Going back to flats after clipless?

2»

Comments

• Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Bustacapp wrote:
    I wonder how many pros use flats and toeclips?

I'd be willing to wager a large amount of money that it is less than 1.

There is a reason for using clipless but you obviously don't seem to understand that.

I wonder how many pros are posting in this thread.

I reckon it is less than 1.

There is a reason 'pro's' use clipless but they also shave their b0llock hair to save weight.

What's the reason pro's use clipless pedals then?

I use them for security on my mtb and make sure my feet are always in the same position on the pedal on the road bike, as me knees are sensitive to changes in position.
  • 'Pros (don't) use ...' is unfortunately not very useful; they use what they are given.

The exceptions to that could be taken as positive endorsements for the alternative products (eg. Wiggins prefers Speedplays to Shimano; Cipollini used practically none of the sponsor kit when he was with Rock Racing), but - in the former case particularly - this is still highly available equipment; just an alternative choice. Clips and straps and cycling shoes with fitments for old-style cleats aren't made on the scale that they once were, so I think Wiggins would have a hard time persuading Sky to let him use them if he wanted to.

What is worth noting is that clipless pedals were invented some years before they became standard equipment; many, many riders continued with clips and straps right up to the end of the '80s, and even after that track riders continued using them. To this day there are powerful road cyclists that prefer them for the same reason; they are difficult to pull out of. I use SPDs on my main bike now, but I still have my old steel Christophe clips and leather Chossy straps and I put many happy miles into them. They are simple and effective. At some point they'll go back on a bike...
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Strith wrote:

I use them for security on my mtb and make sure my feet are always in the same position on the pedal on the road bike, as me knees are sensitive to changes in position.
    Despite what Simon correctly says above (ie they use what they are given) I believe the reason they use clipless pedals (which aren't really materially different from using toeclips just easier to use) is exactly this. I like clipless for security and ensuring my feet stay in the same position all the time. I could achieve the same thing with toeclips but I don't want to have to reach down to unclip (I'd probably fall off).

Bustacapp says his feet don't move around on the pedal and I have no reason to doubt him. However, mine did before I used clipless pedals and I had to make a conscious effort to keep repositioning my foot. I found it really annoying so now I have SPD-SLs and some Shimano road shoes and I'm very happy with them. The fact that I like them doesn't mean anyone should but I'm sticking with them.
  • lotus49 wrote:
    Strith wrote:

Despite what Simon correctly says above (ie they use what they are given) I believe the reason they use clipless pedals (which aren't really materially different from using toeclips just easier to use) is exactly this. I like clipless for security and ensuring my feet stay in the same position all the time. I could achieve the same thing with toeclips but I don't want to have to reach down to unclip (I'd probably fall off).

Bustacapp says his feet don't move around on the pedal and I have no reason to doubt him. However, mine did before I used clipless pedals and I had to make a conscious effort to keep repositioning my foot. I found it really annoying so now I have SPD-SLs and some Shimano road shoes and I'm very happy with them. The fact that I like them doesn't mean anyone should but I'm sticking with them.

Reaching down for your straps becomes second nature before long; certainly I think it helped my balance and confidence no end... ;)

But I very much agree. I find that (rightly or wrongly) I seem to pull up a little when out of the saddle, but I think confidence is the main benefit; that and improved cornering clearance. If your foot does slip, the consequences could be very unpleasant on a bike with close clearances!