Happy New Year - New topics to Bicker About?

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Well the first commute of the year is over.

The days are getting longer, summer is nearly here and all is well with the world.

What silly topic are we going to bicker about today instead of working
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    spen666 wrote:
    The days are getting longer, summer is nearly here and all is well with the world.
    People seem to get depressed in January, but personally I really like this time of the year. Like you say the days are getting longer, and it'll be spring soon enough!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I cant wait for the summer! it will be here before we know it and then we will be moaning that winter will be on its way.

Enjoy each day as it comes.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Bah.

Humbug.

I want FREEZING cold weather. I've got the Marathon Winters fitted to the tricross and want to use them in anger.

I want -10 in the morning. I want cars skidding off the road (with all occupants safely recovered and minimal damage to property) while I bubble-wrap past.

I want to turn up to work and everyone else who made it in look at me like I'm some kind of lunatic while I try and stop sweating.

By the way can ice spike tyres get you across frozen ponds? Just asking....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Can we grumble how like my plants, the lack of sleet and ice hasn't killed off* the nodders?

*Not literally of course...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • spen666
    Bah.

Humbug.

I want FREEZING cold weather. I've got the Marathon Winters fitted to the tricross and want to use them in anger.

I want -10 in the morning. I want cars skidding off the road (with all occupants safely recovered and minimal damage to property) while I bubble-wrap past.

I want to turn up to work and everyone else who made it in look at me like I'm some kind of lunatic while I try and stop sweating.

From what I understand its not just people at work and its not due to your cycling either

Twittering @spen_666
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Probably depends how thick. The ice that is. When significantly younger (and thicker) I did ride my bike across a frozen pond without spikes. I didn't fall through, but it f@cking hurt when I fell off. made a great noise though.
  • spen666 wrote:
    I have never found David Jason amusing or entertaining - except in Danger Mouse.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Probably depends how thick. The ice that is. When significantly younger (and thicker) I did ride my bike across a frozen pond without spikes. I didn't fall through, but it f@cking hurt when I fell off. made a great noise though.

Never actually tried a pond, but have been across veeeery large frozen puddles without a problem. Much the same, but not as scary if the ice breaks.
  • spen666
    spen666 wrote:
    I have never found David Jason amusing or entertaining - except in Danger Mouse.
    Plenty of people will agree with you sir

Twittering @spen_666
  • rubertoe
    Not me.

Have you not seen Count Duckula?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Losing child benefit, nothing wrong with it as long as its fair. But miffed that my colleague and his Mrs who have a joint salary almost double ours keep theirs.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I don't understand whether we've lost my child benefit or not.

Not sure what is going on, seems unfair though....

Edit just read up a little more:

So, if one parent earns more than £60,000 they lose their child benefit.

If both parents earn £49,000 they keep the entire child benefit.

So what if one parent is £40,000+ and the other parent is on £35,000? A household income of around £75,000?

The current crop of politicians are fucking weak man... They lack the real depth, real world experience and any real sense of intelligence gained from fucking living as oppose to be raised in fucking bubbles where they are allowed to sneer at what they perceive as underlings. I don't even need child benefit but if I am to lose it at least make the process fucking sensible. CUNTS.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

If you earn over £60k its gone. Every £100 over £50k you lose 1%. Its also the hassle of having to fill in a self assessment which I have never had to do before. I don't mind losing part of it as long as its fair, but I don't think a household on a lower income should be paying taxes to benefit a family on a much higher income.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If you earn over £60k its gone. Every £100 over £50k you lose 1%. Its also the hassle of having to fill in a self assessment which I have never had to do before. I don't mind losing part of it as long as its fair, but I don't think a household on a lower income should be paying taxes to benefit a family on a much higher income.
    I agree, I don't mind losing it. It helps but it isn't essential, if I did lose it or part of it then I would like to see a small portion of mine go to advantage those with less but that isn't happening it appears.

What I think is disgusting is that it doesn't take into consideration joint income families. So a household taking £49,000k each will get the full wack, whereas as a single Mum earning £60 gets nothing. I would argue that the Mum needs it more and just because she earns less, but because psychologically it's a form of help and support.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I agree, I don't mind losing it. It helps but it isn't essential, if I did lose it or part of it then I would like to see a small portion of mine go to advantage those with less but that isn't happening it appears.

What I think is disgusting is that it doesn't take into consideration joint income families. So a household taking £49,000k each will get the full wack, whereas as a single Mum earning £60 gets nothing. I would argue that the Mum needs it more and just because she earns less, but because psychologically it's a form of help and support.

Its all a bit back to front. I 've also just heard my council tax is going up, we already have one of the highest rates in the country. The rail fare increase is the only thing that's not ticking me off at the moment as its just more of an insentive to jump on the bike on these dark cold mornings. You can't beat a good old moan.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    January sucks.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Not merely content with world domination, Tesco for 2013 has gone and removed one of the California rolls from their £1 fish variety sushi pack and replaced it with a poxy little hosomaki!

Evil profit-grabbing f*ckers! :evil:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    That reminds me. Why did supermarkets stop selling frangipanes??
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Edit just read up a little more:

So, if one parent earns more than £60,000 they lose their child benefit.

If both parents earn £49,000 they keep the entire child benefit.

So what if one parent is £40,000+ and the other parent is on £35,000? A household income of around £75,000?

The current crop of politicians are ******* weak man... They lack the real depth, real world experience and any real sense of intelligence gained from ******* living as oppose to be raised in ******* bubbles where they are allowed to sneer at what they perceive as underlings. I don't even need child benefit but if I am to lose it at least make the process ******* sensible. *****.

It's a bodge: paying it to everyone is difficult to justify; the cost of full means testing as with tax credits would negate the savings, hence the sort of means tested-ish mess we have. They'll have to do the same for Winter Fuel Allowance in the next parliament, which'll be fun to watch. Why they can't roll child benefit into tax credits I don't know.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Had to use up my holidays over xmas now i've to make excuses to get to interviews! :x

Where's the snow?

When are the new year resolution brigade going to get out the way?

Why are car insurance companies allowed to take the pish?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    rubertoe wrote:
    Not me.

Little known fact alert!

Count duckula is actually a spin off from danger mouse, saw the episode once, duckula was a baddie, blew my tiny mind.

Also Rick, frangipanes are plentiful in the midlands, pfft London is so backwards.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    That reminds me. Why did supermarkets stop selling frangipanes??

I have a mental picture of Marcel Proust in red trousers frowning at a bag of 10 Tesco value doughnuts.

As to Spen's question, the topic du jour amongst my colleagues was the handball rule in Soccer. Fortunately no-one wanted to discuss England's lack-lustre performance yesterday in Delhi.
  • prawny wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Not me.

Little known fact alert!

Count duckula is actually a spin off from danger mouse, saw the episode once, duckula was a baddie, blew my tiny mind.

Also Rick, frangipanes are plentiful in the midlands, pfft London is so backwards.
    I must admit I thought that everyone knew this. But then a lot of people seem to think that Only Fools and Horses is "funny".
  • prawny
    To be fair, I did think there was a good chance it wasn't a little known fact on here :lol: but I've never met a normal person (non cyclist) that knew this.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My view about the Civil List
  • rubertoe
    prawny wrote:
    To be fair, I did think there was a good chance it wasn't a little known fact on here :lol: but I've never met a normal person (non cyclist) that knew this.

Duckula wears Dangermouse PJ's.

• notsoblue
    Why should people with decent jobs get child benefit at all?

;)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Any benefit should be in place to support those who need the support. According to the IFS, c.80% of households earn less than £50k PA - so it really is the richest supporting the poorest.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/wheredoyoufitin/ if you want to have a look for yourself.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • notsoblue
    I've got no clue about child benefit actually. How much is it worth to someone a month?
  • prawny
    notsoblue wrote:
    I've got no clue about child benefit actually. How much is it worth to someone a month?

Me either and I get it!

We need it though. Although probably only to keep up with the benefit non working types that live round here that all have better cars, holidays and TVs than me. If we didn't get child benefit I'd just make sacrifices to make ends meet. I'd miss the poor litle beggars though :twisted:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017