How many push ups??

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,625
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Lets sort the men from the boys.

How many honest push ups can you do currently?

Video evidence may be required!
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    How many days do i have? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • seanoconn
    daviesee wrote:
    How many days do i have? :wink:
    Maybe I should have been clearer :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    None - being British I do press ups instead

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • We also need to specify whether we're talking about the proper ones, where the hands are only shoulder width apart, or the wussy ones, where they're further out.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    We also need to specify whether we're talking about the proper ones, where the hands are only shoulder width apart, or the wussy ones, where they're further out.

Also each one has to take 3 seconds down, 3 seconds up or it doesn't count. Me? About 20 these days I think :oops: Never been able to do a single handed one either.
  • Pross wrote:
    Also each one has to take 3 seconds down, 3 seconds up or it doesn't count.
    :shock:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • seanoconn
    We also need to specify whether we're talking about the proper ones, where the hands are only shoulder width apart, or the wussy ones, where they're further out.
    Wussy ones. The body must be lowered until at least 90 degree-angle is attained at the elbow and the body is parralel to the ground. The body must then be raised until the arms are straight. This constitutes one push/press up.
  • seanoconn
    Pross wrote:

Also each one has to take 3 seconds down, 3 seconds up or it doesn't count.
    You can take as long as you like baby but I'm not hanging about.

If I count twice as many it's your tough luck! :wink:
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Probably about 40. Used to do 40 each morning - but now do 20/25.
  • Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    seanoconn wrote:
    Lets sort the men from the boys.

How many honest push ups can you do currently?

None. I'm too busy chopping down trees and rebuilding engines 'n' s**t to worry about aerobics!

/man

:wink:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I used to be able to do 70, with a record of 82. Currently I cannot do a single one due to my ankle.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Not a lot... got the skinny arms of a small girl (helps with cycling though right?)
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    As a kid I held the school record of 85 in a minute - nowadays at 47 years old if I can do 30 I am happy and knackered and in pain and regretting having too much to drink and therefore accepting the press up challenge and then I get told off by my wife for damaging my messed up shoulders even more.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    haven't tried it continuously for a while, currently doing 20-1min rest-20-rest-20-rest-20-rest-15-rest-15, from arms straight to nose/chin on floor. That takes me up to 110, this time last year it was better, up to about 140 but I get bored of it and stop, only to start again later.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    80 in 2 minutes - last army physical fitness test. then 70 sit ups in 2 mins followed by 1.5 miles in 10 minutes. Im 36 so im a bit slower on the run these days.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    edited January 2013
    Nuch the same as Steve - annual BFT: 82 press ups in 2 mins, 8:24 mile and a half, 80 sits up in 2 minutes.

The test is run one thing after another so you may get quite tired towards the end. But at the end of the day, its part of the job.
  • seanoconn
    Yossie wrote:
    Nuch the same as Steve - annual BFT: 82 press ups in 2 mins, 8:24 mile and a half, 80 sits up in 2 minutes.
    Video evidence required :wink:
  • seanoconn
    Fifty and improving :D
  • Yossie
    Google the Army 300 club - essentially its the maximum grades that you can get on your annual BFT: its pretty difficult (nothing massive though - deffo not IronMan standards) but a good thing to aim for to get all round fit.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Push ups? Do you mean the proper one handed ones like Sly Stallone does, or the wussy two handed ones that they do in the Parachute Regiment?
  • seanoconn
    Yossie wrote:
    Google the Army 300 club - essentially its the maximum grades that you can get on your annual BFT: its pretty difficult (nothing massive though - deffo not IronMan standards) but a good thing to aim for to get all round fit.
    Will do, thanks.
  • Yossie
    Capoera (sic) press ups are cool - arms spread well wide, as you go down you lean right across to one shoulder then t'other: to actually see what they are instead of my rubbish explanation, Google capoera, but be sure to spell it right not some retardo way I have. Its that Brazilian thing. Blokes who wear t shirts with no sleeves do it, but don't let that put you off, normal people do it as well.
  • Yossie wrote:

The test is run one thing after another so you may get quite tired towards the end. But at the end of the day, its part of the job.

I'll bring the tone back down to more human levels with my paltry 55 press ups, 50 sit ups and a 10:20 run time :p

is being a part timer an excuse?
  • seanoconn
    Yossie wrote:
    Capoera (sic) press ups are cool - arms spread well wide, as you go down you lean right across to one shoulder then t'other: to actually see what they are instead of my rubbish explanation, Google capoera, but be sure to spell it right not some retardo way I have. Its that Brazilian thing. Blokes who wear t shirts with no sleeves do it, but don't let that put you off, normal people do it as well.
    Erm. If I had the arms for it, I'd probably buy a sleeveless t-shirt....or wife beater vest :oops:
  • Can almost smell the testosterone.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Yossie
    MichaelW wrote:
    Push ups? Do you mean the proper one handed ones like Sly Stallone does, or the wussy two handed ones that they do in the Parachute Regiment?

2 armed - no one is as hard as Sly, no matter who they say they are/waht they do (apart from Chuck Norris that is - I understand that he does press ups using his tongue following a UN sanction aganst him using his arms as he was leaving craters in the ground and the world moving up and down on each press up was affecting global stability.

He started doing them using his beard but the static electricity that was generated was causing electromagnetic interference and everyone initially thought that there was a James Bond styleee baddie trying to take over the internet and get cheap things from John Lewis and Debenhams for their volcano hideaway).
  • seanoconn
    Can almost smell the testosterone.
    Mmmmmm. I love the smell of testosterone in the morning.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Yossie wrote:

Show off! :D My best was only ever 9:06...could never break 9mins
    Has it always been sit/press ups? Can remember....got out in '99.

Currently can do about 60...just to exhaustion so no time limit
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I just did 300 of these as a pre-bed workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpH0Ymiri8g
  • I just did 300 of these as a pre-bed workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpH0Ymiri8g

Oh dear. Just tried that little exercise. The muscles went taught and there is no way that is possible for me. I'll stick to lifting the kids and pints.