New bike, head or heart?

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,767
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
So I've got a pass to get myself a new bike on Cyclescheme so limited to £1k. I want drop bars and disc brakes. Should I buy the bike that makes the most sense or something that floats my boat?
One of these would be ideal. Good spec for the money, suits my purposes. I quite like some of the details like the way the rear caliper is mounted. But...
...this just does it for me more. Or do I spunk the money on a Kinesis frame, wheels and some brakes then swap the rest over from my Kona?
If I ever make a decision this thread must be forgotten and under no circumstance will anybody be allowed to have any good ideas after that point.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Heart: that Pinnacle is just a bit... well, agricultural. Aesthetics matter, and that Cotic is (remarkably for a cross bike) quite a looker.

Talking of which I saw someone on a Cannondale Super X, and the forks... good grief, I've heard of mud clearance, but that was ridiculous. You could have fitted 3" knobblies and guards.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • This is a bit like being asked to tell you which one of your sisters you should marry.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    The Cotic is pretty nice. You could look at the On One dirty disco, pretty much the ultimate cross bike for £1500 or they do a frame and wheels pack for £999 which is a steel, might be overkill if you don't race cross though.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXO ... ame_bundle

But yeah definitely heart before head. I love the look of the Van Dessel frames but they are pricey and hard to source.

If it's not for racing and sticking to your budget (just) I'd go for the Genesis Croix de Fer. Beautiful bike that ticks all the boxes.

http://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m1b69s ... RS_GB/9626

EDIT: and why am I up at 6.20am? Because my 6yr old just puked everywhere... nice
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I nearly bought the Kinesis, but bought the 5T instead. More than welcome to have a look at it if you want. Still only frame and fork only atm, mind.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I bought the Kinesis and had it built up with bb7's, Alfine 11 hub gears and a dynamo front light. I had a pompetamine frame before. Its a lovely ride, Lighter than the pomp,stable without feeling at all dull and reasonably spritely pulling away from lights. Strangely smoother than the pomp even though the Kinesis is an aluminium frame. I have the red which really is closer to brown but guy in my lbs has the white frame and it looks even better-especially when clean! Takes guards, rack etc.
  • I have had the Pinnacle Arkose (model before that one) for about 18 months now. It's a great bike, well specced and has guards fitted for commuting duties. It even has the original tyres on it, so I really shouldn't complain. But....I'm thinking of something else. I really want a Pompetamine (and always have, really). I 'm considering selling the Pinnacle and my Spesh Hardrock to fund the purchase (n-1, I know)

For me, the Arkose was definitely a head purchase. Should have gone with my heart in the first place!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bobinski
    BelgianBeerGeek,
    I have the Pompetamine frame still, medium in white with a 90mm white stem. Will be putting it in the classifieds at some point but if you are interested let me know. The medium was too small for me and i am only 5 ft 9 with shortish legs so be careful with sizing.
  • I think I'd always just buy a frame and fork and then build up what I wanted. Always go with the heart on these matters, especially if there's an option that perfectly satisfies the head as well. Is there any way that the boring Pinnacle is more practical? Not really.

Personally I'd go for the Croix de Fer frame set (if I really, really had to have disks) a mate at work just got one, it's surprisingly light and looks ace. Then I'd build up some lightweight-ish wheels to go with it.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    Heart, always go with the heart. No bike is perfect, so if you get one you don't really like to begin with, those imperfections will bug you all the more.

One word of warning, if this is a bike to work scheme, you can only get a complete bike, not frame and fork.
  • Another vote for heart, The Cotic and Kinesis Bikes, both are easier on the eye, in somewhat different ways. The Pinnacle isn't a bad looking bike, though doesn't seem to be the bike you want?

look forward to bumping into you and new bike at some point!
  • One word of warning, if this is a bike to work scheme, you can only get a complete bike, not frame and fork.

Some shops are more relaxed about what constitutes a complete bike than others. I would imagine that selling a frame, forks and the build-up would be fine for many.
  • bobinski wrote:
    BelgianBeerGeek,
    I have the Pompetamine frame still, medium in white with a 90mm white stem. Will be putting it in the classifieds at some point but if you are interested let me know. The medium was too small for me and i am only 5 ft 9 with shortish legs so be careful with sizing.
    I'm 6" so it sounds a bit small for me. The On-one sizing guide suggests a large frame. Thank you anyway.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yes, the Pinnacle ticks the boxes. My god it's dull though.

Go with your heart. You want something you want after all...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    You're all quite correct. Well it was kind of what I was hoping you'd all say.
    I saw someone else test riding the Pinnacle today. I was on my way home, just up the road from Evans and I waited to let a cyclist through a gap. I cast an eye over as it went by and it just didn't look anything special.
    I'm going to go to the London Bike show at the weekend and see what else is on offer too.
    CJ, I'd love to cast an eye over your Kinesis. I'll be in touch.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Another heart vote, you'll always want the one you wanted, you just end up spending more money getting there, bit like women.

Although, I do like the pinnacle, I think it looks pretty badass
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • veronese68
    Right, so I had a go on the Pinnacle and a Genesis Croix de Fer. The Pinnacle is lighter and has 105 rather than Tiagra. But the Genesis felt livelier to ride, it also felt faster. Although I don't know that it actually was.
    But...
    PRO6_Bike_Green_2013.jpg
  • bobinski
    I would...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Do it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • my speccy secteur sport disc is around that price as well, 700x25 rims, new sora gearing and disc brakes its a pretty ok ride might be one to consider
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    That Crosslight in green is one of my favourite frames right now. Beautiful.

It has to be heart every time. The bond between me and my bikes is much more than the practicalities of function and transport. It's about whether I look forward to riding it; the smile that spreads across my face when I think about riding it; and, the rage that comes when I look out the window and see that it is snowing AGAIN, which will prevent me from riding it for another few days. Grrrr....
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I think the Arkose was best buy in a review in Cycling+ in the last couple of months....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    cjcp wrote:
    I nearly bought the Kinesis, but bought the 5T instead. More than welcome to have a look at it if you want. Still only frame and fork only atm, mind.
    Niiice!
  • Roastie
    ps. I vote Kinesis. Alu, light, stiff, fast.
  • veronese68
    Roastie wrote:
    I may have got lost en route to physio and wandered into Sigma Sport and they may have called Kinesis who may have said yes to supplying a frame and forks in ridonkulous green. :mrgreen:
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    I may have got lost en route to physio and wandered into Sigma Sport and they may have called Kinesis who may have said yes to supplying a frame and forks in ridonkulous green. :mrgreen:

Excellent work. That's a lovely looking frame.
  • I'd go for a new bike. If you replace your head or your heart, it could be (a) messy and (b) expensive. :wink:

Alternatively, go for the Kinesis.......
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Roastie
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

No clear memory of how it happened, of course. Must be the painkillers you're taking for the injury.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Unless you are racing and need a bike for a specific purpose, it has be buy with the heart - 100%, every time.

The head will soon forget why you bought it. :wink:

And next year whyever you did by the head, it will be outdated. Your heart will still be in the same place.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This is a bit like being asked to tell you which one of your sisters you should marry.
    If you have to marry one of your sisters you should always marry the one older than you. That way you can say she groomed you...

I do not have any sisters.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game