Really Irritating Noises

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
For some reason I find the tonk-tonk-tonk of someone stirring a mug of coffee really gets my goat. Funnily enough, a china tea cup is nowhere near as irritating nor is the noise of a spoon on a creal bowl.

A (late) colleague of mine said that the sound of someone eating a bag of crisps gave him murderous thoughts.

Anybody got any other noises that they find (irrationally) irritating?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    A colleague of mine has really annoying tone on her phone when she receives an e-mail or text; "normal" people in an open plan office turn their phones on to silent.

Not this woman. It drives me mental.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i had a weird annoying noise this morning on the way in on what sounded like the rear of my bike

i checked everything - or so i thought

just been into my cupboard where i store my ride an noticed the back tyre has become unseated from the rim an has a huge egg. it must have been scraping on my mudguard ...eek!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    rubertoe wrote:
    A colleague of mine has really annoying tone on her phone when she receives an e-mail or text; "normal" people in an open plan office turn their phones on to silent.

The all-time best technique I've ever heard of for dealing with that was to pick up the annoying phone as soon as it beeped, and through sleight-of-hand drop another (dead) phone into a glass of water in front of the berk. Course it works best if they're both the same model of phone. Of course, if they annoy you that much I suppose you don't need to switch the phones..
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • My mudguards rattling, rubbing, buzzing...etc
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    My 13 month old son grinding his teeth together.... sends shivers down my spine!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    rubertoe wrote:

Do you work with my housemate?

The world doesn't need to know you got a freaking text!!"!!!
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    The sound of a ball being bounced. Drives me insane. Have no idea why :?
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    My sisters singing Disney songs in Dutch. They're both around 30. Its time to stop.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    iPete wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Do you work with my housemate?

The world doesn't need to know you got a freaking text!!"!!!

Another favourite of hers is having conversations on speakerphone...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Keypad tones...
    I have a colleague that complains that his phone makes a noise every time he touches it,
    even though we've all shown him how to switch them off,
    it's still all 'beep, beep, beep, beep'

I swear he enjoys it.
  • The sound of a helmet cammer screeching out a registration number.
  • The noise the flag makes as it goes up and down the flagpole at Belfast City Hall seems to really irritate quite a lot of people :?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The noise the flag makes as it goes down the flagpole at Belfast City Hall seems to really irritate quite a lot of people :?

FTFY :lol:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The noise the flag makes as it goes down the flagpole at Belfast City Hall seems to really irritate quite a lot of people :?

FTFY :lol:

No it's quite bizarre - one set of people seem to get irritated as it comes down, and a quite different set seem to get irritated as it goes up.
  • davis
    We've got a microwave oven at work that goes ping when it's finished. Fine, I 'spose. It also goes ping every minute thereafter until you open the door, just in case you've forgotten something inside.

Look, you're only a tossing microwave oven, no-one on the planet has ever cooked anything nice in one, so there's no bastard need to sit there beeping away like someone's just about to overcook their fondant ffs. You make stuff warmer. Do that, then shut the fcuk up, you tedious self-important box o' shite.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Oops double post....... dam Laptop.......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Keith47 wrote:
    The sound of a ball being bounced. Drives me insane. Have no idea why :?

One of my favourite noises, basketball, football, golf ball any of em.
  • The bell signifying Last Orders, just as you are settling into a really good session. :(
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    davis wrote:
    We've got a microwave oven at work that goes ping when it's finished. Fine, I 'spose. It also goes ping every minute thereafter until you open the door, just in case you've forgotten something inside.

Look, you're only a tossing microwave oven, no-one on the planet has ever cooked anything nice in one, so there's no bastard need to sit there beeping away like someone's just about to overcook their fondant ffs. You make stuff warmer. Do that, then shut the fcuk up, you tedious self-important box o' shite.
    I would like this; I regularly used to open the microwave door to find a bowl of peas I'd microwaved days ago and then forgotten about...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    davis wrote:
    Do that, then shut the fcuk up, you tedious self-important box o' shite.

It's dishwashers that do the same that are even more irritating.

After owning both an AEG microwave and an AEG dishwasher - both of which burst into flames - I can only assume the pinging is to let you know that you can quickly switch them off at the wall to minimise the risk of turning you, your family and your house to carbon... :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    davis wrote:
    Do that, then shut the fcuk up, you tedious self-important box o' shite.

It's dishwashers that do the same that are even more irritating.

After owning both an AEG microwave and an AEG dishwasher - both of which burst into flames - I can only assume the pinging is to let you know that you can quickly switch them off at the wall to minimise the risk of turning you, your family and your house to carbon... :roll:
    That'd be bad; carbon is apparently water-soluble...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Ed Milliband
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Those wet, horking, slobbering and ridiculously extended nose clearing sneezes into a handkerchief.

and then they look.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • My Ex...
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    That sound that pigeons make, brrr brr.

Florence and that bloody machine @ Latitude.

Canned laughter

'Unexpected item in the baggage area'

Yappy little dogs.
  • Mind the gap.....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Our washing machine - it bleeps a few times to say it's done thanks can you empty me now. Normal response is to ignore it - washing can wait, it'll still be damp in an hour even if it's hung up now; it can wait. And then every few seconds for the next 20 minutes you sit through QI or Desert Island Discs with this incessant beep beep come and empty me now beep beep beep come on now going on. I thought toddlers were bad.

The beeping sound that my car makes when I drive off without putting the seatbelt on, that then reduces the radio volume to 3 (inaudible) beyond 25mph. Alright car. I'll do it. In a minute. When I'm ready.

Chris Evans.
  • davis
    TGOTB wrote:
    davis wrote:

I would like this; I regularly used to open the microwave door to find a bowl of peas I'd microwaved days ago and then forgotten about...

Swap? I'll work out postage....
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    The kn@b who does the voice over on come dine with me. Helmet.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    (1) People who sneeze with their voice. Its not necessary to say "Ah-Choo" when sneezing, really it isn't.

(2) People who yawn using their voice. Usually the same people.