I saw the most epic bike today

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hmmmm, I hear jealousy speaking.

Once you get to a certain age (probably about 30 - I guess you are rather younger than that) most people have grown out of wanting cars like Lamborghinis (particularly in matt black - you realise that 95% of people are looking at you and thinking 'tool'. Anyone trying that hard to flash their cash can't be taken too seriously. It isn't jealousy - trust me! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

Once you get to a certain age (probably about 30 - I guess you are rather younger than that) most people have grown out of wanting cars like Lamborghinis (particularly in matt black - you realise that 95% of people are looking at you and thinking 'tool'. Anyone trying that hard to flash their cash can't be taken too seriously. It isn't jealousy - trust me! :lol:

Eh,everyone who thinks the same as you. Some people like it, some don't. I personally think flash cars are great, and know plenty of older gentleman who think the same.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Eh,everyone who thinks the same as you. Some people like it, some don't. I personally think flash cars are great, and know plenty of older gentleman who think the same.

There is a big difference between liking them and actually going out and buying one. Still, if you must, stick to gloss paintwork, standard wheels and whatever you do, don't get an open top one. Those truly are tragic :lol:
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    A big part of my job is driving a collection of super cars around mallorca (I am lucky I know) But I must admit I was a fair petrol head before I got this job. I have driven just about every supercar made over the last 7 years and have to say I now dont hate cars but I certainly dont like them like I used to. I think its a case of dont meet your heros.

I understand the element of people thinking big car small c0ck and there are plenty here in mallorca of those for sure. I do not own the cars I drive, and do not have a massive c0ck :roll:

Out of all the cars my favourite to drive was the Ferrari 599 or S65 AMG Limo. Worst Ferrari 458 and Mini Cooper S "auto" terrible gearbox.

Back on topic though That venge frame really was something.
    The shop is caldenty just past the aquerium in palma.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't think it's excessive at all, depends on what it feels like imo, no good if's a bad ride. If it feels dead and gives you an unexciting ride, doesn't matter what name is on the downtube or how much it costs, I wouldn't buy it.
  • giant man wrote:
    I don't think it's excessive at all, depends on what it feels like imo, no good if's a bad ride. If it feels dead and gives you an unexciting ride, doesn't matter what name is on the downtube or how much it costs, I wouldn't buy it.

Exactly this, people seem to forget that excessive is all relative, if someone earns 10,000 a month then why not spend more getting a bike when they can afford it. For them it is not excessive, it's like us buying a 2k bike.

I think people just need to stop worrying so much about how much other people spend.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Rolf F wrote:
    Venges are a bit like Honda NSXs - you can't help but admire them but there's really no soul to them. It's not a bike I'd give a second glance to (infact, I'd quite possibly not notice it in the first place!).

Someone has never driven an NSX...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rolf_f
    Grill wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Venges are a bit like Honda NSXs - you can't help but admire them but there's really no soul to them. It's not a bike I'd give a second glance to (infact, I'd quite possibly not notice it in the first place!).

Very true - and if I did I suspect I'd find it rather better than the Italian stuff. But even if it has mobile soul, parked it has none! A supercar really does need to have something about it when it isn't moving and the NSX does little more for me than an Accord in that respect. Mind you, I think they have aged fairly well.
  • mallorcajeff
    Agreed some cars have a way about how they look and Ferrari get it right the 458 is amazing to look at (valeting it is a pain) but to drive very disapointing. A backwards step in my opinion.
    P1150256_zps044d6dc4.jpg
  • Grill
    Rolf F wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Very true - and if I did I suspect I'd find it rather better than the Italian stuff. But even if it has mobile soul, parked it has none! A supercar really does need to have something about it when it isn't moving and the NSX does little more for me than an Accord in that respect. Mind you, I think they have aged fairly well.

Hand-built aluminium supercar designed and engineered in the late 80s with input from one of the all-time greatest drivers that completely decimated the Ferrari 348... Comparing it to later iterations (355+) isn't accurate as the NSX never changed much aside from a bit of massaging and the 02+ minor front end refresh. Even then the NSX-R compared well to the 360 on the track. Crying shame you've never drive one.

A more suitable analogy would be the journalist write-ups on the McLaren mp4-12c as compared to the Ferrari 458.
  • rolf_f
    Grill wrote:
    A more suitable analogy would be the journalist write-ups on the McLaren mp4-12c as compared to the Ferrari 458.

Actually, I saw one of the new McLarens on the M25 on Sunday. It was black or dark blue and the slightly insipid styling made me assume it was a Noble until I realised it was too big for that - I can't work out if the dark colour was tasteful or a wasted opportunity on the basis that trashy fast cars should be a bit bling :lol:

Part of the problem with these cars though is the knowledge that you are spending an eyewatering amount of money for something that most of the time is a poor compromise. I'd rather an Elise than a Gallardo - I know the former would be more fun; the latter just too bulky.

And stop trying to get me into an NSX :lol:
  • Grill
    The NSX is a bargain! Go buy one! :D

I hear you, the most fun car I've ever owned was an Integra Type R. Compared to all the hundreds of other cars I've driven (beater to supercar to full-on race) I've never giggled so much whilst driving.

I feel the same way on my Foil, which is what I think any serious rider should strive towards :)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Grill wrote:
    The NSX is a bargain! Go buy one! :D

I hear you, the most fun car I've ever owned was an Integra Type R. Compared to all the hundreds of other cars I've driven (beater to supercar to full-on race) I've never giggled so much whilst driving.

I feel the same way on my Foil, which is what I think any serious rider should strive towards :)

Can't take driving comments seriously from anyone that suggests that their "most fun car" is a front wheel drive one.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    A big part of my job is driving a collection of super cars around mallorca (I am lucky I know) But I must admit I was a fair petrol head before I got this job. I have driven just about every supercar made over the last 7 years and have to say I now dont hate cars but I certainly dont like them like I used to. I think its a case of dont meet your heros.

I understand the element of people thinking big car small c0ck and there are plenty here in mallorca of those for sure. I do not own the cars I drive, and do not have a massive c0ck :roll:

Out of all the cars my favourite to drive was the Ferrari 599 or S65 AMG Limo. Worst Ferrari 458 and Mini Cooper S "auto" terrible gearbox.

Back on topic though That venge frame really was something.
    The shop is caldenty just past the aquerium in palma.
    Thanks, still can't seem to find it, it doesn't seem to come up on a google search, just a shop in Manacor which is miles away.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Grill
    Never driven one have you... ;)

It wasn't the fastest, the best handling, the best looking, the most comfortable, but it had a certain "je ne sais quoi" that always put a smile on my face and made me feel that every trip was an adventure. Of course I only had it 10 days before it was stolen, but I still cherish the time we had. Think of it like a once in a lifetime holiday romance.

Of course I tried replacing it with all manner of vehicles, but it just wasn't the same. Mind you the NSX came close, it just wasn't practical at the time.
  • lostboysaint
    Grill wrote:
    Never driven one have you... ;)

It wasn't the fastest, the best handling, the best looking, the most comfortable, but it had a certain "je ne sais quoi" that always put a smile on my face and made me feel that every trip was an adventure. Of course I only had it 10 days before it was stolen, but I still cherish the time we had. Think of it like a once in a lifetime holiday romance.

Of course I tried replacing it with all manner of vehicles, but it just wasn't the same. Mind you the NSX came close, it just wasn't practical at the time.

Yes I have. Crap, hard ride. Very good turn in, lift off oversteer. As FWD drive goes it was good, but still no great improvement on the 206 1.6GTI or 309 1.9GTI which were the benchmark.

FWD can never and will never be as much fun as RWD.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Grill
    Different strokes...

I grew up in the States so my access to French tat was quite limited ;)
  • lostboysaint
    Grill wrote:
    Different strokes...

That may also explain why you're understanding of what constitutes a "fun" car is very limited.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:
    Different strokes...

That may also explain why you're understanding of what constitutes a "fun" car is very limited.

