what camera do you use

Comments

• Have you considered a used DSLR? Canon 400Ds don't go for a lot these days, you can still take great pictures with them, and if it gets damaged on a ride, it's not quite as heartbreaking as ruining something like a brand new 600D.

I've tried bridge cameras before, I had one prior to my SLR. They just strike me as a poor compromise between a compact and a full-blown SLR, I would rather have one or the other, or ideally both.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Use a Cannon DSLR when I can. Too cumbersome to take out on a bike.

Find the camera on my iPhone 4S good enough to use when out cycling.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I have a D5100 with four different lenses but I would be very hesitant to take it on the trail with me. I've been using a DSLR for a few years now and would never go back to a regular point and shoot if I was taking photos I wanted to keep. I take with me a Samsung compact that does HD video though. And yes the iPhone camera is normally more than adequate.

My flickr photostream is here if anyone is interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossmiller/

Theres some of mountain mayhem 2010 taken with a D40 before I knew what I was really doing.
  • I decided to use my mobile instead of my compact (Canon S90) on a 4 day ride. I got away with it, but the pictures are no match for what the compact produces. Good compromise I reckon using a semi decent compact.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Canon 7D added to the above list can not wait to use it-charging battery now
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Echoing skooters point. A camera for taking out on the trails while riding is different from the one you want to take to an event.

Personally I think the bridge camera's are good for neither, too bulky for stashing and too inflexible for sports events (no lens choice, small sensors etc). Although I'm sure decent ones exist that can get you by.

Big fan of the S90/100/110 series for portability, although the sony rx100 would get my money for the bigger sensor; and it may even substitute a DSLR for landscapes once you get to the top.

If your a pure minimalist, the Nokia 808 is worth a look as well... good GPS (for a phone) and stunning picture quality (for a camera!).
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • If I'm taking stills I always use a canon 40d, and I carry 3 lenses. This is the £1000 DSLR situation. It isn't easy to carry but in my opinion compacts don't have a scratch on the quality and creativity achievable using a fully manual DSLR.
  • People have been taking action photos for more than 100 years. Long before autofocus, motor wind, auto exposure and instant reviewing on a screen. To say a bridge camera couldn't take bike photos is simply plain wrong.

I am a professional photographer and shoot action sports using a camera designed for landscapes and portraits. It is slow and clunky, but at the time, Sony didn't have anything better. Take a look at my website (http://www.nickwebster.com) and most of it is shot on my Sony A900s. Great action photography is more about anticipation than rattling-off as many pictures at possible hoping there are one or two half-decent ones in there.
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    To say a bridge camera couldn't take bike photos is simply plain wrong.

Who said that bridge cameras can't take bike photos?
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    cgarossi wrote:
    I have a D5100 with four different lenses but I would be very hesitant to take it on the trail with me. I've been using a DSLR for a few years now and would never go back to a regular point and shoot if I was taking photos I wanted to keep. I take with me a Samsung compact that does HD video though. And yes the iPhone camera is normally more than adequate.

My flickr photostream is here if anyone is interested. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossmiller/

Theres some of mountain mayhem 2010 taken with a D40 before I knew what I was really doing.

Love that HDR Sunset :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • I tried using my Samsung S2 camera on a 4 day ride recently. The photos looked pretty good on its screen. When I got home and looked on the PC then the photos weren't too bad but clearly no way as good as what my S90 Canon compact produces. I managed to tart them up with 10% changes in lightness and saturation. The phone was not a disaster but good to know that the bulkier compact is worth it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    camera on my blackberry smart phone its pretty shit thinks its only about 3MP or something.

uselly the only thing I have on me wherever I go
  • unigeezer
    unigeezer Posts: 39
    attached my Canon HV30 to my cable cam setup using 24fps "cinema" mode. Pretty nice film-like quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvmCrD9WH8E
  • JDFcz
    JDFcz Posts: 30
    Nikon D700
    Nikkor 35mm f/1,4 AF-S
    Nikkor 70-200 f/2,8 VR
    Tokina 17mm f/3,5

020.jpg

021.jpg

45-big.jpg

37-big.jpg

36-big.jpg

27-big.jpg

25-big.jpg

28-big.jpg

001.jpg

10-big.jpg

9-big.jpg
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    used to have a 5D2 with too many lenses - had to sell it all when I became unemployed a couple of years ago. only really use an iphone now although I do have access to a 40D when ever I want. Posted a few up in a new thread
  • Thouands wort of canon 5 dmk2 and lenses.and a canon sis bridge.
  • Now a subject I can comment about.. :)

I've been using a dslr now for over 7 years and I can honestly say that with the right settings with the proper basic photography skills, any camera can take great images. It's like riding, down to the user and there skill with the equipment. I'll always use a dslr when I want a "certain" image and you need the right lens and settings to achieve that "style". But I'll go out with that purpose and take the time to get that image.

But when I'm out on my bike, I want to ride, always have a camera, just in case. But the one on my mobile will do. Plus as it's a little slower, in darker areas, the mobile phone is pretty good at panning as you get naturally a longer shutter speed.

