Turbo Trainer Tyre 650 x 23c or 20c

al4340
al4340 Posts: 37
Hi

I'm quite new to the forum and very new to turbo trainers, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Having been given an old turbo trainer to try over the winter, I have set up my old Cannondale Multisport 900 on it. The tyres have become very shiney and I was wondering if it would be worth buying a 'Turbo Trainer Tyre', I'd say the tyre on there now is about shot and I'm struggling to find a turbo trainer which will fit the 650 wheels, does anyone know if a) Where | can get one and b) If they do exist is worth getting one?

Thanks in advance
Al

Comments

• cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    al4340 wrote:

The tyres have become very shiney and I was wondering if it would be worth buying a 'Turbo Trainer Tyre',l

If your tyre has become shiny and slips them get a rag damp with petrol and give it a good rub. It will matt the surface and make it less likely to slip.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • al4340
    Thanks for that tip, it started slipping this morning so I'll give that a go.

Thanks
    Al
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I use a regular tyre on my turbo and it works fine, but if you also use the tyre on the road then be VERY careful as you'll have very little grip if they tyre is polished from the turbo. If you regularly switch between road and turbo with the tyre then it's not really a problem, but if you use it solely on the turbo for a while then you want to scrub it a bit before using it on wet roads in particular.
    More problems but still living....
  • al4340
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll make I give it a good scrub or get another tyre before putting it back on the road.

Thanks again
    Al