Filling the Void

Sussed out
Sussed out Posts: 189
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
OK, I thought I'd post this in here as I'm horrifically bored and also feeling a little lost at the moment so bear with me.
I've just stopped being a full time athlete after five long years. I've been at the top of my sport, won medals at a world level and had the regime of 2-3 sessions a day, 6-7 days a week, 49-50 weeks of the year.
During November and December, normally my favourite time of the year because of the big workloads and long aerobic sessions, I began feeling frustrated and trapped. The last couple of years have been tough, with some bad decisions around training location and stress over illness/injury resulting in performances at national trials which were not good enough, more recently a big cut in funding and struggling with finances.
I've been doing this sport since I was 12, 12 years ago and have always had a natural talent for it. I've never really wanted to do anything else so when feelings of wanting to be getting on with real life started creeping in it was very scary. Eventually, just before Christmas they got too much and I ended up stopping half way through an important test and breaking down. Making the decision to take some time away was hard but once it was made I felt like a world had been lifted off my shoulders.
The past 3 weeks have been great and weird, having so much time on my hands, not having to diet, get up to train at 6:30 or not having the pressure of performance have made me more relaxed than I have been in years.
I'm currently starting to stew a bit since coming off my mountainbike 2 weeks ago and damaging my ribs and wrist but once I'm back to riding/ running i'll be very happy.
I've got a feeling in the back of my head that I can apply what I've learnt from 5 years as a high performance athlete to cycling and want to test the water. I've always loved cycling and been pretty decent at it but don't really have an idea where to start or what I want to do. I quite fancy triathlon but would love to do some bike racing.
I'm going to move back with my girlfriend next week (I moved 250 miles away to train) and want to begin training again and would like a framework to work to. I'm looking for a coaching job but till one comes along I'd like to train my arse off and smash some racing to see where it gets me.
This is mainly a 'get it off my chest to an anonymous forum' exercise but if anyone can help me with a high level programme or an example of one I'd really appreciate it. I don't need easing in to training, I'd just like some direction and something to do.
Cheers

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Are you Lance Armstrong?

There is plenty of experience and talent on Bikeradar (none of which is mine unfortunately) so I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with a program. You might also want to post something similar in the Amateur Race forum as serious racers will congregate there.

What was your sport by the way?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Haha no I'm not him.
    My sport was rowing, I know there have been some successful crossovers from rowing to cycling, similar aerobic training. I'll have an ask in amateur race, cheers
  • Yellow Peril
    A rower eh? my sincerest condolences to your bottom bracket then!
    @JaunePeril

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The token rower in the club at uni turned up as a newbie in trainers then smashed everyone to bits on the first hill.. you won't have any problems converting to cycling if you're a world class rower.

Just join the local cycling club and get some miles done before the race season.
  • Is this a game of guess who?

Do you wear spectacles?
  • I have nothing to contribute, other than my good wishes. I was very much the nerdy academic type as a kid (for example, I did Computer Studies O Level as a way of getting out of games), and as a consequence ended up very much lacking in the fitness department as I got older.

Now at 50 I'm trying hard to redress the balance on the bike (having had too many injuries running to ever get properly fit), and loving it, despite regretting the fact that what I can achieve is now pretty limited, having started so late.

Very best of luck.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Long time since I used to race. Back then if you put some effort in and dedicated yourself you would do well. Now its a different ball game from what I can gather as there is a proliferation of the sport due to the Olympics and the Wiggo effect. What you have got now is a 4th category which is an entry level and the level you would have to start at to start rising through the categories.
    Your size and weight may dictate your path. If your well built and heavy (80kgs or above), track riding just might be the very thing and as you have been a rower, that upper body strength will be a huge asset. If you are lighter and want to get lighter still, road racing is an option. Wiggo had to loose a lot of weight to become a road rider from being a track rider and his successful transition to road is as big an achievement as winning the TdF. (Chris Boardman only won a couple of time trials after making the switch and his biggest achievement was setting the hour record - back to the track).
    Don't know enough about tri-athlon but if you look at the modern tri athletes, like the Brownlee brothers, they are thin and wirey.
    Good luck.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Long time since I used to race. Back then if you put some effort in and dedicated yourself you would do well. Now its a different ball game from what I can gather as there is a proliferation of the sport due to the Olympics and the Wiggo effect. What you have got now is a 4th category which is an entry level and the level you would have to start at to start rising through the categories.
    Your size and weight may dictate your path. If your well built and heavy (80kgs or above), track riding just might be the very thing and as you have been a rower, that upper body strength will be a huge asset. If you are lighter and want to get lighter still, road racing is an option. Wiggo had to loose a lot of weight to become a road rider from being a track rider and his successful transition to road is as big an achievement as winning the TdF. (Chris Boardman only won a couple of time trials after making the switch and his biggest achievement was setting the hour record - back to the track).
    Don't know enough about tri-athlon but if you look at the modern tri athletes, like the Brownlee brothers, they are thin and wirey.
    Good luck.
    That's useful to know, thanks. I'm a lightweight, so sit at around 75kgs and can get down to 70kgs to race. I do fancy road riding, my forte has always been the more aerobic stuff. I've met Jonny Brownlee, there isn't a lot too him!
    I'm moving down south so I'll try and do some of the hillingdon races, I've heard they're quite good.
    Whilst I've got time on my hands ill get on doing some miles and see what comes of it.
    Thanks for the replies
  • Is this a game of guess who?

Do you wear spectacles?

Might I know you? I wear contacts.
  • Sussed out wrote:
    Is this a game of guess who?

Do you wear spectacles?

Might I know you? I wear contacts.

Do you have a beard?
  • Ermmm sometimes. I'm Ben Rowe, do I know you?
  • Sussed out wrote:
    Ermmm sometimes. I'm Ben Rowe, do I know you?

You gave in too early! My next question was are you former international rower Ben Rowe?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    If your in the South East -

http://www.surreyleague.co.uk/

Produced a lot of good cyclists.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Sussed out wrote:
    Ermmm sometimes. I'm Ben Rowe, do I know you?

You gave in too early! My next question was are you former international rower Ben Rowe?

Haha you're good!
    If your in the South East -

http://www.surreyleague.co.uk/

Produced a lot of good cyclists.
    I will look into this, cheers
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Ben Rowe? Well look, you're obviously well named for your former sport and if you want to succeed in cycling you're going to need to change that surname.

May I suggest that from now on you answer to the name of Ben Rear-Derailleur?
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Ben Rowe? Well look, you're obviously well named for your former sport and if you want to succeed in cycling you're going to need to change that surname.

That could work! Although I'm going to go into rowing coaching so I'll keep the name I've got for now. :D
  • johnfinch wrote:

Got there before me. :shock:
    I'll get my coat. I suggest you do the same. :D
  • finchy
    Sussed out wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

That could work! Although I'm going to go into rowing coaching so I'll keep the name I've got for now. :D

I see that you competed in Hungary. Did you do that on Balaton or on the Danube?
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:

F**k off, it's a fantastic joke. :P :wink:
  • johnfinch wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

F**k off, it's a fantastic joke. :P :wink:

Course it is - 'cos I thought of it too. :)

Ben - could be worth posting on the Training or Race forums - chaps there will probably be able to point you to people with the info you need - you're obviously way ahead of most already in terms of approach and fitness!
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Good luck Ben.

A rower like you will be able to convert to cycling with ease, and i am certain you'll smash the field to pieces with little effort, knowing what sort of hearts/lungs rowers have!

As for training, sprry i cant help, but there's a dedicated training forum here.
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Sussed out wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

I see that you competed in Hungary. Did you do that on Balaton or on the Danube?

It was on a lake just outside Szeged. Pretty nice lake as they go actually.

