Nutrition whilst on long rides?

124»

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    okgo wrote:
    Where are you getting those watt figures? At your size for you to go 20mph avg over rolling terrain you'd need more power than me (12.5 stone who needs about 250 to avg 20 mph and burns 1k cals per hour at that power) which is why I thought your figures might be about right but you certainly need much more than 200, and more than me too likely, nearer 300 for someone your size perhaps.

Not really, I don't weigh much less than you but can do century rides at 20 mph on what I would call flat/rolling roads even in the winter, I don't put out that much power on a century ride.

To be honest if the roads are fairly good, my average speed over a hilly route doesn't really change that much as the speed you can get from the downhills makes up for the hills (as long as the hills are not stupidly steep, and the downhill part needs to be on the brakes because of the roads). Rolling roads mean very little change as the speed stays fairly high.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    SBezza wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Where are you getting those watt figures? At your size for you to go 20mph avg over rolling terrain you'd need more power than me (12.5 stone who needs about 250 to avg 20 mph and burns 1k cals per hour at that power) which is why I thought your figures might be about right but you certainly need much more than 200, and more than me too likely, nearer 300 for someone your size perhaps.

Not really, I don't weigh much less than you but can do century rides at 20 mph on what I would call flat/rolling roads even in the winter, I don't put out that much power on a century ride.

To be honest if the roads are fairly good, my average speed over a hilly route doesn't really change that much as the speed you can get from the downhills makes up for the hills (as long as the hills are not stupidly steep, and the downhill part needs to be on the brakes because of the roads). Rolling roads mean very little change as the speed stays fairly high.

You still spend more time going up the hills than going down them so average speed does drop even with slopes of only 1% or 2% gradient. A 70 kilo rider will need 32 more watts to climb even a 1% gradient at 20 mph than on the flat. Not all the lost time is made up coming down the 1% gradient.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    SBezza wrote:
    okgo wrote:

You still spend more time going up the hills than going down them so average speed does drop even with slopes of only 1% or 2% gradient. A 70 kilo rider will need 32 more watts to climb even a 1% gradient at 20 mph than on the flat. Not all the lost time is made up coming down the 1% gradient.

It drops very marginally to be honest, most riders would actually ride up the hill just as fast and keep the watts up, and then the watts would drop on the way down. When you are talking about averages over 4-5 hours the differences really are small.