AICAR / France 2

2»

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    (Anybody know where I can buy some...?)

Just get a on the skag, that seems to be quite slimming, although Harry Hill did say the trouble with it is 'it's a bit moreish'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,542
    Personally the only current riders who I cant be doing with on that front, are 2 who've both been done, sanctioned and returned to the sport still denying everything - Bertie and Valverde.

This is a really common opinion and one that I don't understand. Rather than object to the riders that have got away with it (Merckx, Kelly, Roche, Riis, Vaughters, Hincapie, Kloden... to name but a few from probably the longest list in cycling) and are still profiting from the sport, you object to the ones that were punished? They both received the full I-didn't-admit-to-it punishment, not the half-hearted reduced Di Luca, Zabriskie etc sentence.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Personally the only current riders who I cant be doing with on that front, are 2 who've both been done, sanctioned and returned to the sport still denying everything - Bertie and Valverde.

This is a really common opinion and one that I don't understand. Rather than object to the riders that have got away with it (Merckx, Kelly, Roche, Riis, Vaughters, Hincapie, Kloden... to name but a few from probably the longest list in cycling) and are still profiting from the sport, you object to the ones that were punished? They both received the full I-didn't-admit-to-it punishment, not the half-hearted reduced Di Luca, Zabriskie etc sentence.

...and that in itself is also one that, whilst I understand where you're coming from, wouldn't be my point of view... maybe in a way that explains that to your logic would be that I don't like 'people who are plain cheats, have got caught, then moan and groan and effectively get away lightly'. In AC's case that's also based in the fact that 6months off its 1/4 of what he should have had, let alone everything else he's got away with.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    TheBigBean wrote:

There's a few simple things you're overlooking there:

1) Valverde and Contador are still riding and are still very much competitive and winning events. Therefore they're more likely to come up in discussions in the present day than someone who was competitive 10, 20, 30 or 40 years ago.

2) The concept of the 'plea-bargain' precludes any finger pointing or suggestions of half-heartedness in the cases of Di Luca and Zabriskie. It's a simple concept practiced in many legal and quasi-legal jurisdictions - for good reasons too.
  • German website deutschefunk.de is reporting that scientists at the Cologne Centre for Preventative Doping Research have developed a successful test for the banned substance AICAR

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/16008 ... AICAR.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest