 14kg bike to him) but it doesn't explain it completely.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Veronese68 wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    Me..
    Since December

A neighbour and fellow Strava-ist has a CdF. He thinks it's heavy. On a road bike he's at least as quick as me (more so up hills - he's a fair bit lighter) yet, at this time of year when he's on his CdF with Marathon Winters and I'm on my Cube Reaction Race MTB with Ice Spiker Pros, I'm putting in times for pretty much exactly the same commute around 2mph faster. I think you can offset some of that by the relative weights (a 14kg bike for me won't be as relatively heavy as a 14kg bike to him) but it doesn't explain it completely.

Hmmm interesting. Although I am finding Marathon Winters are a pig. Are Ice Spikers any better? KB said they were the same tyre I thought?!

What cross bike would you get for 1k at the moment MRS? Something with BB7's...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono