British Cycling ride membership £24

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited February 2013 in Road general
Can't see any negatives for £24 for a year and piece of mind, anyone else any thoughts or alternatives etc?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/member ... membership

Ride Membership Benefits

For just £24 a year (that's just £2 a month) you will enjoy:
Weekly email, full of exclusive offers, news and tips
Up to £10m third party liability insurance
Free legal support and advice from our expert team
British Cycling Mapping
Save up to 40% on TrainingPeaks Premium Athlete edition
Save a minimum of 12% at the British Cycling Wiggle shop
Save 40% on CNP Professional cycling products and 25% on other CNP products
Save 10% at Halfords stores nationwide
Pre-sale and discounted tickets to major UK cycle events
Save up to £23 a year on magazines including Cycling Plus, Procycling and Mountain Biking UK
Get a free copy of Rouleur and Privateer worth up to £10 each
Save 10% on bike insurance - guaranteed lowest price bike insurance
Save 10% on Cycle Rescue, an emergency roadside recovery service for cyclists
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• I've been a member for the past couple of years, and (personally) think it's worth the money :)

Have used their website pretty often and it has a wealth of information available :)
  • allen
    allen Posts: 214
    Just do it...if you have an accident it will be the best £24 you have ever spent .
  • p1tse
    Brilliant

Thanks. Didn't know if there are other choices or feedback on if having to claim

Will definitely go for it. Thanks
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I've just saved you £6 - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/common/voucher/print.aspx?voucher=britishcycling
    Join British Cycling online, pay by Direct Debit and enter "TFL13" in the voucher code.
    You don't need to live in London.

If you don't have 3rd Party insurance through a club or anything then it's definitely worth £18 a year.
    I've made that back and more using the 12% Wiggle discount.

An alternative is CTC http://www.ctc.org.uk/membership/membership-for-individuals-families
  • p1tse
    Merry Christmas
    I'll take any savings

Big thanks
  • The TFL discount is only £6 now? It was £12 (so 50%) when I did it a couple of months ago.

Yeah the Wiggle discounts are good, I saved substantially more than my £12 subscription when stocking up on warm clothing for the winter, but do be aware that there's not great discounts on everything. It's basically the Platinum Customer discount you get for spending a certain amount each year and doesn't apply to all items (components especially don't have much of a discount IIRC) or to already discounted items. At one point I managed to link my Wiggle and BC memberships and it automatically applied the Platinum discount so I didn't have to keep going through the BC shop, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore :(

Well worth the money IMO.
  • Gizmodo
    The TFL discount is only £6 now? It was £12 (so 50%) when I did it a couple of months ago.

Yeah the Wiggle discounts are good, I saved substantially more than my £12 subscription when stocking up on warm clothing for the winter, but do be aware that there's not great discounts on everything. It's basically the Platinum Customer discount you get for spending a certain amount each year and doesn't apply to all items (components especially don't have much of a discount IIRC) or to already discounted items. At one point I managed to link my Wiggle and BC memberships and it automatically applied the Platinum discount so I didn't have to keep going through the BC shop, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore :(
    I've never managed to link Wiggle to my BC membership, as far as I knew you have to shop at http://wiggle.britishcycling.org.uk/ then when you "Check Out" it asks for your BC membership number and surname to apply the discount. As far as I knew it was 12% on everything at Wiggle, but I could be wrong. You are right about already discouted items, if something already has 13% or more off then that tops the BC 12%, you don't get an additional discount, you only get the highest one.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I tried this but the BC web site said that the code was out of date. The TFL web site said it was valid until 31/12/13.

Has anyone else got this to work today?
  • p1tse
    So is the discount additional to wiggle sale prices or which ever is highest of only 12% in total?
  • Gizmodo
    p1tse wrote:
    So is the discount additional to wiggle sale prices or which ever is highest of only 12% in total?
    Sorry I thought I had answered this one in my post:
    You are right about already discouted items, if something already has 13% or more off then that tops the BC 12%, you don't get an additional discount, you only get the highest one.
    So you only get 1 discount, whichever is highest, the BC 12% OR the sale % - you do not get both.
  • Gizmodo
    lotus49 wrote:
    I tried this but the BC web site said that the code was out of date. The TFL web site said it was valid until 31/12/13.

Have you tried "TFL12" given that it's still 2012. If that doesn't work, wait a week and try "TFL13" again.

Let us know how you get on.
  • lotus49
    Gizmodo wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:

Have you tried "TFL12" given that it's still 2012. If that doesn't work, wait a week and try "TFL13" again.

Let us know how you get on.