Thanks for all the encouragement :D
  • finchy
    Szeged, hmmm, never made it that far, but I really want to visit deepest, darkest Hungary one day. Is the town any good?
  • The town was beautiful actually, really much nicer than I expected it to be. Stupidly hot though.
  • Yellow Peril
    You realise Ben that if you go on to be as successful on 2 wheels as you were with an oar, I will claim to be the person that initially guided your career in cycling and will of course expect a couple of signed jerseys from which ever prem calendar, world/pro tour team you are riding!
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril, if it comes to that, I'll sort you out with something haha. Don't stop buying kit just in case though.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    FTFY (Make it readable by breaking it up into smaller chunks :wink: )
    Sussed out wrote:
    OK, I thought I'd post this in here as I'm horrifically bored and also feeling a little lost at the moment so bear with me.
    I've just stopped being a full time athlete after five long years. I've been at the top of my sport, won medals at a world level and had the regime of 2-3 sessions a day, 6-7 days a week, 49-50 weeks of the year.

During November and December, normally my favourite time of the year because of the big workloads and long aerobic sessions, I began feeling frustrated and trapped. The last couple of years have been tough, with some bad decisions around training location and stress over illness/injury resulting in performances at national trials which were not good enough, more recently a big cut in funding and struggling with finances.

I've been doing this sport since I was 12, 12 years ago and have always had a natural talent for it. I've never really wanted to do anything else so when feelings of wanting to be getting on with real life started creeping in it was very scary. Eventually, just before Christmas they got too much and I ended up stopping half way through an important test and breaking down. Making the decision to take some time away was hard but once it was made I felt like a world had been lifted off my shoulders.

The past 3 weeks have been great and weird, having so much time on my hands, not having to diet, get up to train at 6:30 or not having the pressure of performance have made me more relaxed than I have been in years.
    I'm currently starting to stew a bit since coming off my mountainbike 2 weeks ago and damaging my ribs and wrist but once I'm back to riding/ running i'll be very happy.

I've got a feeling in the back of my head that I can apply what I've learnt from 5 years as a high performance athlete to cycling and want to test the water. I've always loved cycling and been pretty decent at it but don't really have an idea where to start or what I want to do. I quite fancy triathlon but would love to do some bike racing.

I'm going to move back with my girlfriend next week (I moved 250 miles away to train) and want to begin training again and would like a framework to work to. I'm looking for a coaching job but till one comes along I'd like to train my ars* off and smash some racing to see where it gets me.

This is mainly a 'get it off my chest to an anonymous forum' exercise but if anyone can help me with a high level programme or an example of one I'd really appreciate it. I don't need easing in to training, I'd just like some direction and something to do.
    Cheers
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you have a World class rowing background, I'd suggest you get in touch with British Cycling and see if they can find you a local coach / group to work with.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    It seemed to work out well for Rebecca Romero. Probably need to work on long term endurance a bit for the crossover to road racing (although in reality they are generally a series of shorter, more intense efforts linked by relatively 'easy' periods so it shouldn't take too much). The most obvious crossover would be pursuiting on the track but there's no reason why someone with the engine and power that an international rower will possess shouldn't be able to do very well. Work on skills as well as fitness though as that can often make a big difference.
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    Hi Ben,

Ive taken a similar path to you, but on a smaller level. I rowed for 4 years, and after a Henley campaign and a (brief) appearance in the Thames challenge cup in 2011 i took a break and never went back. Very strange feeling, felt a little lost for while. It felt a shame to chuck rowing away, but there were small niggling things that I just didnt feel happy about.
    Im completely addicted to cycling now and id like to race. sadly im no lightweight though (4 seat!) and ive been slowly loosing upper body muscle for a year. On a flat course I would feel more confident.

You will have no problems at all, in fact id bet you do pretty bloody well.

Keep us up to date wont you, and good luck.

Dave