I can honestly say that with basic photography skills and a camera witch gives you come control over the exposure settings, you'll get so amazing results.

The best camera in the world is the one that you have when that magic moment happens. So many times I've been gutted because I didn't have any form of camera with me.

By the way I have a Canon 7d with various lenses and flashes. A Panasonic Lumix LX5 and the one on my phone and I've got great images with them all.
  • Hi!
    I'm using two Drift 720HD cameras, usually one attached to the helmet and another to the seat post. They are miles away from a 1080 cam, but provide a sufficient quality and great picture stability for a rather small price.
    Here's a preview, shot in the "Monsanto" park, in Lisbon, Portugal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5q1xRmB0V0

_

Rui
  • I use a GoPro 3 hero, this is my channel trailer

http://youtu.be/CL7tmHc5eAw

enjoy
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I use a Sony A580 DSLR... which is actually my second Sony DSLR. Tired various Canons and Nikons in the same range and none of them could compete, and full frame is not for me. It's seen criminal lack of use lately though... due to work, weather, family and having too many other hobbies! Not so recent pics in the Flickr link in my sig ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I just got round to using an actioncam for the first time today! Video coming up. Really impressed with the SJ1000....decent quality for a £50 chinese camera!

I bought a Canon 600D a few weeks ago and just working out how to use it :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Should've bought a Nikon - they're cooler and Nikon owners are more well endowed... :wink:
  • I use a. Nikon d7100, it's insured, so really doesn't bother me taking a £1000 camera riding, I take it most places so it's no different to me
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Hello all, new to the forum, so I figured this is the best place to start.
    So...I shoot with D3 and D800 bodies.
    Lenses are Nikon 50mm 1.4, Nikon 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-200 2.8 and the giant Sigma 150-500.
    I use 2 Canon flashes and a Metz, synced by Hahnel Tx/Rx and below are some examples. :)
    13492064425_40380a1cd6_z.jpg
    13409367503_b4c23204cb_z.jpg
    13350745285_d0a0ccb588.jpg
    13196334053_640a37053d.jpg
    12996129754_774fdfb71c.jpg
    12563828223_c0e23faaeb.jpg
  • Sam4King
    Sam4King Posts: 3
    I use the GoPro Hero 1
    Check my videos out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur-OVAO ... j6&index=2
  • For action cams I have a copy of the sj4000 which is of course a copy itself. It's ok as a dash cam but the frame capture rate struggles in anything but good natural light. the sticky pads that come with it also ruined the dash in my new car. Also have the hero 4 for when I'm serious. So, unused.
    Handheld wise I bought the Nikon cool pix 15 megapixel bridge camera which again is ok in good conditions but the flash is dire and its rubbish in artificial light, particularly fluorescents. I have a 15 year old 3.2 megapixel Olympus handheld that takes infinitely better pics and is just the right size for a camelback. Also pretty cheap second hand do if it gets smashed I can get another from eBay for about £20.
  • Canon G7X, good camera with decent Sony 1" sensor.
  • Now a subject I can comment about.. :)

I've been using a dslr now for over 7 years and I can honestly say that with the right settings with the proper basic photography skills, any camera can take great images. It's like riding, down to the user and there skill with the equipment. I'll always use a dslr when I want a "certain" image and you need the right lens and settings to achieve that "style". But I'll go out with that purpose and take the time to get that image.
    airwheel q3 unicycle
    But when I'm out on my bike, I want to ride, always have a camera, just in case. But the one on my mobile will do. Plus as it's a little slower, in darker areas, the mobile phone is pretty good at panning as you get naturally a longer shutter speed.

I can honestly say that with basic photography skills and a camera witch gives you come control over the exposure settings, you'll get so amazing results.

The best camera in the world is the one that you have when that magic moment happens. So many times I've been gutted because I didn't have any form of camera with me.

By the way I have a Canon 7d with various lenses and flashes. A Panasonic Lumix LX5 and the one on my phone and I've got great images with them all.

Gotta say I'm definitely jealous of your Canon 7d :wink: I used to work in a Best Buy and the camera section was by far the most interesting section. With the modern dslr's, you don't have to have much shooting knowledge in order to take incredible photos. You made some very good points, not about what you have but where you are/who you're with!
  • Go pro is the way forward here is a description to the latest release

HERO4 Black takes Emmy® Award-winning GoPro performance to the next level with our best image quality yet, plus a 2x more powerful processor1 that delivers super slow motion at 240 frames per second. Incredible high-resolution 4K30 and 2.7K60 video combines with 1080p120 and 720p240 slow motion to enable stunning, immersive footage of you and your world. Protune™ settings for both photos and video unlock manual control of Color, ISO Limit, Exposure and more. Waterproof to 131’ (40m) with 12MP photos at 30 frames per second and improved audio,1 HERO4 Black is the ultimate life-capture solution for those who demand the best
  • i use a good camera. I use a Nikon d3000. its awesome i am happy use this camera.