2»

Comments

• DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    MattC59 wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think he's more than qualified!
    No dispute there. But ask yourself, why now? Why did Ben Ainslie - equally as qualified, and arguably should have been in there after Beijing - get in the mix now? Why are people who have one notable success on their sporting CVs in there now? Because 'call me Dave' wants the glory. Because we can't wait to honour people after a period of reflection in case the political glory falls elsewhere.

So, you don't think he would have got the award if someone other that Cameron had been in government ? Horse sh!t, it's got nothing to do with Cameron getting the glory.
    If you look at my earlier post you'll see I said Blair was just as bad. We used to wait until careers were complete rather than go for the instant gratification. That changed, I'd guess around the early nineties. I liked it the old way. That's all.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    I also think it's rather silly to effectively shun a system because you don't like the concept of something which nobody living had any hand in creating, and on which the sun set 70 years ago.
    You've got the principal requirements for change in one sentence there. The system is ridiculous, and one wonders what the future of Britain will be like; however it goes we'll be divided. As a nation we should be thinking about who's going to put food on the table in 20 years rather than celebrating divisive and corrosive systems of differentiation and privilege. Hector Sants was knighted after -by Government admission - being either incompetent or indolent (some would suggest both). Odd company for an accomplished and talented athlete.