Getting into Strava

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
OK, been a slow adopter as my previous smart phones couldn't get the Strava app and I was too lazy to tyransfer GPX files, however 3 rides in and I'm in danger of getting hooked!

The prospect of KOM's or even just top 10's on a flat barred Hybrid dragging 5kg of baggage and rolling on 26" wheels is a lure, but some of these times would be unmatchable on it so maybe I need a road bike after all.....maybe I should start with tri-bars.....Thanks to the chap on my commute today who shared the first wheel load, that was 2 PB's!

This is getting silly!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    It is addictive. You now need a £1000+ carbon road bike to go with your free phone app... ;-)
  • The Rookie
    Serious consideration being given to some 700c wheels, thinner forks and some tri-bars, plus the odd pannier less outing....though setting a good time on my Mongrel with full load is very satsifying, no-one else knows whet you've ridden it on.....

Interestingly on a popular segment I have quite a good time despite it being pretty high speed and downhill!

What's the cheapest I can get a pukka TT bike for again?
    This falls into C2W category....
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/bikes/q ... _triathlon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Serious consideration being given to some 700c wheels, thinner forks and some tri-bars, plus the odd pannier less outing....though setting a good time on my Mongrel with full load is very satsifying, no-one else knows whet you've ridden it on.....

Interestingly on a popular segment I have quite a good time despite it being pretty high speed and downhill!

What's the cheapest I can get a pukka TT bike for again?
    This falls into C2W category....
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/bikes/q ... _triathlon

Bloody hell.... we're like crack addicts 'round here sometimes... :shock: :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I do Strava mostly for the banter with cycling mates locally - especially at this time of year when your chances of picking up a decent KoM are pretty much zero (I did pinch one from a mate over Xmas - it was on my doorstep, the wind was blowing hard and he was in his garage on a turbo - the temptation was just too great).

On the downside, you can get sucked into riding hard just because you know others will be checking your times. On the upside though, I could see that the guy ahead of me that I just couldn't catch last night is 20 years younger and 20+kg lighter than me - so I don't feel so bad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    Bloody hell.... we're like crack addicts 'round here sometimes... :shock: :lol:
    You say that like it's a bad thing KB?

Tribars for only £20....tempting, I know I can run one gear up by dropping onto the inboard end of the flat bars....the bars would drop me twice as far!

Maybe I should just flip the stem - for now....

Maybe I'll just stick 100psi in the 60-80psi tyres - for now.......

I'm already deciding which segment on my commute to attack each commute, epic fail this morning as it started raining as I got to my target segment, which has 2 tightish downhill corners, joint KOM though and he set it in the middle of last 'summer'.....so the excuses are already coming as well!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    LOL, nearest store has nothing!

Just need a few bits on mine anyway!
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Yeah I'm into it as well. I'm only on the free version, not sure I need a phone to tell me I'm suffering when I can feel I'm emptying the tank anyway. Got my first KOM though and I was well chuffed.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I get myself top ten placings on a cheap 12kg cross bike then start seeing words like 'Cervelo' on other people's profiles.

Sadly I'm so broke I'll probably never find out..
  • The Rookie
    Decathlon do a full Sora bike that comes in just under 10Kg for about £230, still weight only counts against you going uphill! Not that I've considered the upgrade at all!
  • meanredspider
    Decathlon do a full Sora bike

When you say "full" Sora - I thought Sora was entry level?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Decathlon do a full Sora bike

When you say "full" Sora - I thought Sora was entry level?

2300 is- though not a groupset in its own right.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If they really do a bike that has a full Sora group for £230 then that's a bargain. More likely it has a Sora back brake or similar, and the rest is lower. Happy to be proven wrong
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    From memory all the drive was Sora..... Sora isn't entry compared to what BSO's have!

Tyres pumped up, longer stem fitted and bars dropped 20mm!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Tetley10 wrote:
    Yeah I'm into it as well. I'm only on the free version, not sure I need a phone to tell me I'm suffering when I can feel I'm emptying the tank anyway. Got my first KOM though and I was well chuffed.

Link or it didn't happen!
  • tetley10
    BigMat wrote:
    Tetley10 wrote:

Link or it didn't happen!

http://app.strava.com/activities/36752845#590841256

Not sure that will work.

You've smoked me out. I know there's only 6 on it, does that still count?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Only 5 on my last one, they all count!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm prouder of this than I am of my kids

http://app.strava.com/segments/808463
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    prawny wrote:

That one's really odd - any idea why it thinks you only delivered 83W? Guys much slower than you were at nearly 400W with a power meter?
  • tetley10
    prawny wrote:

That one's really odd - any idea why it thinks you only delivered 83W? Guys much slower than you were at nearly 400W with a power meter?

Not sure why it does that. Strava clocked me doing 94kph just as I cruised do the hill from my house at the start of a ride yesterday.
  • The Rookie
    Wrong weight probably......
  • prawny
    Tetley10 wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Not sure why it does that. Strava clocked me doing 94kph just as I cruised do the hill from my house at the start of a ride yesterday.

I only weigh 85grams
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider

Well, I thought that but Prawny is actually listed in one of the heavier categories if you look at the result by weight group... Maybe it was wrong at the time of the ride (when power was calculated once) and is now right?
  • prawny

Prawny is actually listed in one of the heavier categories

Oi! :twisted:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    prawny wrote:

Prawny is actually listed in one of the heavier categories

Oi! :twisted:

The truth hurts... :wink::wink::D
  • prawny
    Looking at it again I reckon I'd filled in th weight for my bike but not completed my profile, looking at the my weight on there it's not far off where I am now so it's probably worked my power out from a total weight of about 20lbs
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The Rookie
    That'll do it!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    you should try mountain biking. I've heard tell of people round here who build trails, ride them and set a good time and then go back and alter the trails or put obstacles in them to slow other riders down so they can't beat their Strava position :(
    FCN = 4
  • The Rookie
    If people gain some sort of satisfaction from that, then they are just stupid...

There is a local MTB loop, very technical, I could almost certainly run it faster than I can bike (1.0M loop, KOM is an average speed of 5.5mph) it so could get a KOM that way, but that isn't the point, I'd get no satisfaction from it.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I finally joined the 21st century and got a smart phone over Xmas,

I noticed that Willyb has a few KOM on my commute - wont be tackling them yet though, (chest infection and 10Kgs of rucksack).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills