Anyone applying for the Fred Whitton this year?

Comments

• 01422star
    01422star Posts: 16
    edited April 2013
    I have an entry I can't use this year if anyone wants it......?

IT HAS NOW BEEN TAKEN.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Started checking the long range weather forecast yet?
    I've got a few longer rides under my belt recently so am at least feeling confident that I can get round. How long it will take me is anyone's guess though

1. Yes but every day changes for the weather from (best) warm , sunny to wet and cool :(

2. ditto have done a 300k Audax and a 200k ride, both with mega quantity climbing even more so than Fred :) , but not of such steep severity. Confident of getting around slowly, just need early start for cutoff point.

+ bearing in mind conditions report on road will be riding CX bike with 28mm + discs to stop no matter what the weather., solid but robust bike :)
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Didn't get in on the original request but got a cancellation place. Give it a go if you want to do it.

Bit nervous about it now, it's supposed to be a warmup for Marmotte but suspect it'll be harder.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    I did a reconnaissance of the fred over 2 days this week. The roads are looking fairly reasonable and are nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Certainly the roads are no worse than everywhere else in the country that we have to contend with. The worst part is the first steep bit of Hardknott past the phone box where parts of the road appear to have sunk in the middle just means you have to concentrate and work a bit harder but nothing major.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Overlord2 wrote:
    I did a reconnaissance of the fred over 2 days this week. The roads are looking fairly reasonable and are nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Certainly the roads are no worse than everywhere else in the country that we have to contend with. The worst part is the first steep bit of Hardknott past the phone box where parts of the road appear to have sunk in the middle just means you have to concentrate and work a bit harder but nothing major.

Thanks, good to know. I was getting a bit worried about how my brand new Pro-race 23s would stand up to the challenge. Now I only need to worry about my legs...
  • Wobblehead
    Wobblehead Posts: 264
    markynulty wrote:
    I have done quite a lot of long hard rides up to now with as much climbing as possible. Did the Lakeland loop last week and the descent from hardknott was messy. Lots of grit and gravel with huge potholes. Had a tyre blow out on the rear. I hope the Fred is a dry ride, as went through 2/3 of a set of dt swiss black pads on the Lakeland loop. Can't wait now though!

Glad the brake block issue wasn't just mine, couldn't believe it when I got back, thought they were starting to feel weak towards the end.
  • overlord2
    Getting more nervous now. I am praying to the weather Gods none stop.
  • JamesB
    Getting more nervous now. I am praying to the weather Gods none stop

Unfortunately looks like a lot of prayers will be needed :(
    Latest forecast seem to be Friday wet / windy / cool> Saturday wet / windy / cool> Sunday wet / windy / cool> Monday wet / windy / cool so there seems to be a set weather pattern of ....wet / windy / cool

On basis this I will be using a winter weight waterproof as 10c in valleys nearer 6c on climb summits
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Yep forecast is a wee bit grim - hoping the BBC have it right, dry in the morning - Metcheck have is pi$$ing down all day.

With the long winter and then spraining my ankle in April with an enforced 3 weeks off the bike and now the weather I am starting to question my sanity.

To veterans - What do you get upon registration, should I be printing a route map etc off just in case or is all this supplied.
  • JamesB
    forecast gets worse day by day ...now at 8c and heavy rain pm :(:(
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Most reliable for the area is http://www.mwis.org.uk/ld.php
    Not looking promising! :(
  • shazzz
    Bloody hell. Not looking good at all. And I'm trying to get over a cold!
    The one thing I know about the weather in the Lake District, though, is that it's changeable! Keeping fingers crossed....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Met office looking reasonable up until early afternoon - I'd take that compared to some of the others admittedly. It has rained both times I've done it before and so long admits not torrential I didn't find it spoiled the event so whatever still looking forwards to it. Just fitting a 29 cassette now.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Lashing it down in Ambleside, if anyones interested (13.45 on thursday).

Recent experience has told me not to bother looking at the forecast 3 days in advance, it can all change. Had a Sportive last weekend when the 3 day forecast said bright weather, by 24 hours beforehand it was heavy rain!
  • overlord2
    tbh not bothered about rain. I don't want strong winds.
  • shazzz
    A bit crude but worth five minutes of your life....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9knx9Fcnhxc&sns=tw
  • racetog
    racetog Posts: 2
    Over 3000 photos of todays Fred, taken from 2 great locations.
    See http://www.athletesinaction.co.uk
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Home and dry at last. That was bloody tough! Managed 7:51 which I'm chuffed with. Two and half hours faster than last year :-)
  • Tom Butcher
    Well that was either epic or bloo dy horrible - I'll ponder which when I've warmed up and dried out.

Slow start as felt unwell for 24 hours and didnt want to push too hard, perked up a bit after Kirkstone, got in a good little group from the main road to Honister (thanks to the guy in the Marmotte top and someone from City of Lancaster Tri). Went well up to 75 miles or so then the wheels came off big time, managed to ride Hardknott though and finished a little stronger for 7 19. Hoped for under 7 but given the weather and that I almost didn't start due to feeling a bit poorly can't complain - first time I've got up Hardknott without a foot down too.

Hopefully I'll get in again next year - 3 times now and still not had a dry day.

• mr_poll
    Gutted.

Going ok and taking it easy on descents, then coming down Whinlater a woman wobbled on the left, i saw this went right. She went into a bloke who fell off and landed across the road - hit him and cartwheeled over him, and used my head/face as a break. Out cold for 5 minutes, awoke to spectators around me, head on a bloody jacket and them telling me an ambulance was on its way.

Thanks to those who looked after me, the marshalls for getting my bike back to HQ, and the NHS for swift friendly service - i am sore and have a broken elbow, so no riding for 6 weeks :(
  • Tom Butcher
    Glad you will be ok - saw the aftermath but looked like you we're already being attended to by spectators - heal well.

• markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    It was a great day yesterday. The weather was challenging and made it a very technical course in places. I saw the aftermath of a few incidents, including one at the bridge on the way down honister. To be honest though, I felt that too many nervy looking people were going far too fast on the slippery descents so surprised there were not more accidents. Cold fell lived up to its name being wet and wild. I personally thought honister was the hardest climb. Very steep from the start and relentless with lots of riders and cars on the road. Had to overtake a few cars to keep moving. Just under 7 and a half hours for me and given the weather I am happy with that. Didnt have to put a foot down once either.
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Hope you're not too sore this morning mr_poll?!

This was my first FW, took it nice and easy and got round in 9hrs 59mins. We had a long pause at Calder Bridge as one of the guys I was with was near hypothermic. As we were setting off I noticed his lips were blue, I asked him how he was feeling? In between uncontrollable shivering he said he was frozen to the bone! Needless to say he correctly decided not to press on.

I managed to ride everything, including Hardknot so more than happy, in fact I'm ecstatic. I went with the wish of riding Hardknot, which I did. Freakin' excellent!!!

I'll be entering next year, now I have a time to beat :wink: hopefully I'll get a place.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    mr_poll wrote:
    Gutted.

Going ok and taking it easy on descents, then coming down Whinlater a woman wobbled on the left, i saw this went right. She went into a bloke who fell off and landed across the road - hit him and cartwheeled over him, and used my head/face as a break. Out cold for 5 minutes, awoke to spectators around me, head on a bloody jacket and them telling me an ambulance was on its way.

Thanks to those who looked after me, the marshalls for getting my bike back to HQ, and the NHS for swift friendly service - i am sore and have a broken elbow, so no riding for 6 weeks :(

Unlucky - hope you have a speedy recovery. And hope you didnt get the new kit ripped and you know this wouldnt have happened if you'd stocked up on Burnley Power Bars. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Congrats to all who took part. Seems like the weather gods were not favourable. I did last years & will apply to do next years after missing out this year. Well done indeed everyone, to the Fred in cruddy weather is hardcore! Get well soon Mr Poll...
  • heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    i saw guy looking bad half way down Wrynose .. handed over the foil blanket i had down my jacket for extra warm over to those looking after him. Hope he was okay.
  • mr_poll
    Unlucky - hope you have a speedy recovery. And hope you didnt get the new kit ripped and you know this wouldnt have happened if you'd stocked up on Burnley Power Bars. :mrgreen:

Ha you know my club then! Yep kit ripped and next year i will take my own burnley power bar, rather than clif bars and zipfit gels.

Thanks for the best wishes, will post some pics when i work out how to do it on here.
  • mr_poll
    Helmet

27.jpg?psid=1
  • morph
    morph Posts: 63
    Wow, that was epic - much tougher than last year.
    Did the ride with a couple of the old RPCC crew from here (not sure any of them have posted on here in a while).

First part we were flying round, much better than I did last year. Then the weather hit and got totally destroyed on cold fell. I ended up getting put in the warming room and joining the group rustling in foil. Thankfully after a bit the shivering died down enough to get back on the bike and the next bit being far more sheltered managed to warm up again. Still a real struggle from then on and slower than I'd have liked.

mr_poll Sorry to hear about your crash hope your elbow heals up quickly. With this weather we'll all be confined to the turbo anyway! Happy to see that the helmet took the brunt of the head hit though. I'm never too upset when I have to replace a helmet as I'd rather take the hit to my wallet than my head...
  • overlord2
    mr_poll wrote:
    Gutted.

Glad you're OK it was you I saw at the bottom of Whinlatter. You were out cold. Lucky for you you didn't have to endure Cold Fell :lol:

I saw people riding Cold Fell in shorts and short sleeve jerseys. Crazy. :|

8hrs 40m for me I have never looked forward so much to a big climb like Hardknott just to warm up. I just kept thinking "Please god don't let me puncture!" A puncture up there I would have been in a morgue today.

One for the story book definitely.

Oh and i'm glad I put 28's on otherwise I reckon Honister would have claimed another rider, locked the rear wheel briefly. Scary.