I did try TFL12 but that wasn't recognised. Your other idea is a good one. I'll wait until 2013 and try again. I usually interpret "out of date" as meaning after expiry but it could just as well mean that it is not yet valid. I'll report back in a week.
  • boogi11
    boogi11 Posts: 354
    Use cscheme you will get it for 18 quid, just used it a minute ago
  • Or if you are thinking of joining a club you may get membership to either BC or CTC via them. I get both my club membership and CTC membership for £24.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    edited December 2012
    Gizmodo wrote:
    p1tse wrote:
    Sorry I thought I had answered this one in my post:
    You are right about already discouted items, if something already has 13% or more off then that tops the BC 12%, you don't get an additional discount, you only get the highest one.
    So you only get 1 discount, whichever is highest, the BC 12% OR the sale % - you do not get both.

Yep, exactly. It seemed to have linked my accounts after the first time I purchased through the British Cycling Wiggle shop (logging in with my usual Wiggle account) and then for a while afterwards when I logged in to the Wiggle site directly, it said 'You qualify for Platinum discount' and all of the prices were discounted as with the BC Wiggle Store. Alas now it has reverted to normal, so not sure what happened. :? It was convenient whilst it lasted though!

As for some of the other BC member benefits I've looked in to using, I've found them mostly to be a bit rubbish. IIRC the 'free' issues of Rouleur/Privateer require you to sign up for a 12 month membership and then cancel it after you receive your first issue or some rubbish like that; I couldn't be bothered with it.

I also looked into getting travel insurance through them for a trip to Flanders in the New Year. They basically redirect you to their insurance partner's website for a quote (with a 10% BC discount code or whatever), but it still works out more expensive/less comprehensive cover than other sports insurance companies online.

On the whole, I'd say def worth it for the Wiggle discount/BC event discount/free legal advice/personal liability cover, but don't read too much into the other 'benefits'!
    lotus49 wrote:

This thread says the code used to be 'TForL12' not sure if it's still valid.
  • p1tse
    Thanks all

Will give it a go in next couple of days an report back

Gizmodo, thanks for clarifications
  • £10 off if you buy through Quidco http://www.quidco.com/british-cycling/?ac
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    TforL12 is the code - now only £10.67 discount - used to be £12.

You also get 10% off for paying by direct debit, making the total roughly £12. I would guess this is why they reduced the discount on the code as you used to pay a total of £10.80 by doubling up discounts.

If you get quidco too - you could be paying as little as £2 for the year!!!
  • I see they offer legal advice regarding accidents with cars. Would this act retrospectively as I'm having legal problems with and accident that happened in September?
  • k3vinjam3s wrote:
    I see they offer legal advice regarding accidents with cars. Would this act retrospectively as I'm having legal problems with and accident that happened in September?

I very much doubt it, but if you have contents insurance for your house check the terms and conditions of that. If you're lucky you might have some applicable cover on there.
  • I see they offer legal advice regarding accidents with cars. Would this act retrospectively as I'm having legal problems with and accident that happened in September?

You would have to be a current member when the incident occurred to be able to use their services. Exactly why it's worth being a member :wink:

Are you a member of a union? They usually offer free legal advice and support to their members.
  • Seems these are only available to brand new sign ups, it appears I was a member around 7 years ago although I don't recall it, but I can't sign up as a new member as they already recognise me on the system.
  • Just applied for membership, via the TopCashback (rather than quidco) site which gives a straight £10 cashback, then used the tfl code for another tenner off, then paid by direct debit which gave a further 10% saving.

Total cost to me -£2

Now I'm off to shop at wiggle :)
  • lotus49
    wavefront wrote:
    ... then used the tfl code for another tenner off...

Did you use the TFL13 code today and did it work? It says "OUT OF DATE" when I try to use that code.
  • Gizmodo
    lotus49 wrote:
    wavefront wrote:
    ... then used the tfl code for another tenner off...
    Did you use the TFL13 code today and did it work? It says "OUT OF DATE" when I try to use that code.
    Have you tried the "TforL12" code that reading said worked?
  • Hi,

Try the 'TforL12' code - seemed to be ok to get the £10.67 off a few mins ago,

Good luck!
  • lotus49
    wavefront wrote:
    Hi,

Try the 'TforL12' code - seemed to be ok to get the £10.67 off a few mins ago,

Good luck!

It worked - great stuff. I got £10.67 off using the TforL12 code and another 10% off for paying by Direct Debit so it only cost £12 altogether.
  • p1tse
    Right I'll be doing the same above but will give it ago via quidco as registered
    But need the babies to go to sleep!!
  • p1tse
    thanks to all the posters above. I tried my luck on quidco so will see if the £10 tracks.

but i signed up with TforL12 promotion code and 10% off direct debit:
    Description Price
    Total (including introductory discount) £12.00
    Ride Membership, Senior Rider £24.00
    Promotional Code TforL12 (£10.67 discount) £-10.67

I did read that they will continue to take for annual subscription come renewal date and give notice 10 days before.
    so to get this offer again possibly, will need to cancel subscription nearer the year anniversary
  • is it worth joining?