In the same way that you probably haven't driven all the fun American cars I've had access to... ;)

As I said, for me it's all about the intangible. Doesn't really matter if the data sheet says it's better if I don't enjoy the ride. Bikes are the same.
  • mallorcajeff
    Opened a can of worms were! Can I suggest an S2000 into the mix. Great fun car for bargain money now.

Caldenty does have a branch in Manacor but not much in the shop
    The one in palma is the best. If you paste the address below it will take you to it on google maps and if you street view it, its the building low down with a red metal grill door. Its an old pic by the look of it as its a bike shop now and its virtually impossobile to see it from the road and has virtually no advertising! Most people probably dont know its there yet has the best bikes on the island.

Carrer Marbella, 3, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
  • Grill
    Really like the S2K, especially after they sorted the handling for the 02+ models. I bought an M Coupe instead back in the day as I loved the bread-wagon look.

I'm of to Mallorca in April so may have to take a look in Caldenty. Sounds like they have some nice stuff.
  • The most enjoyable drivers car is made in England.
    A little factory in Dartford :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • mallorcajeff
    ahh the Catherham rs500!

Yep pass by Grill its not a massive shop but they usually have 4 or 5 show stopping bikes in there.
  • poppit
    Opened a can of worms were! Can I suggest an S2000 into the mix. Great fun car for bargain money now.

Caldenty does have a branch in Manacor but not much in the shop
    The one in palma is the best. If you paste the address below it will take you to it on google maps and if you street view it, its the building low down with a red metal grill door. Its an old pic by the look of it as its a bike shop now and its virtually impossobile to see it from the road and has virtually no advertising! Most people probably dont know its there yet has the best bikes on the island.

Carrer Marbella, 3, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
    Cheers, we're biking for a week in May, based in Sineu, then in Palma for a few days, if we get chance we'll check it out, Gomila as well.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • mallorcajeff
    Sounds good. Im just up the road from Sineu in Sencelles at the moment. Gomila is a nice shop although not cheap. I take it you have ridden here before. If you want any pointers for routes or directions just let me know. Enjoy your trip.
  • poppit
    Sounds good. Im just up the road from Sineu in Sencelles at the moment. Gomila is a nice shop although not cheap. I take it you have ridden here before. If you want any pointers for routes or directions just let me know. Enjoy your trip.
    Thanks, I can see the shop now, would never have know it was there. We sometimes ride along the coast road from Palma when we're staying there, rent a couple of bikes from palma on bike, we'll try and call in.

Yes, had a week last year so had 6 days of riding, think we're going to head further over to the west coast this time, everythings booked except the bike hire so will be sorting that out in the next few weeks.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    poppit wrote:
    We sometimes ride along the coast road from Palma when we're staying there, rent a couple of bikes from palma on bike, we'll try and call in.

I thought I might just jump into this conversation after seeing you (often?) rent from Palma On Bike. I used them when I was there with work in October, and we found the bikes to be rather unreliable despite taking the premium ones - one broken chain, two broken wheels, one broken seat.

Are there any other bike shops people recommend, or do you just think that given that it was nearing the end of the high season we were unlucky?
  • The most enjoyable drivers car is made in England.
    A little factory in Dartford :wink:

And you have to be very "committed" to drive them 8)
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • poppit
    jasonbrim wrote:
    poppit wrote:
    We sometimes ride along the coast road from Palma when we're staying there, rent a couple of bikes from palma on bike, we'll try and call in.

I thought I might just jump into this conversation after seeing you (often?) rent from Palma On Bike. I used them when I was there with work in October, and we found the bikes to be rather unreliable despite taking the premium ones - one broken chain, two broken wheels, one broken seat.

Are there any other bike shops people recommend, or do you just think that given that it was nearing the end of the high season we were unlucky?
    We just has the standard hybrid type bike which is fine for tootling around Palma, done it a few times and they've been fine. There are a few hire ships in Arenal that look better. For our proper road biking we hired from a place in Puerto Pollenca.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • mallorcajeff
    yep palma on bike is like hiring a boris bike really. I would stick to somewhere a bit more targeted like the bike shops in arenal etc. Have not used anymyself but there are loads there.