Really Irritating Noises

2»

Comments

• My neighbour's set of wind chimes. They are the most discordant set I've ever heard and they're annoyingly loud enough to hear with the window closed unless you've got music on inside. And sadly, they're at the wrong side of the garden for them to meet with an accident...

And that horrid tinny sound that emits from other people's headphones on those days that you're forced onto PT. Particularly since most of the 'songs' would make my ears bleed listening to them in hi-fi let alone in tinny-fi
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    CiB wrote:
    Our washing machine

I think we may have a similar model - it's that irritating that I'll break off doing pretty much anything to make it stop. Worse, if you put the childlock on, you have to unlock it by holding the buttons down for what seems like 20 seconds before it'll let you switch it off, beeping all the while.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135

And that horrid tinny sound that emits from other people's headphones on those days that you're forced onto PT. Particularly since most of the 'songs' would make my ears bleed listening to them in hi-fi let alone in tinny-fi

/\ This and it is always Isheep.

Also, in Singapore the locals have the most annoying habit of eating with their mouths open, I really dont need to hear the next few tables chomping every time I eat out, which is often
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    I've sat next to people in the office who type very aggressively & seem to have extra loud keyboards, what a racket. There is also the smugness of "look how much work I'm doing" but thats probably just my lazy paranoia!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    CiB wrote:
    Our washing machine - it bleeps a few times to say it's done thanks can you empty me now. Normal response is to ignore it - washing can wait, it'll still be damp in an hour even if it's hung up now; it can wait. And then every few seconds for the next 20 minutes you sit through QI or Desert Island Discs with this incessant beep beep come and empty me now beep beep beep come on now going on. I thought toddlers were bad.
    [...]

My cheapie Zanussi did that, but a few minutes Googling and a couple of button presses later, no more beep-beep-beep. #WillECoyoteWins
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DrLex wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Our washing machine - blah blah[...]

My cheapie Zanussi did that, but a few minutes Googling and a couple of button presses later, no more beep-beep-beep. #WillECoyoteWins
    It is indeed a Zanussi - no idea which model though, other than it being white. I'll do that tonight - thanks for the tip.
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2013
    CiB wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Our washing machine - blah blah[...]

It is indeed a Zanussi - no idea which model though, other than it being white. I'll do that tonight - thanks for the tip.

Hmmm, ours is a John Lewis branded one, but I'm pretty sure they are just rebadged. Ta for the hint - it never occurred to me that you might be able to switch it off.

EDIT: Found it: "Press buttons 5 and 6 for 5 seconds". That has improved my life immeasurably.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• 'Unexpected item in the baggage area'

This.

Self service checkouts and that annoying voice drive me insane.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • rjsterry
    Train announcements that go on and on and on, and always start just as you are trying to speak to someone on the phone.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    And another thing.....

Trains. On the odd occasion I have to get them I'm genuinely infuriated by the sheer verbosity of the announcements. E.g.

"We are now approaching AngryTown. Please note that you will only be able to alight from the front 4 carriages as this station has a short platform. This is coach number 3 of 12".

Right. A number of things.
    • If someone's in coach number 3, they don't need to know about short platforms, 'cos they're already ok.
    • Just too many words. Try "Now approaching AngryTown. You can only alight from the first 4 coaches. This is coach 6"
    • Turn the volume and frequency of announcements down ffs. Volume does not equal or replace clarity.
    • Just sod off
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    The clatter of people typing on keyboards.
    Probably a god job I don't work in an office.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Church bells.

Discordant bastards.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • My son. Just decided he wants to learn to play the guitar :x
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • My son. Just decided he wants to learn to play the guitar :x

At least it's not the violin
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My son. Just decided he wants to learn to play the guitar :x

At least it's not the violin

You lot have no idea.

My ex- was a peripatetic music teacher (brass, woodwind and piano). She also taught some kids privately (outside of schools) and during the holidays the little darlings would come and visit.

Occasionally this was when I was at home. :?

I still bear the scars of one entire day of pre Grade 1 kids ALL PLAYING THE SAME FECKING SCALES AND TUNES on a trumpet.

Oh, it hurt....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

• 'Unexpected item in the baggage area'

This.

Self service checkouts and that annoying voice drive me insane.
    Errr...don't use them then? You find them irritating but still use them?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My bottom bracket.
  • My ex- was a peripatetic music teacher (brass, woodwind and piano). .....

I still bear the scars ....

Oh, it hurt....

Perhaps you shouldn't have let her practice on the pink oboe? :shock:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My ex- was a peripatetic music teacher (brass, woodwind and piano). .....

I still bear the scars ....

Oh, it hurt....

Perhaps you shouldn't have let her practice on the pink oboe? :shock:

Or the rusty trombone :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    davis wrote:
    Church bells.

Discordant bastards.

Yeah - where else would you get away with making such a horrible din early on a Sunday morning?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    We are overlooked by a church. I don't mind the bells for services etc. in fact I quite like it.
    But the practice is bloomin annoying. They are supposed to practice 1 day a week until 9pm, which I think is too late anyway.
    However they nearly always carry on for longer. They also often invite other campanologists over to clang away and "treat" us to an extra nights racket. It is more annoying in the summer when you want to have the windows open and the kids can't get to sleep.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The sound of the word 'So.' when used at the start of a sentence, as done extensively on last night's Stargazing Live by the woman guest sat next to Dr Cox, the excitable American interviewed on You & Yours whilst I was driving into town a short while ago and numerous others all over the media these days, and on various conference calls I've been on lately. What's happening?

Stop using So. to introduce your thoughts. It's not a conjunction or an adverb, in that context. If you can't get your audience's attention when you start speaking, try being clearer, or louder; don't chuck in an unnecessary word, probably in the same way that you lob apostrophes at sentences hoping that some, all or fewer might be right.
  • merkin wrote:
    They also often invite other campagnologists over to clang away and "treat" us to an extra nights racket.
    FTFY

Count yourself lucky they dont invite over the Shimanologists and SRAMologists too, as that would bound to end in a fight over who is best.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Goes without saying...
    img_2863755_620.jpg
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Not really a noise, but people using the term "plug socket". It's an electrical socket, or you can call it a mains socket if you prefer. The overwhelming majority of sockets are designed to be used with plugs of one sort or another, headphone and USB sockets being examples of this. Adding the word "plug" conveys no extra information, and sounds stupid...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Not really a noise, but people using the term "plug socket".
    I believe you can get fully comprehensive insurance against that :wink: