Happy New Year - New topics to Bicker About?

2»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    prawny wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    I've got no clue about child benefit actually. How much is it worth to someone a month?

Me either and I get it!

We need it though. Although probably only to keep up with the benefit non working types that live round here that all have better cars, holidays and TVs than me. If we didn't get child benefit I'd just make sacrifices to make ends meet. I'd miss the poor litle beggars though :twisted:

£20.30 per week for the eldest and £13.40 per week each other.

So for a family with 2 kids that £1752 a year.

A months take home pay for someone on £30k a year (give or take)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Where's CIB? He normally posts sensible stuff in these discussions...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Child benefit is an easy target, obviously plenty get it that dont *need* it, and use it just to add to their dispoable income. Personally I would say scrap it. Should it leave families in need, then money can be made available by other means - family tax credit etc. That way only those in real need get the help and support that they *really* require.

The whole tax/benefits systems needs a dam good overhaul. The rich/corporates avoid tax while the lazy poor (there are those in real need) find it better to be on benefit than actively seek work.

The amount of benefit that must be wasted on drug addicts, criminals and DHS fraudsters simply beggers belief. I am all in favour of a caring, sharing society, but in some area's we need to toughen up.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Trouble is we have too many benefits that are so fiendishly complex they cost almost as much to administer as the amount they give out, so while simplifying the criteria may be a backward step to some, it at least means more of the budgets goes to those who get the benfits and less to civil servants!

For the record, the argument about combined income was allegedly so that couples weren't forced to reveal to each other what they earnt, which is somewhat dubious given the number of situations were they have to anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The amount of benefit that must be wasted on drug addicts, criminals and DHS fraudsters simply beggers belief. I am all in favour of a caring, sharing society, but in some area's we need to toughen up.

Go on then I'll bite.

So Wallace what do you suppose would happen if we were to withdraw all support to say drug addicts?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Trouble is we have too many benefits that are so fiendishly complex they cost almost as much to administer as the amount they give out, so while simplifying the criteria may be a backward step to some, it at least means more of the budgets goes to those who get the benfits and less to civil servants!

For the record, the argument about combined income was allegedly so that couples weren't forced to reveal to each other what they earnt, which is somewhat dubious given the number of situations were they have to anyway!

My best mate made an interesting suggestion some time ago. Every adult in the UK gets a citizens allowance. EVERY adult, whether working or not; and that's it.

It would be enough to keep you, but if you want anything more you have to earn it. Flat rate income tax so everything is the same (no NI: all integrated). So one tax, one benefit. That would remove a MASSIVE administration cost in one fell swoop and remove a huge amount of civil servants at the same time again reducing the cost of government.

It also means no pensions: you keep the allowance until you die. Again: if you want more you can set aside your own pot or keep working. Your choice.

I personally thought that there was some mileage in this.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ^^ so what happens if the citizen's circumstances change or they have used up their allowance?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The amount of benefit that must be wasted on drug addicts, criminals and DHS fraudsters simply beggers belief. I am all in favour of a caring, sharing society, but in some area's we need to toughen up.

Go on then I'll bite.

So Wallace what do you suppose would happen if we were to withdraw all support to say drug addicts?

I dont have a total answer to the issue, if I did I would be a politician! However, I see lots of folk round Glasgow that spend their state aid on drugs and the like. Is that a good way to spend our tax's? As I mentioned some kind of earned benefit might just help some of these people get off the habit and become contributors to society rather than just leeches. Maybe proving they are trying to kick the habit, attending counselling, workshops, help groups. Yes, cutting their benefit completely would force then to turn to crime further (most probably are involved in some kind of crime anyway over and above the drug misuse)

I am sure that you are not happy that your money gets spend on drug users and benefit fraudsters and that many do not contribute fully to society.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns
    ^^ so what happens if the citizen's circumstances change or they have used up their allowance?

Allowance = benefit. As in everyone gets a certain amount of money a month. Say £15K PA (as an example NOT a suggested amount)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • ^^ so what happens if the citizen's circumstances change or they have used up their allowance?

Allowance = benefit. As in everyone gets a certain amount of money a month. Say £15K PA (as an example NOT a suggested amount)

So how do you deal with somebody that is born with a birth defect, or has an accident which means that they can't work and require support that would cost more than an average allowance?
  • Kieran_Burns
    dunno - run with it....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Go on then I'll bite.

No money for drugs = rehabilitation = problem solved!

/s
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't even need child benefit

Need?

If you still are eligible for this 'benefit' and don't feel you 'need' the money what you should to TODAY is set up an saving account/ISA and pay in the equivalent sum each month....

18 years of child benefit would be a pot of c£20k when DDD minor is due to start university.

An alternative suggestion is to phone up HMRC and agree what your personal allowance 'should' be to reflect what you 'need'. This option may only be open to foreign coffee shop owners.....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    This might adjust the usual race to blame "scroungers"

The two biggest chunks by far are State Pensions (£74bn) and Tax Credits (£30bn). The latter is mostly paid to low income working families, so not exactly scroungers, or not contributing fully. The spending on each of the other benefits is tiny in comparison.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:

The two biggest chunks by far are State Pensions (£74bn) and Tax Credits (£30bn). The latter is mostly paid to low income working families, so not exactly scroungers, or not contributing fully. The spending on each of the other benefits is tiny in comparison.
    Tis true. Also most housing benefit goes to people in work.

If we really want to reduce the benefits bill, the solution is to raise the minimum wage to £15 per hour.
  • rjsterry wrote:

If we really want to reduce the benefits bill, the solution is to raise the minimum wage to £15 per hour.

Or kill off all the old people... :twisted:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I fear that if this was implemented we'd rapidly run into the wall of unintended consequences.

I tihnk a more realistic approach would be large scale building projects of high density housing blocks around cities. Think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_in_Hong_Kong. Sucks, but there you go.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,960
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I fear that if this was implemented we'd rapidly run into the wall of unintended consequences.

I tihnk a more realistic approach would be large scale building projects of high density housing blocks around cities. Think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_in_Hong_Kong. Sucks, but there you go.
    Can I suggest that you visit Springburn and have a bit of a re-think? The "unintended consequences" of your proposal would by the plethora of concentrated and self perpetuating social problems. Its been tried. In lots of UK citites. It was a disaster.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    you lot have changed.....

where have the arguments gone about helmets and Mr Armstrong?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    mudcow007 wrote:
    you lot have changed.....

where has the commentary on Armstrong's helmet gone?

Filth.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    rjsterry wrote:

Or kill off all the old people... :twisted:

And the sick, and the ill, and anyone unemployed, anyone needing medical help, and anyone convicted of or cautioned for a criminal offence, politicians, thosewith an IQ below 100 or with an IQ above 150 and anyone else I have forgotten
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Can I suggest that you visit Springburn and have a bit of a re-think? The "unintended consequences" of your proposal would by the plethora of concentrated and self perpetuating social problems. Its been tried. In lots of UK citites. It was a disaster.
    I take your springburn & raise you the barbican estate.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Do you think the Barbican estate would be in the state it is now if it was social housing populated by people moved out of slums?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    jds_1981 wrote:
    The last time I walked through the Barbican estate, I didn't get the feeling that a junkie would jump out at me any minute, jab me with a hypodermic syringe and steal everything and the shirt off my back. Only the possibility that a bearded culture vulture might whack me over the head with a theatre brochure for walking straight past the art gallery without visiting.

There are infamous tower blocks in Glasgow where the postmen refused to deliver letters and the police wouldn't enter without riot gear as standard procedure!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    kelsen wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    The last time I walked through the Barbican estate, I didn't get the feeling that a junkie would jump out at me any minute, jab me with a hypodermic syringe and steal everything and the shirt off my back. There are tower blocks in Glasgow where the postmen refused to deliver letters and the police wouldn't enter without riot gear as standard procedure!

and those are the nice parts...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Um, The Barbican was built as middle class/young professional housing from the start. There is a waiting list to get in there. A slum it is not, unless you are talking about some other Barbican.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition