AICAR / France 2

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2013 in Pro race
Report on AICAR usage tonight - Test coming shortly.

It seems there was a lot of nudge nudge, wink wink type of talk in it. Summarised nicely by inrng

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/287975754355056641
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,543
    Forgive my ignorance - is AICAR some sort of drug?
  • iainf72
    Yes, a currently undetectable one that amongst other thing promotes significant weight loss.

When it first emerged a lot of riders looked very very lean
  • iainf72
    Here's some decent background on it

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/11395 ... lance.aspx
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Can you still lose weight by eating less food? Because if not the New Year diet is screwed already.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Presumably the test could be used retrospectively? Obviously pro riders and usually pure climbers have always been lean but can't think of many in the last couple of years particularly standing out as taking things to a new level apart from the inrng.com intimation.
  • Some shots of David Millar look Wiggo-esque - REALLY skinny and long legs and body - and have since Wiggo left the track after 08
  • Seems to be a bit of confusion. I saw one cycling journo tweet last week that he thought a test was already developed for this, and also Daniel Friebe's just tweeted that he thought one had been developed in 2011
  • Further to Zammmmo's post, in general to what extent do authorities test retrospectively, I assume all samples are held for future use? I must confess things like blood values or testing procedures are things I know nothing about.

I recall reading whispers about USADA having Armstrong samples that were re tested.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,543
    zammmmo wrote:
    Presumably the test could be used retrospectively?

It could be and should be, but they only take two samples:A and B, and A will already have been used.

Personally, I think they should take three samples, and re-test everyone a set number of years later, but that wouldn't be very popular with the pros - like the LA stuff.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    What, so they use the entire sample to do the test? Surely not?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yes, a currently undetectable one that amongst other thing promotes significant weight loss.

When was this? Need to fire up youtube and have a look.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    zammmmo wrote:
    Presumably the test could be used retrospectively?

It could be and should be, but they only take two samples:A and B, and A will already have been used.

Personally, I think they should take three samples, and re-test everyone a set number of years later, but that wouldn't be very popular with the pros - like the LA stuff.

I wonder how it worked with the re-testing of the 100 samples from the Athens Olympics that they did last year, with 5 coming up positive? I last heard that was being discussed by the IOC.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

When was this? Need to fire up youtube and have a look.

I remember at the time a couple of brothers were noted as looking exceptionally thin.
  • rick_chasey
    Hmm.

Can't say I noticed. They always look pretty damn thin. A totally-not-exact google image search puts them as thin as any other year prior....

I guess that year points mainly to one bloke right?

Corrolation, not necessarily causation obviously.

*ahem*
  • Whilst at Garmin...hardly credible, is it, never mind any other consideration
  • rick_chasey
    Whilst at Garmin...hardly credible, is it, never mind any other consideration

It's an unfortunate corrolation you'll agree though.
  • Makes an unfortunate roundel target.

After consideration I've decided that I'm bloody glad that I would never have had even the smallest percentage of talent, mental strength, physiology, skillz - well, anything that's needed basically - to become a top pro and win the Tour. I couldnt cope with all the crap off the bike that goes along with being a Tour winner right now.
  • rick_chasey
    Makes an unfortunate roundel target.

After consideration I've decided that I'm bloody glad that I would never have had even the smallest percentage of talent, mental strength, physiology, skillz - well, anything that's needed basically - to become a top pro and win the Tour. I couldnt cope with all the crap off the bike that goes along with being a Tour winner right now.

Professional sports eh?

You gets what you gets paid for.

Professional sports eh?

Show me another popular global sport where its like this
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    how do you pronounce AICAR?

Ay-CAR Ayce-R what?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    how do you pronounce AICAR?

Ay-CAR Ayce-R what?

Prepping for the office chat tomorrow? ;).
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

The sport and riders havn't exactly helped themselved have they? All the questions now are a direct result of two decades of drug abuse and lies. Basically, tough sh*t. Or shall we just brush everything back under the carpet?

The sport and riders havn't exactly helped themselved have they? All the questions now are a direct result of two decades of drug abuse and lies. Basically, tough sh*t. Or shall we just brush everything back under the carpet?

Dont put words in my mouth. The sport has brought this on itself. I just couldnt cope with it myself. OK?
  • Can you not understand the frustration of riders who get accused on absolutely no evidence though?

Some on here are already trying to hang Wiggins on the basis of a documentary about a drug there is currently no evidence to link him to other than him having a breakout year at the same time it may have been in use.

I've no problem with allegations based on evidence but it really frustrates me to see riders subject to innuendo based on nothing at all. Any rider.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey

Professional sports eh?

Show me another popular global sport where its like this

Every sport has its own baggage to a degree.

I'm sure the millions in your bank and the memories of the champs elysees would soften the blow.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Can you not understand the frustration of riders who get accused on absolutely no evidence though?

Some on here are already trying to hang Wiggins on the basis of a documentary about a drug there is currently no evidence to link him to other than him having a breakout year at the same time it may have been in use.

I've no problem with allegations based on evidence but it really frustrates me to see riders subject to innuendo based on nothing at all. Any rider.

Of course I can see the frustration! Nobody likes being accused of things they havn't done. Thing is that statement about Brad works both ways, yes theres some who want to see the back of him, others who are suspicious, but there also some on here who 90% of their time talk about dopers/doping/cheating with such strong anti-doping views until of course it concerns somebody they like, and then of course it becomes 'a load of crap surrounding the sport' or 'twitter taliban' or 'guesswork' or the like.

TBH I'm sick of the talk of Wiggins and accusations of him doping, I don't believe them for one minute, not rationally anyway, but I'm a little sick of all the knee-jerk reaction, holier than thou, twitter taliban talk as well or the complete jump from vocal anti-doping to 'omg, why are they accusing Brad, omg this is so unfair, these people are animals'
  • Personally the only current riders who I cant be doing with on that front, are 2 who've both been done, sanctioned and returned to the sport still denying everything - Bertie and Valverde. So here's a bit of a differentiator - they've been done and they remain in denial.

But I really dont want to do off one about them now because it gets very tedious very quickly.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If and when there's anything pinned solidly against a rider then things become an issue, before that people who sort of 'believe' in people are the ones who enter the discussions and go on the defensive etc. I suppose though that just like any sport, most fans are those who have heroes, there's all the Sky fancy-dressers at the moment for example... myself I really enjoy watching and following cycling but don't have a single hero, don't need to, can absolutely love it without idolising anyone. (I suppose that's why I see cheats as cheating every single clean cyclist from their right to compete in a fair sport as well as cheating everyone who follows cycling from viewing a clean sport).

Telmisartan is very interesting as is Aicar, I would assume its been quite prevalent in the last few years. I wouldn't join an opinion that just because someone looks so skinny its because of a drug that's just had its media presence upped, that would be stupid.

I would expect it likely that some high profile people could be exposed for using this group of drugs this year though.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Can you not understand the frustration of riders who get accused on absolutely no evidence though?

hardly surprising thou..

I doubt wiggo or a host of other skinnys are on this gear, doesn't amount to much this story TbH.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The problem with all this is where do we stop? Inferring that somebody is a doper because they suddenly start winning loads or climbing much better is one thing, inferring it because they lost some weight...it's a slippery slope.

You don't become a pro cyclist without being extremely dedicated, and losing weight is all about dedication.

I'm not saying that Tom, Dick or even Bradley didn't dope, just that to me this sounds a bit premature, though no doubt some will have convicted him in their own mind already.

(Anybody know where I can buy some...?)
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)