Anyone applying for the Fred Whitton this year?

13»

Comments

• nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    I saw loads of punctures, probably 30 at least. My mate was acting as a mobile mechanic (on his touring bike) and replaced 5 tubes just on the section around Hardknott and Wrynose.

Another big thumbs up for Conti GP4000s tyres, they've not punctured in 12 months now. Could have done with 25mm not 23mm on the descents yesterday though!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Sounded tough out on the roads on Sunday. Over the last six years I have seen every condition on this event from blazing sunshine with people having to stop due to over heating and people suffering from hypothermia.

It's one of the toughest events on the calendar without bad weather so hats off and congrats to all that took place as I know how you feel. I never entered this year as I fancied a break and glad that I did.
    Brian B.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I got around, but took over an hour more than I had hoped for. :(
    I was taking it super slow on the descents in the rain. My brakes were shit, which was disappointing as I'd put kool stop salmons on, in the mistaken belief that they are good in the wet. Maybe it was just too wet. I hope all those that fell were OK.
    Calder Bridge rest stop was certainly interesting! Felt like a refugee camp in there.
    There was no way I was riding up Hardknott. I really do take my hat off to anyone that can ride up that hill after 100miles. Amazing.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    PS - I'm sure I saw Robert Millar on Kirkstone Pass, chatting to another rider as he breezed by. Unsurprisingly he looked strong! I really hope it was him.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Overlord2 wrote:
    I just kept thinking "Please god don't let me puncture!" A puncture up there I would have been in a morgue today.

Me too, I was thinking the exact same thing! You're not exaggerating either. If I'd had to stop any time after the Caulder Bridge feed stop, there was a real chance I'd have got hypothermia as, like everyone I was soaked to the skin regardless of high-tech clothing - and trying to change gear was bad enough with numb hands never mind get a tyre on an off.
  • alexjones5
    alexjones5 Posts: 42
    Hat's off to everyone that finished this year.
    I gave it a miss last year after the 2011 event which was cold but this was in a league of it's own. Cold Fell was a nightmare, struggled to see all the way down as the glasses fogged up but without them the rain/sleet/crap of back wheels blinded me.
    In terms of the braking I think it was just too wet. I had brand new Mavic Exalith pads on with the matching wheels which normally stop very quickly but I had to put a lot more force through the levers to get it to slow.
    There is always nervous descenders in sportives but the weather made it a bit of a lottery. I'm surprised and relieved the pot holes on the second Hardknott hairpin being under water didn't catch more people out.
    How good was the warm room at Calder Bridge?? Half an hour and 3 aluminium blankets and 2 cups of tea gave me the strength to get back on or a taxi was looking good. Just couldn't get warm.
    I had targeted sub 7 but 30 mins in there cost me on my official time (7 46), Garmin gave 7 10. Something to aim for next year?
    Only if the memory does indeed dull the experience!!

Chapeau all Fred survivors! As the organiser said to me once on the phone, it is called a Challenge!
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    I was finding it harder this year before the bad weather set in.
    Don't think I'll ever cycle up Hardknots, hats off to all who did!
    Rename Cold Fell really Cold No visibility Fell, although never lost feelings in my hands this year like two years ago!
    Next Year? Probally.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184

Thank you, doffed hat gladly received :)---made it up with a non PC bike too (ie mudguards and saddlebag :) ); was not going to give in so ground / wobbled my way up. Slow overall at 9 -41 total but spent over an hour on stops.

Disc brakes too were very welcome on teh descents :)
  • holmeboy
    JamesB wrote:

Thank you, doffed hat gladly received :)---made it up with a non PC bike too (ie mudguards and saddlebag :) ); was not going to give in so ground / wobbled my way up. Slow overall at 9 -41 total but spent over an hour on stops.

Disc brakes too were very welcome on teh descents :)

Think I might have seen you and thought show off bastard!
    Mudgaurds and saddle bag indeed!
  • JamesB
    Mudgaurds and saddle bag indeed!

kept me `dry` and warm with spare kit and rain protection though :). Was riding in a touring / audax mode
  • ukg3pxc
    ukg3pxc Posts: 37
    Just thought i'd add my mates review for anyone who's interested

http://www.lakesroadclub.org.uk/events/ ... d-whitton/
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    imo they should have a section on the Fred that only has the results of those that didn't walk any of it.

I just don't get it. Why do riders enter this event than blatently admit they can't climb all the passes? It just annoys the hell out of me. For me getting round WITHOUT walking any of it is the key goal not the time. Its a cycling event not a duathlon.
  • JamesB
    For me getting round WITHOUT walking any of it is the key goal not the time. Its a cycling event not a duathlon.

Totally agree it is the completion, on a bike, that counts for me. I took a long time, 9 1/ 2 hours in total but got round , climbed everything , kept reasonably warm and dry and didn`t overcook on descents.
    Whilst a few `fellow cyclists` scoffed at my choice of bike and `luggage` at least I stuck with it and rode all the climbs.
    http://www.steveflemingphoto.com/8000756 to prove it :)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Each to their own - personally I'd have traded riding all of it for say a 6.45 ride time.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • holmeboy
    Think I'll buy a red polka dot jersey for next year really pish you real cyclists off! :D
  • ransos1
    ransos1 Posts: 34
    Overlord2 wrote:
    imo they should have a section on the Fred that only has the results of those that didn't walk any of it.

I just don't get it. Why do riders enter this event than blatently admit they can't climb all the passes? It just annoys the hell out of me. For me getting round WITHOUT walking any of it is the key goal not the time. Its a cycling event not a duathlon.

You don't have to carry your bike in a duathlon.