I saw the most epic bike today

mallorcajeff
mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
edited January 2013 in Road general
Went for a ride today and there is a shop in palma always stacked with top level kit and saw a bike that was so nice its got me thinking of changing. Looked on the web to see what model it was but cant find it.
It was a Spech Venge but was built up with Lightweight weels 80mm and Campag EPS and every other top bit of kit you can find. The bit i dont get was it looked like a ltd model the frame was all black except a few bars of colour red a yellow and somethign else and had matchign saddle, both with a signature on it but couldnt work out what it said? Any ideas? Stunning machine. They had a shiv with lightweight disc wheel, supersix evo and C59 with Eps all in one little bit of the window! seems no crisis in spain where this shop is bloody hell.

Tried to take a picture but only had iphone with me and the reflection made a black bike impossible to see.

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    It wasn't the Mclaren Venge was it?

mclaren-verge-bike-1.jpg

Or maybe a Tom Boonen special edition?

01_boonen%20venge.jpg

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • There are a limeted number of Venge`s with EPS in the Specialized Concept Stores in the UK at a mere £11000.00 :shock: :shock:

Found it
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... spx?id=586
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • That was it the boonen ltd edition. Jesus it looks amazng in the flesh way better than the pics. Im off there next week to have a look at it, amazing bit of kit.
    thanks
  • Just to be clear, this is a good looking bike. ;)

IMG00774-20110821-1318.jpg

Indeed... Is that Chorus?
    left the forum March 2023
  • It's a mixture, according to the page it's from... http://velospace.org/node/39895
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    The spesh concept is lovely but that Mcclaren Venge is absolutely filthy. Stroll on.

IMHO

Yes, 20 years ago maybe. Probably a great bike even by today's standards, don't get me wrong.
    Personally, aesthetically it is hideous. Steel tubing never looks much different from bike to bike (the reason that puts me off titanium although it ticks all other boxes for me)
    Some of the frames produced in carbon just have the most beautiful lines. And of course they look fast! Maybe that is the problem for some people? The fact that most modern bikes scream performance and sometimes don't have it to match the looks. A bit like a tubby chav in a track suit.

Please don't hate me.

The venge looks like some sort of black panther and the holdsworth... I'm sorry it looks like a can of irn-bru
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    Just to be clear, this is a good looking bike. ;)

IMHO

Yes, 20 years ago maybe. Probably a great bike even by today's standards, don't get me wrong.
    Personally, aesthetically it is hideous. Steel tubing never looks much different from bike to bike (the reason that puts me off titanium although it ticks all other boxes for me)
    Some of the frames produced in carbon just have the most beautiful lines. And of course they look fast! Maybe that is the problem for some people? The fact that most modern bikes scream performance and sometimes don't have it to match the looks. A bit like a tubby chav in a track suit.

Please don't hate me.

The venge looks like some sort of black panther and the holdsworth... I'm sorry it looks like a can of irn-bru

What made from girders?? :P
  • declan1 wrote:
    It wasn't the Mclaren Venge was it?

mclaren-verge-bike-1.jpg

Or maybe a Tom Boonen special edition?

01_boonen%20venge.jpg

Back on topic, is this available in the uk, i know the Chester Specialized store doesnt have one.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s

The same cannot be said for the brickwork. Fletton Rustic Antique. The ugliest brick in the world :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Personally I think the older frames look rather boring and soulless. They are just tubes welded together, and while they may ride just as well, based on aesthetic reasons I wouldn't consider owning one. On the other hand these Venges look so amazing!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Venges are a bit like Honda NSXs - you can't help but admire them but there's really no soul to them. It's not a bike I'd give a second glance to (infact, I'd quite possibly not notice it in the first place!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Venges are a bit like Honda NSXs - you can't help but admire them but there's really no soul to them. It's not a bike I'd give a second glance to (infact, I'd quite possibly not notice it in the first place!).

Just because it's old doesn't mean it has soul.
    What is soul anyway?

Is it a passion injected juring the build phase? Modern frames (carbon) may be mass produced but they were also mass produced 'back in the day'

Yes a lot were handmade where machines could not be afforded, nowadays I read handmade as ' could contain human mistakes during build'

Modern bikes go through such vigorous testing during the design and prototype stage that even the budget ones don't differ that much. Yes the market is saturated in corparate companies but this just pushes innovation further and faster.
    I guess the imperfections make the soul of the machine do they?
  • rolf_f
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Just because it's old doesn't mean it has soul.
    What is soul anyway?

Actually, I haven't commented on whether I think old bikes have soul and modern ones do not. All I said was that the Venge is an impressive piece of kit that somehow lacks something - it's a bit dull really to me though I can see why people like them. And yes, the touch of man (or lack of it) has something to do with that. Something that is just banged out of a mould every five seconds does lack something and maybe the soul is in the imperfections.

I like my modern bikes and my old bikes. I suppose though I just can't be bothered to spend several £k on a bike frame that took a few minutes for a machine to make however good it might be.

As for innovation - law of diminishing returns applies. The last innovation of any importance was probably the carbon monocoque frame and before that the integrated brake and shifter. Then you probably have to go back to the slant parallelogram dereilleur of Suntour in the early 70s for something of real importance (maybe the clipless pedal deserves a place in there too). Innovation is overstated. Most of it is twiddling with the details. There's no real innovation in a Venge.
  • Ok maybe not innovation- progression yes.

I know that when going up that horrid/beautiful hill Im not thinking about soul, I'm thinking I wish someone with a computer could design a bike to make this a bit easier. Although saying all this if you don't like the look of the bike you won't enjoy it as much.

Rose tinted spectacles in some cases
  • i think half the enjoyment of todays bikes is how they look (for me anyway) The new versus the old thing I just dont get what people like about the old e-type jag I think the thing is pig ugly and some people say its the best lookign thing in the world. Each to their own I guess. For me its the ferrari F430 all day long.

If you see that boonen built up you would be hard pushed to not think christ that looks good. I will go look at it next week and see if i can get some cheeky pics but its hanging up high in the shop with about 4 frames stacked against it so its not very easy.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    i think half the enjoyment of todays bikes is how they look (for me anyway) The new versus the old thing I just dont get what people like about the old e-type jag I think the thing is pig ugly and some people say its the best lookign thing in the world. Each to their own I guess. For me its the ferrari F430 all day long.

If you see that boonen built up you would be hard pushed to not think christ that looks good. I will go look at it next week and see if i can get some cheeky pics but its hanging up high in the shop with about 4 frames stacked against it so its not very easy.

To me, as an engineer, I can admire the sophistication of a mass-produced product and the manufacturing technology of that product, but I love nothing more than to craft something with my hands. A truly skilled machinist on a machine tool, driving the precision of the tool without having a CNC in between or even a digital readout is a special skill and held by few nowadays. I guess that's why I feel these skills hold value.

As for my favourite car it has to be the Alfa Romea Tipo 33 Stradale...knocks a F430 into a cocked hat IMO lol.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • thats is a pretty alfa granted. For me the f430 wingmirrors are a work of art, driving it is amazing, having said that though I still prefer riding my bike to driving supercars. Well its 2013 now time for bike shopping i think.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I could be tempted to Spesh with a Venge...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    This is one of those discussions that could run forever. I personally find the curved top tubes of all the Specialized models awful, I couldn't own one for as long as alternatives are available.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Went for a ride today and there is a shop in palma always stacked with top level kit and saw a bike that was so nice its got me thinking of changing. Looked on the web to see what model it was but cant find it.
    It was a Spech Venge but was built up with Lightweight weels 80mm and Campag EPS and every other top bit of kit you can find. The bit i dont get was it looked like a ltd model the frame was all black except a few bars of colour red a yellow and somethign else and had matchign saddle, both with a signature on it but couldnt work out what it said? Any ideas? Stunning machine. They had a shiv with lightweight disc wheel, supersix evo and C59 with Eps all in one little bit of the window! seems no crisis in spain where this shop is bloody hell.

Tried to take a picture but only had iphone with me and the reflection made a black bike impossible to see.
    Which shop was it and where, never seem to be able to find a good one in Palma, we're there in May so wouldn't mind a look.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • rolf_f
    Lycra-Byka wrote:
    Ok maybe not innovation- progression yes.

I know that when going up that horrid/beautiful hill Im not thinking about soul, I'm thinking I wish someone with a computer could design a bike to make this a bit easier. Although saying all this if you don't like the look of the bike you won't enjoy it as much.

Rose tinted spectacles in some cases

Oh I know where you are coming from there - my Raleigh is not dissimilar to that Holdsworth and every climb I make on it I feel sure would be easier on my Carbon bikes. But then I am never sure if that is simply down to the big hard gears on the Raliegh or that maybe I always understimate the terrain I ride the Raleigh on (that bike lives in West Sussex rather than West Yorkshire and the two aren't as widely split in terms of difficult as I sometimes think). My (much heavier) Dawes Horizon seems easier on the hills and that does have the gears for it. Gears counts for more than weight - even on climbs.

But there we are talking over 30 years of development. That Venge would make no difference at all to how easier you found the hill to climb than any other +£1k carbon road bike available today.
  • I don't think even if I were a lottery winner I could ride a 10k+ bike. I'm sure they are awesome but its just not right.

It'd be like driving a matt black Lamborghini Murcielago, You'd look like a twat!

8k maybe though
  • A matt black Lamborghini is amazing, how do you look like a fool?
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    A matt black Lamborghini is amazing, how do you look like a fool?

Just by being in a lamborghini.

Like the venge tho. Holdsworth just looks dull, like most steel bikes imo
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    A matt black Lamborghini is amazing, how do you look like a fool?

er.....like.... BIG CAR....small c0ck :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Hmmmm, I hear jealousy speaking.
  • No, not at all, I just think its excessive.